Thread: Anyone here take Bentyl or Triactin?

Distinguished Community Member Barque's Avatar

Question Anyone here take Bentyl or Triactin?

My doc just prescribed it for me for nausea. I have terrible spasms in and around my stomach and thought this might help.

How do you take it? With or without food? Any extreme negative side effects? I know it's just an ant-spasmodic for smooth muscle { internal organs } but am wondering what else I might have in store for me.

Distinguished Community Member

Barque,never heard of either drug. however my housemate has suffered from IBS for many years. he finally went gluten free & he claims it's helping him. have you ever tried changing your diet?

good luck-whatever you try!

Distinguished Community Member Barque's Avatar

Exclamation

I tried gluten free a couple years ago, it made no difference, actually I think it made me worse, sorry.

I took ONE of the Bentyl today before lunch, that's how you are supposed to, 30 min before a meal. It's now almost 7 P.M. and I just woke up. I couldn't even keep my eyes open or even sit up. Boy, these things really knock you out. Maybe I should take them before bed but my worst times are the middle of the day. What a dilemma.

Community Member

Barque, a few years ago both my daughter and myself had some troubles with IBS. Our Gastro had us try Bentyl and it really knocked us out as you said. So, he switched us to NuLev and it worked ever so much better; didn't knock us out at all. Anyway, it is a minty tablet that you place under tongue and disintegrates. Works great in just a couple of minutes! You might want to check it out and/or as your doc about it.
    C3/C4 ACDF - 2004, C5/C6 ACDF - 2006
    L5/S1 - Facet Degeneration
    Lumbar Facet Rhizotomy L4, L5, S1 (left side) 2007
    Retired - DOD/Defense Finance & Acctg/IT - 2005

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Barque have you ever tried probiotics to help take the edge off your symptoms? I have daily symptoms, horrible, but once I started taking a probiotic that is made especially for our irritable bowel syndrome my symptoms have abated quite a bit. I still have 'attacks' that are pretty agonizing but fortunately it is no longer a daily thing.

Also I don't know how you feel about MMJ but one of the benefits is an easing of IBS symptoms almost immediately. But of course like any medication it doesn't work for everyone.