PTSD and startle reflex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PTSD and startle reflex

I have found a lot of things on the internet recently about people with PTSD having a heightened startle reflex,somewhat similar to the startle reflex issue seen in Cerebral Palsy. Do all people with PTSD have a heightened startle reflex??
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

I don't know if all people with PTSD have a stronger startle reaction, I just know I have it in spades, but it seems like I've always had it that way. I figure mine is a result of an overactive sympathetic nervous system that contributes to my having CFS. You just do NOT want to creep up behind me & say BOO! I'd be shrieking for hours & not be able to stop, even while I'm laughing. All you quiet walkers do not understand what you're doing to us.
    Sher
    My Life Menu: CFS probably since birth, full flavored since the 80s, with Fibromyalgia, Major Depression with a side order of Anxiety and Agoraphobia sauce, Restless Leg Syndrome with spicy Other Sleep Disorders, 11 Eye Surgeries, a generous helping of Gut Problems

Comment

I developed PTSD 13 years ago and my startle reflex was out of this world!! It has slowly abated over the past few years - (I honestly didn't think it would get better) with mindful meditation. It is now only the most dramatic and sudden of noises that set me off. But yes, I think that is one of the determining factors of PTSD - you're always on hightened alert - it is so draining!
      sigpicTo see a world in a grain of sand,
      And a heaven in a wild flower,
      Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
      And eternity in an hour. - William Blake.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachgirl View Post
        I developed PTSD 13 years ago and my startle reflex was out of this world!! It has slowly abated over the past few years - (I honestly didn't think it would get better) with mindful meditation. It is now only the most dramatic and sudden of noises that set me off. But yes, I think that is one of the determining factors of PTSD - you're always on hightened alert - it is so draining!
        Funny you should say that about meditation. I'm doing something similar for my CP and it has done wonders for me. I was like "Ok, I had no idea CP worked like this! I wish someone had told me this years ago!" The person working with me puts it this way "Your body is always in red alert and we need to teach it that it doesn't have to be" And yeah I still have a startle reflex and man is it draining when it does go off but now it doesn't go off as often and that is a major relief.
        My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

I did a presentation on TBI and Cerebral Palsy back in October 2015 that you can read about here Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... where I was told by the event organizer that most people do have a startle reflex in PTSD. She said it was on the DSM-5 which is a book where the symptoms of different psychological disorders were listed. She was surprised to learn I also had a pronounced startle reflex is the form of the Moro Reflex. Small world eh?

Comment

Working...
          X