Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting advice please

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Talking Painting advice please

Hey all. As many of you know I am painting my son's room. He has a bifold closet and the wall this closet is in is one of the dark blue walls. His door is also on a dark wall. To try to break up how dark it is I painted the bifold doors in the light blue trimmed out in white. I am now at the bedroom door and now I am thinking maybe I should paint the door the same dark blue as the wall and trim in white which means that if I do I will have to repaint the bifold doors a dark blue. Do you think that is too much dark blue if I paint them their wall colors?

Should I paint both set of doors the dark blue of the walls they are on or light blue to break up the darkness. The room is not very big and the other two walls are light blue.

100_2078.jpg 100_2079.jpg 100_2080.jpg

Distinguished Community Member Beader's Avatar

You rang? Ooo seriously, I'd do both sets of doors in the lighter blue w/ white trim. The dark blue is a very "active" shade & I think the lighter color is more calming and not as light-consuming. Too much of a dark color & winter days & nights may be very bleak in there. You may actually have problems getting enough lamps & artificial light to brighten it up so you can read comfortably. Plus using the paler shade should create some interesting visual shapes and geometrics to move the eye along the walls & around the room.

Just my suggestion. I really like to use a variety of hues of the same color so they blend. YMMV
    Sher
    My Life Menu: CFS probably since birth, full flavored since the 80s, with Fibromyalgia, Major Depression with a side order of Anxiety and Agoraphobia sauce, Restless Leg Syndrome with spicy Other Sleep Disorders, 11 Eye Surgeries, a generous helping of Gut Problems

Yes that is what I was thinking and had planned to build box shelves to put up and I plan to paint the outside of the boxes the white of the trim and the inside will be the the colors in the room. Kind of like the first picture but not so humongous. I am going to make his closet a big storage closet with one of those build it yourself white metal closet kits. May be too much math for me LOLOL. Thinking that because the room is so small that I would use a bit of a thinner wood than some of the box shelves I have seen.

Sleek-Wall-Mounted-Shelf-1.jpg box shelf.jpg blue box shelves.jpg

Also there is NO ceiling light. Not anywhere in the house except the kitchen and dining room which is pretty much the same room. Oh and the basement . That will have to be changed for sure.
    Last edited by houghchrst; 03-17-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Yuuummm. I really like that first set -- so dramatic! I think I may have had a set very close to the third but in a deep red. I got them on sale at Marshall's and the nail openings on the back edges were very difficult to hang straight, maybe they were drilled unevenly.

Are you going to make these yourself, o woman of carpentry world? Which HGTV carpenter do you have the hots for? Carter? I had a crush on the grey-haired guy w/ the leather apron who had a very slight Scottish accent, but now can't recall his name.
    Sher
    My Life Menu: CFS probably since birth, full flavored since the 80s, with Fibromyalgia, Major Depression with a side order of Anxiety and Agoraphobia sauce, Restless Leg Syndrome with spicy Other Sleep Disorders, 11 Eye Surgeries, a generous helping of Gut Problems

Distinguished Community Member

I'm with Sher,paint the door the light blue. as for lighting? might try some thrift stores for floor lamps. you could get neat shades in bright colors. white base would help brighten the room (or spray paint if not white already).

Another question for the painters in the house. The bifold closet door is not surrounded by moulding. Just the hanging equipment up top. Soooo should I really paint the walls and wooden hanger thingy the white of the moulding or the light blue of the bifold doors.

100_2109.jpg 100_2108.jpg The SO says the white because the door is right next to it on the adjoining wall and it's moulding will be painted white. So for continuity he says white, I am thinking the light blue to blend with the bifold doors.

I'm not exactly sure what the hanger thingy is or where it resides, but if it's basically hidden when the doors are in place, then I'm on your side. If it's only going to be a very narrow strip that visible above the doors, I'm still on your side. Otherwise, you could add moulding to trim it out and match the rest in the room and then I would go with SO's suggestion.
    Sher

Well that's just it. The track is the only part the really shows above the doors because they hang from it. It is at the top of the doorway and the doors hang on the track. That is what you are looking at in the first pic. If you look real close you can see it. It is painted a bit white from the Kilz. and the side walls of the doorway there is about 2" on each side that you can see when they are closed.

I can paint the side walls the color of the walls the closet is set in and just paint the top part the color of the doors to make it disappear.
    Last edited by houghchrst; 03-26-2012 at 12:52 PM.

I vote for disappear. If the light blue extends the area the doors are set in, I think that's fine & better than adding tiny bits of distracting or contrasting colors. The doors should just bleeeennndd, right?

Chris, how happy is everybody with the progress so far? It looks fantastic in the pix!
    Sher

Yeah Sher I am with you. I have decided to paint the two small side walls, that face in towards the door the same blue as the wall it is set in and the hanger will just blend in with the door.

All that is left to do is finish cutting in the ceiling and painting the two shelves in the closet. Hopefully this weekend. So far everyone loves the paint and the room is by no means dark thanks to the two bright windows. Cripes in the a.m. the sun shines in that window and if I get out of bed and open my bedroom door I am blinded for a bit.
    I am glad I decided to paint the walls opposite the windows the dark blue because the light comes in and brightens those up and making them satin helps the light shine off of them into a real glow.
    Last edited by houghchrst; 03-29-2012 at 06:33 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast