Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New device

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Default New device

This appears to be pretty neat! Wonder how much they cost?
    http://www.wimp.com/newdevice/

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

WOW super for the young!! It looks like you better have a lot of upper body strength and agility though.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I found one Website estimating the cost at about $15,000 but that may not be accurate. I couldn't find a price on the TekRMD Website.

It does look like a great device. A person's legs would stay stronger, for one thing.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member renee's Avatar

Default cool

Yes, I just saw this promo and i think they were talking~ 15k.

I'd like to see it in use out of doors or at least in an urban situation
    with cruppy sidewalks, curbcuts etc.

Somebody is still thinking of better mobility devices..

Distinguished Community Member

Thanks Nuthatch! This is excellent. I'm going to start saving now- just in case.;)
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

I think this is great!! I would modify it to help with the lift from sitting to standing. I just showed it to my wife and told her I might build something in my shop. She said okay but it is NOT supposed to go 125 mph and it is not supposed to bale hay or lift a tractor to change a tire.

Default Great for spinal cord patients!

It does look like an improvement over a wheelchair for those spinal cord patients who live in an urban environment. There would need to be level sidewalks as you will notice in the promo he is riding on level floors. There are no pictures of him outdoors or in any type of transportation either.

I don't think MS patients would benefit from this type of assistance especially those of us who live in suburban or rural areas. It has very limited use which is mostly indoors. I can't even use my power chair outside the house. JMHO

Gabriella
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was wondering about the lift from sitting to standing too and watched the video a few times. It looks as if the man in the video is putting forth some effort to get himself into a standing position but he may not be doing much at all. When I looked at it more closely, the seating and back support look pretty sturdy.

They state a couple of times that the device is for indoor use. The man is shown in stores and you wonder how he got there. Maybe he drives a car using hand controls, gets into the car from his device, stashes it in the car, and then sets it up to get out of the car and into the store?

About power wheelchairs outside--I've seen many people using power wheelchairs, going up and down fairly steep hills in them and going over gravel paths in parks, for instance.

I'm not sure I'd feel safe in one for very long outside on rough or hilly terrain though because my vision and hearing aren't what they should be.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Yes, it kind of gives a whole new meaning to "I've fallen and I can't get up"
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Default Unstable

Even my scooter which is the larger size can tip over and doesn't do well in the yard. On one of the MS Walks a lady in a 3 wheel scooter tipped over going up a slight incline. I started with an ultra-light wheelchair 18# from Kuschall and even it was very hard to put into the back seat of my car with leverage and the weakness I had then.

If your power chair is paid for with Medicare funds it was never meant to be used outside the house only inside. Medicare expects us to become hermits after we progress into the need for a power chair. Of course one can buy the necessary equipment oneself to transport the power chair if you have the proper vehicle. I have a scooter and a Braun lift to use to put it into our SUV when I go on outside trips and my husband always goes with me.

I really don't see how one could put this into a vehicle with a spinal cord injury as he is basically paralized from the waist down and it appears to weigh too much for one person to lift. People with spinal cord injuries sometimes have good upper body strength and can manuever a ultra-light weight folding chair over the seat and into the back but this looks to be heavy.

Gabriella
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 04-07-2012 at 08:03 PM.
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast