Thread: Howdy Dave

Distinguished Community Member

Default Howdy Dave

Howdy Dave's Father died today Friday 5/11/2012.

These words are Howdy Dave's:
    "I was with my father when he died today at the Episcopal Church Home.
    His death was fast, painless and peaceful.
    I got there at about 9:30 this morning and said the Jesus Prayer with him for about 40 minutes:
    "Lord, Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on us."

I called my priest and asked him if he had any appropriate prayers for someone to use during the vigil. He said that he would be over with appropriate prayers, but meantime just read the Psalms.

We started with Psalm 1 and (omitting inappropriate Psalms for the situation) we got to Psalm 32.

Then they brought me some lunch -- a fish fry.
    Dad, mom and I used to go out for a fish fry all the time when we lived at RIT. I thought "How appropriate... I'll have one last fish fry with dad."
    My priest then arrived and we started doing prayers for those who are close to death. While we were doing that, he died. We finished with prayers for the dead.
    What a way to go!
    Peaceful, painless and fast with a family member and a clergyman saying prayers over you.

With the Saints give rest, O Christ, to the soul of Your servant Robert where there is no pain, nor sorrow, nor suffering, but life everlasting."
    Dad will have a military funeral at:

10:30 am.
    Wednesday, May 16
    ... In the Chapel at:
    The Episcopal Church Home
    505 Mount Hope Avenue
    Rochester, NY 14620

The bugler will be the head of the RIT Music Department! (Dad was a faculty member at RIT.)

Linnie
    Last edited by linniec; 05-11-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Aw, (((Dave))).

I'm so sorry to hear this!! :(

, Friend!!

LIZARD :(
    LIZ in Li'l Rhody; hydrocephalus dx'ed at 3 weeks old. No shunt surgery in 32 years! Epilepsy well-controlled and autoimmune issues being worked on. Mom to Caren, 21, successful ablation 4/18/07 for WPW; and Andrew, 18 (autism dx'ed at 2 1/2, 13 mm ACM dx'ed at 5 1/2, no surgery, doing awesome!!) Wife of 22 years to Don...and friend to Gina. RIP. 9/5/66-10/22/07 :(

http://s.excoboard.com/Livingwithhyd..._Gina_Libonate
    http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/autism-chiari/

Community Member

Howdy, so sorry to here that your dad passed. I am glad it was peaceful. My mom died April 28th. She got real sick real fast. She was found to have lung, breast , bone and lymph node cancer. She had found out she had stage 4 cancer about 2 weeks before she died but had been seeing a cancer doc for a blood cancer for years . He missed the rest. She suffered. I am struggling through my sadness. Hugs to you.

Distinguished Community Member howdydave's Avatar

My sister had just gotten my father into the Hospice program before she went home yesterday.
    (She had been a Hospice nurse for a year.)

With Hospice he got all the medication that he needed to aleviate any pain (my father was getting morphine hourly,) clear up his breathing and make his passing an easy one.

If anybody has a relative who is getting close to the end, Hospice is the way to go!
    Last edited by howdydave; 05-11-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    Dave
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com

Distinguished Community Member Barque's Avatar

My condolences Dave. I'm glad to hear his passing was made easier. I have sat with 2 people that passed at home alone and it was rough.

My condolences Dave to you and your family. My prayers will be with all of you. May God Bless You!

Sue

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

I'm so sorry Dave. I think he was very happy that his son was with him in those final moments.
    Lorraine (lor)

Dave, I too am so sorry for your loss. I am glad that you were able to be with him and make it a peaceful experience for both of you. I was not able to be with my father when he passed last July. Allow yourself the time you need. Tattoo

Distinguished Community Member jingle's Avatar

Dave - I'm so sorry you've lost your father. I'm praying for your comfort and peace.