Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pharmacy Shorted Me on Pills---Advice Please

Distinguished Community Member

Exclamation Pharmacy Shorted Me on Pills---Advice Please

I brought in my paper prescriptions last Friday. I always get seven prescriptions, so I admit that I don't always double-check each one on the spot for accuracy. I'd have to take the pill bottles out of the bag and make sure everything was correct. That would be awkward and embarassing as there is always a line of people at my busy pharmacy.

My problem: I was just putting away my prescriptions that I'd taken home. I noticed that the one for Avinza (oral morphine) was filled incorrectly. I always get 180 pills per month, and I was only given 120 pills. Also, the directions always say, "Take 6 capsules every morning". This time, the directions said, "Take one capsule every 6 hours every morning". That latter sentence obviously doesn't even make grammatical sense.

I don't think anyone did this on purpose (at least I hope not!). They are a very busy pharmacy and they were probably rushing to fill it.

I plan to call the pharmacy tomorrow. I hope they still have my paper script---do pharmacies keep those? Then they could see what my doctor really wrote. I've been taking the same dose for at least two years, so this should not make sense to the pharmacist. They can always call my doctor to verify.

Since Avinza is a Schedule II med, will the pharmacy give me grief about not wanting to do a "partial fill" when it was THEIR MISTAKE? I know that this pharmacy refuses to do partial fills, but this was THEIR mistake.

It wouldn't be fair at all for me to have to go through a whole month with insufficient meds when the pharmacist made an error. Also, my doctor's office is an hour away, so I can't just drive there and get a new script. I'm afraid that the pharmacist may ask me to drive all the way to my doctor's office, but that just isn't realistic given the amount of pain I'm in.

If this has happened to anyone else, please let me know what happened in your case. How should I proceed? Any advice is welcome!

Best Wishes,
    Eva

I should add that even I were somehow able to get a new script from my doctor for 60 pills, I would be charged an additional $150 because Avinza is a brand name med. My insurance charges $150 no matter the number of pills. I certainly don't want to pay $300 dollars in one month when it was THEIR mistake.

Eva

Hi Eva, I would call the pharmacy and ask to speak to the manager and tell your story. I have had errors from two pharmacies and it did me no good to talk to whomever answers the phone or is at the counter. My pharmacy keeps the scripts for a bit. I would offer to bring in a bottle from previous scripts and show them the amount and how it is written and if they still have issue, have them call your doctor and the office should confirm your script has not changed.

You have my sympathy, what a hassle....like it is isn't already enough work to manage the pain and all your meds.

Take care, Diandra

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

I would not wait to call the pharmacy because the longer you wait the less likely they are to be amenable to filling the missing pills.

I agree with Christina about calling right away. Diandra is right that this is a big hassle and won't necessarily be easy to solve. I wish you luck and hope that you get your full monthly dose without it costing you more money.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Distinguished Community Member Pharmacist.steve's Avatar

Pharmacies are required to keep a paper Rx for a minimum of two years.. some states and insurance companies mandate longer. The pharmacy is mandated by DEA/FED law to maintain a perpetual inventory on all CII's.. if there was a mis-count...then it will show of there that they have 60 tabs/caps on the shelf than the perpetual inventory states.

I suspect that when the wrong directions (4 doses a day) were typed in... the computer calculated a 30 days supply and spit out a label for 120 doses. It would appear obvious that the Pharmacist did not check the techs work or their own work... It should be quite easy to solve.. and you should not have to pay for the extra 60 doses.. All they have to do is reverse the insurance charge for the 120 and rebill for the correct amount on the same day date as it was first filled...

Talk to the PIC ( Pharmacist in Charge)... he/she is responsible to the Pharmacy Board for all that goes wrong in the pharmacy. If you get no where with them and it is a chain.. tell them that you are going to contact the corporate dept for theft and diversion and let them sift it out.
    Here is the complaint form for the CA Board of Pharmacy... your Rx has the WRONG DIRECTIONS and could have thrown you into withdrawal .. even if you could have figured out what the directions actually meant as printed
    https://www.dca.ca.gov/webapps/pharmacy/complaint.php
    I have some backdoor contacts with the CA BOP.. if you need some help...
    Pharmacist Steve
    www.pharmaciststeve.com

Thanks so much for your replies!

Fortunately, when I called the pharmacy on Sunday I happened to get the pharmacist who had filled the script on Friday. If she hadn't been on duty, it may well have been a hassle.

The pharmacist immediately saw that the script had been filled incorrectly and had me come in to pick up the additional 60 pills, no extra charge. She told me I was lucky to have contacted her, as I might have had problems if I hadn't dealt with her directly.

She was really sorry and said "this shouldn't have happened". I told her I understand that people can make mistakes and accepted her apology.

Given that Avinza is a C-II med, that's a rather big mistake, though. There are so many laws regarding C-II meds needing to be counted out EXACTLY. I know it was an innocent mistake. I'm just glad that I caught it in time! If a pharmacist wasn't legit, this would be a great way for them to pocket "extra" pills.

I guess the lesson is that we all should count out every single one of our prescriptions before leaving the parking lot. What a hassle! Oh well, no harm done this time. It was easily resovled, thank goodness.

Eva

Eva, glad to hear it got settled without much hassle. I am glad this doesn't happen often as I can't sit out in the car and count my meds or even get home and do it. The best I can do is check the label and make sure it is right.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Hi Eva...good to hear this went smoothly and you reached the very same pharmacist. I have learned from you and will try to check my meds in the parking lot, although, honestly, I never have. Once again, we all learn a great deal from Steve. Thanks, Steve, I have saved that complaint link. Take care, Diandra

Blessed be
    Alex44
    Skypilot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast