Thread: 2 Buttons 2 Retirement : Pain doesn't retire

New Community Member

Default 2 Buttons 2 Retirement : Pain doesn't retire

Instead of stringing out my first intro post, I thought it time to start a new one. B2 you say that you're over the hill. I have a question. What's it like over there? Anything interesting?

The transition from sleeping horizontal to upright and moving flares pain in the places that hurt as bones and joints bear weight. First thing in the morning I find my pain levels the highest. That timing lines up with mental attitude- low tide on mood. The prospect of dealing with the traffic jams thickly populated by mean people.

Mood affects pain and pain affects mood. Don't ya think?

So my plans for retirement is to turn my whole week into one big weekend. Low stress, stopping to smell the roses, writing stories, reading books, riding bikes, maybe building a bike from scratch. Yeah, I know the question is what will I do on week 2.

Health care bills are a real concern. The bills go up as income goes down. So it goes. The satisfaction of a life well lived, and appreciation for two beautiful daughters take my mind off pain- off money temporarily at least. some of the toughest persons I know are little old ladies- they bear pain others would cry from, yet they always seem to have a kind smile for everyone. Mom wherever you are...this one's for you

Distinguished Community Member

RustyBonez you bring up some good things as you look towards retirement. I have found the medical bills have decreased because I am not following all leads to get back to the old me. As a result there is no reason to see my doctor unless I am ready for another spinal surgery and that will only be when paralysis is imminent. I have gotten off the medical merry-go-round as I have accepted my condition so no more scans or any other test. I just see my regular doctor on a scheduled basis to keep up with my meds.

Yes moods do affect our pain and the current thinking is that stress actually causes a physical change in our pain receptors. On the other hand pain effects our moods too. My only real regret, I have many if dreams were allowed, is that I pushed too long and I have made my retirement very difficult. You are close enough to retirement that you can do week one and then turn around and do it the next week repeating the process as long as you want. I would give anything to be able to get up the same time every day and be able to do a limited number of chores and hobbies with some bad days mixed in where I had to take it easy because of the increased pain. Unfortunately I loved my job as a football coach and high school teacher so I pushed at least 5 years longer to work that I should have. Now I struggle through each day dealing with severe pain and not having any schedule I can count on because my sleep is interrupted by pain until my body crashes for 2 hours or more from exhaustion. I a long way I am saying to enjoy your retirement and take pleasure in the things you can do not the things you can't. I take as much joy from each day as I can and God has made it easier the past two years as I watch my young granddaughter grow up letting grandpa be her favorite when she comes over.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

New Community Member

Mark,

I have to hand it to you for hanging in there. It sounds like you must have had quite a struggle trying to balance coaching and being in the type of pain that you describe. I thank you for your reply and for reminding me to be thankful for not only the good days- but for the good hours and minutes mixed in wherever we can find them. Cheers, Here's hoping that you are having a good day

Distinguished Community Member

RustyBonz, yes I did have a good day today. It was the first one in several weeks where I had some energy and spark during the day. Maybe I will get back to the routine of a good day or two then sleep for a day. The hard part when I was working was teaching during the day. Standing or sitting was difficult and that is what I did all day. Going out to football practice actually let me move around and loosen my back up so the pain eased some. The other thing is I was so focused on the coaching and the interaction with the players that the pain got pushed to the background and didn't interfere too much. Loved the profession and it was very hard to give it up as I put so much into teaching and coaching. It just got to the point that I was missing part of several days each week and taking more sick days than I should have been taking. When I finally went to my doctor to ask for medication to deal with the pain [my BP was high so he wanted to get that down] that it took me over the edge. I hoped that 6 months of giving my back a chance to recover would get me back to working at least part time. Instead I got worse and had to add another medication for pain and my choice was to be in agony every minute of the day or spend a good part of the day knocked out and enjoy a few hours of reduced pain. Finally I have gotten to the point that I can have a good few hours here and there while limiting my sleep so I am not out of it so much of the time.

I hope you can hang in there long enough to qualify for full retirement as it isn't easy working while dealing with severe pain every day. I remember coming home and my whole focus was to do what I had to do so I could be ready for work the next day; that wasn't living. Keep enjoying the hours or minutes you can find in each day until your retire; then you can do what you have to each day as you deal with the pain.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Community Member

Welcome to retirement. Now you'll need to find something to do.

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rusty I envy you not your sleeping upright. Very disturbing to the old sleep pattern. Turning and waking enough to moan out in sleep is common according to my SO, do you do the same? What are you sleeping in, upright in bed, a lazyboy, zero gravity chair?

some of the toughest persons I know are little old ladies- they bear pain others would cry from, yet they always seem to have a kind smile for everyone.

Ya know Rusty I never thought about it really but it is so true. Gives me just one more reason to admire our elderly.

I often wonder with my pain if I even want to become elderly on top of my disabilities. Kinda don't have a choice LOL so might as well smile while taking the ride.

I always try to smile when passing people or when greeted, it's not fair to let my bad day affect them.

Do you have any hobbies?

Congratulations on your retirement, now celebrate that you have made it so far and keep smiling.