Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: does this sound like Epilepsy to anyone???

Community Member

Question does this sound like Epilepsy to anyone???

I get this glassy eyed look and I stare straight at the ceiling nothing will deter me. My family has to call the EMS because I turn gray/blue & have trouble breathing. This gets a little gross here .SORRY. I throw-up,pee and poo on myself several times before I come out of it. I have NO memory of the whole episode. I have severe headaches during and after these episodes. I come to with severe nauseous I have a VERY sensitive nose. I have no appetite for at least a week sometime several. I have lost32 lbs in the last 18 months. I have no ins. but I'm going to try to get my GP to send me to a Neuro that takes charity.
    When I first come to I act more like a small child than a 41 yr old woman. Like I have to be told how to use toilet paper ect. I can hardly hear ppl talking to me,they sound so muffled. I can't talk either, it comes out as jibberish.

Well feelingfoggy, There are parts here that sound like a partial seizure, but I'm far from a Doctor! No matter what is going on here, I would be seen right away, ins or not.. Whatever you have going on don't wait, and don't be ashamed or scared of the outcome. I don't know if you believe in God or not but my God has the outcome for my life already planned out, and there is nothing I can do about this but to roll with the punches and live my life on his terms. Hope this helps you a bit. Regards Jeff
    Last edited by tigerchef1969; 04-08-2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Community Member

Thanks Tigerchef1969 I do belong to God the Great Physician. He can heal us at any time He so choses. I also have Lupus and Fibromyalgia. But, I will survive through His will. Praise God it is wonderful to meet another Christian on here.

Distinguished Community Member

Hi feelingfoggy,

Welcome to the forum! I agree with tigerchief you could be having simple partial seizures or possibly absence seizure also known as petit mal seizures. Sometimes certain sounds can trigger seizures for a person
    and they call it audio seizures. Keep track of when you have any possible seizures write the time you had one on a calendar, take note if a certain sound bothered you, or if there is a low pressure in the weather.
    This could possibly be causing seizures for you. Try taking vitamin B12 once a day that will help calm your nerves, cut back on the carbs and starch foods also. If you are on any perscriptions this could be the reason
    why you are getting sick and losing weight. I know when I was on Depakene I lost 75 lbs. in 4 months it was all do to the drug. I wish you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Community Member

Thank You both. I t is sooo frustrating not knowing what causes them or when they'er going to happen. I don't remember any of mine. My hubby and daughter tell me about them afterwards. (maybe absence seizures)Then my husband tells me that I have spells were I kick and thrash around at night. These I can remember parts of. Could these be another type of seizures. I also get were I can't remember what I'm trying to say,I lose words ect. It is just awful. I see my GP on the 18th of this month, I'm going to get a referral to a Neurologist as soon as he can get me in.
    Becca

Becca, one word of advice when you see your GP make sure to tell he or she everything, you have told us..... I am sure they will do a Mri or Cat first at the Neuro! but that is quite standard so don't be alarmed at that.. also it is very important that you remember your Gp may or may not understand or care to listen to your what I would call from your descriptions obviously some kind of seizure activity. This happened to me and I always make sure to tell people no matter what it is to get a second opinion! Once again though I am not a Doctor nor do I pretend to be one. here's wishing you well and you will be in my prayers... God Bless Jeff

Community Member

Thanks Jeff My GP is a great man, my family has been going to him for35 yrs. He ordered a MRI on me back in FEB, after the second "seizure" It was with no contrast/dye. I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but it showed nothing that he knew to look for. It was negative. I know he will agree to send me to some one who knows what they are looking for. The main problem is I have NO ins. I need a really big hospital with some kind of charity, to pay for all of these tests and possibly more than one doctor that I am going to need. Please keep praying.
    Becca

I am happy your Gp is a 'Great Man'! I also understand your insurance dilemma, my mother was diagnosed with stage 4 uterine cancer last year which meta sized to her bones and she did have insurance, but you know what? someone told her at the cancer center it would have been better to have no inscurance at all! In other words my mom and dads insurance is paying very little of the almost 50,000 dollars she was charged, God is good though mom is strong and fighting hard!

Distinguished Community Member

Hi Becca,

I'm glad you are going to see a neurologist if you need help do to insurance you can call the Epilepsy Foundation of America at 1-800-332-1000 or call your local epilesy support ground and they have
    programs that will help pay for medical bills and other insurances if you are interested in speaking to them.

You mentioned that you sometimes wake up during a seizure. If this is happening you might be having myoclonic seizures and this type of seizure happens when a person goes to bed or when they get up
    in the morning. I had them for awhile until I went on vimpat and that stopped the myoclonic seizures. Another big thing that can trigger seizures for women is hormonal change or when a woman starts to go
    through their change. This is all do to the hormones in your body changing the estrogen level gets high causing more excitment while the progesterone level gets low and progesterone helps calm the nerves.
    Keep track of your seizures and write down what time any seizure happened along with a discription of the seizure. Also write down when you start and stop your monthly cycle. If you see you are having
    more seizures 7-10 days before and after your monthly cycle you are having cateminal seizures which are caused by hormones changing.
    If anyone is around you when you have any seizures have them watch you and take note if you just have a daydream look on your face and you are staring if this is what's happening you are having absence seizures
    If you start to stare and then you smack your lips, wander around, or pick at your clothing you may be having complex partial seizures.
    If you want to start keeping track of your seizures you can also go on line and type in seizure tracker.com and this will give you a calendar that you can print out or send to your Dr. if you want to.
    Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Becca))))))

Based upon my experiences with my two sons' seizure disorders, it does sound like you could be having seizure activity. But there could be other medical explanations, which is why consulting a neurologist would benefit you in finding a diagnosis.

Are you taking any medications, herbal supplements, or vitamins/minerals? If so, you might want to check them out on our Drug Info link at the top of each Braintalk page:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginformation.html

Many drugs have seizures as a side effect. I always like to rule out medications as the first potential culprit for any malady. It's usually the last place that doctors look.

Drug interactions, or drugs interacting with herbal supplements/vitamins, are also worthy of consideration.

I completely agree with all of the outstanding suggestions you've been given here to chart everything about your episodes, including duration. If someone is with you when it starts, ask them to check the time when the episode begins and ends, then write that down, along with descriptive words for the episode (eg., "staring" - 3 minutes; "loss of bowel/bladder," "convulsing" or "jerking" "arms" "legs" - 4 minutes, etc.).

For your safety and protection, you should probably not drive, and you shouldn't shower or bathe, without someone close by. If you vomit during these episodes, you should be upright, not laying down, because you could aspirate the vomit into your lungs, which could cause aspiration pneumonia. If you can't be upright, then you should be lying on your side. Your hubby and daughter need to know these things, so that they can provide you with the proper care during an episode.

Here is a link to the Epilepsy Foundation, where you will find lots of valuable information:

http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/

If you are near a: university hospital, a county hospital, or a hospital affiliated with a religious denomination, you might be more likely to receive charity care, or assistance with your medical bills. You can also check your state's website for health care assistance programs.

In addition to an MRI and Cat Scan, I would suggest an EEG. I would expect a neuro would request one for you.

Your GP could order a complete blood work up for you to check your glucose and sodium levels, as well as your hormonal levels, and your thyroid (very important to have that checked) ~ just get the works. You might ask him for that at your next visit, so that you can have that information to provide to a neuro. And, that blood work might contain some clues to what is going on inside of you.

Sending up a healing prayer for you, Becca, that you receive proper medical care to help you achieve wellness.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast