Thread: Our Children Are So Beautiful - According to a High Fashion Photographer

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Default Our Children Are So Beautiful - According to a High Fashion Photographer

I love clothes, I love fashion, I love feeling wonderful in clothes I love, I love shoes, I love getting dressed up for parties, I love getting my hair done, I love the way I feel when I get dressed up and go out. That's the girl in me. The activist in me makes me interested in the connection between that feeling of wonderfulness and dignity. And then I wonder why everyone, including people with disabilities shouldn't be able to have that feeling through clothing (as just one of any number of the roots of dignity and self-esteem).

When we were living in England, I began to have an idea for a photographic campaign involving high fashion and aspirational images involving people with visible differences. (It was an idea that I shopped around, but it never went anywhere). I was already involved with supporting Canadian designers living in London and an article was written in Chatelaine Magazine about how my husband Jim and I connected Canada, fashion, and philanthropy. Jim and I had organized a fashion show with Brown's Boutique at our residence, involving 20 super models and 20 of the world's best designers. In an hour and a half, with the help of a Sotheby's live auctioneer, we raised 100,000 pounds for Women for Women International - a charity that assists women recover from war through human rights training, skills acquisition and economic empowerment. Women for Women works with our Canadian troops in Afghanistan to help women survivors of war there. This is a photographic taken at our charity auction - I am shown wearing Canadian designer Erdem with my dear friend Joan Burstein, founder of the iconic Brown's Boutique in London.

So, yesterday, when a friend of my daughter Natalie's sent me a facebook link to a TED talk on the photographic beauty of children with disabilities, I was riveted. Rick Guidotti is a Vogue and Elle fashion photographer with a huge body of art and couture work under his belt. He is used to taking pictures of the world's most gorgeous women wearing the world's most beautiful clothes. But, one day in Manhattan, he glimpsed another kind of beauty on the street. A girl getting onto a bus had long white hair, very pale skin and blue eyes. Later, after researching, he discovered that this mystery girl had albinism, or the absence of pigmentation in her hair and skin. In his TED talk, Guidotti tells the fascinating and inspirational story of finding and photographing that girl from the bus stop as well as hundreds of others from around the world including Africa where albino children are sometimes murdered as witches.

But Guidotti did not stop at albinism in his search for beauty in diversity. He has done photographic projects with all sorts of children with physical differences. I urge you to watch his presentation. http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/TEDxE...dotti-Redefini

The original post with photos and live links is at http://donnathomson.blogspot.ca
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Donna))))))

Rick Guidotti is my new favorite photographer! Wow! What an awesome human being he is! And his photographs are so wonderful, as he truly captures the essence of his subject. The beauty of each of those children is overwhelming and spirit-lifting. They redefine "natural beauty."

You should contact Rick and ask him to photograph your gorgeous son. And his gorgeous mum. You looked so lovely in that Erdem design. In fact, he should photograph Jim and Natalie and all of you!!!

How true it is that clothes and grooming make us feel better about ourselves. I don't think that is vanity. I think it's a natural instinct to want to be attractive to others as well as to ourselves.

Because Jon has numerous appliances and is stuck in bed most of the time, he wears hospital gowns. They just facilitate all of his care providing needs, and it's difficult to get a t-shirt on and off now.

I didn't want to see hospital gowns on him at home, so I returned to the on line designer hospital gown site I had used for Michael. Michael had several of their gowns, and now Jon has a bunch of them in tropical patterns. He and we refer to them as "shirts."

Jon also uses bandanas (mostly he just likes to have one in his hand, as we used them to wipe drool for most of his life and now it's a habit). I ordered him what he calls "hankies" depicting various holidays, and in all different colors and patterns to match his shirts. His hanky and his shirt are always color coordinated. It makes him feel better. It lets him be stylish instead of institutional. And that is definitely an important part of his well being.

Looking nice makes us feel better about ourselves, which makes us healthier.

And we are all beautiful, as clearly shown through the lens of Rick's camera.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Praying for Nick and your mum ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Blog Entries

Wow! Amazing guy and amazing story! Love this!! Thanks for posting. I love how he tries to help them find support as well as showing them how beautiful they really are.

Blog Entries

I am so grateful that my friends here liked Rick Guidotti's work - he's really changing peoples' perceptions of beauty, I think. Rose, I love your story about Jon's shirts and bandanas and 'funnylegs4', so glad that you love this guy too! We should start a Rick Guidotti fan club ;)
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com