Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost my best friend, my dog who helped me adjust after surgery!!

Distinguished Community Member

Default Lost my best friend, my dog who helped me adjust after surgery!!

I had successful epilepsy surgery in 1998. The next year, 1999 the day after thanksgiving, I stopped for gas on my way back and found a dog all skin and bones who obviously didn't have a home as he was a major intersection and wold be surely killed! I decided to pick him up and give him to rescuers, but I later decided I could not leave that face behind me and so kept him. That was over 12 years ago and through all of my adjustment and growth after surgery. He was there and kept me company as I was very alone. He made me get out of the house and walk him. Made me be with people more than I would alone and did some many other things that enriched my life. Now in 2012 he became sick and after three Vets learned he h ad a urinary tract infection and bladder cancer. I took him to the Vet school here in NC and their biopsys caused his spleen to rupture. I had that surgery at 10 years old and know how serious that is. He had a splenectomy, but he never recovered, and I put him down last Thursday morning. He was my best friend and was such a comfort, I will miss him and only hope I did the right things for hm. He surely did come into my life at a pivotal time. I am doing well in this school I am in now, and I wonder if he felt I didn't need him anymore now that I am walking forward with an easier step. I will always remember what that sweet animal did for me at that time in my life when I needed a reason to be here. As I was leaving the Vet School after putting him down, the song on the radio was, "You've made me so very happy. I'm so glad you came into my life." Thought it was such a message!! I also have to wonder just who found who? His name was Hobo. Tattoo

Hi (((Tattoo))),

I'm so sorry to hear that you had to put your dog down. I had to do that a few yrs. ago with my dog and it was a very emotional time for me. Try to remember the good times you had with Hobo
    and if you want to get another dog or some other kind of pet to keep you company. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

[B]I'm so sorry for your loss. you did the right thing having him put down. he's gone to Doggie Heaven to join so many other wonderful dogs. cherish the memories. it will take time for the grief to settle. all of us with dogs understand exactly what you are going through.

you gave Hobo a home & love. he gave you companionship & total devotion. Hobo was glad you have improved! and must have known his part in that. (assuming a he).

you will miss Hobo more than you might imagine.

we have a Pet Therapy forum here on BT. might want to share your story there?

and when you are ready keep in mind there are many doggies needing homes & I'm sure would love to become your next best friend.

RIP Hobo.

Distinguished Community Member jingle's Avatar

Tattoo ----- I'm so sorry Hobo is gone.
    Here's a bit that I use for comfort about losing two of mine.

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own live within a fragile circle,
    easily and often breached.
    Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.
    We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding
    the necessary plan ......."

"the Once Again Prince" Irving Townsend

Thank you all so much! He was such a special spirit and I will always be grateful for all he gave me and will miss him as you all have mentioned. I appreciate your caring. Jingle the verse is beautiful. Thank you for sharing that. I gave his medicines and food to a foster group who helped me with a kitten I rescued last April. They will appreciate that verse. Thanks to all of you. Tattoo. Hobo's 2-legged mother

Tattoo,
    I am so sorry for your loss of your friend. 2 years ago, we had to put our beloved 21 almost 23 year old cat Percy to sleep. This is my cat who stayed curled up beside my head as I lay in my bed recovering from a craniotomy to remove a brain tumor. He was such a dear friend and free spirit. There towards the end, he had a seizure one evening as he slept on the back of the sofa. he fell off and landed on his back. when he finally stood up, he could not move one side of his body. One pupil was dilated. He faught for 3 more days. I took water and mashed food to him, because he couldn't walk to get it. I took him to his litter box every hour while awake. I put drops of water on my finger and rubbed it on his nose so he would instinctively lick it off.

When we took him to the vet, they were so wonderful. They were amazed at how beautiful he was at his advanced age. They could not believe the only times he had ever been to the vet was for vaccinations and neutering. once he passed, they left us to say our goodbyes, and helped us with placing him in our box to take him home for burial.

I was very sad, and lost for a bit after he passed. No friend greeting me when I came home from work. My heart will always have a special spot for my wonderful Friend, as I know yours will also. I picture my Percy frolicking thru the grass, chasing butterflies: in Heaven.

Take Care, Dodi

I have two Golden retrievers and the one which is the other's baby is Blonde and just an a amazing dog, could very easily become a therapy dog, and already is I guess with me and my mom who has cancer and the dog never leaves her side. Animals are a gift from God, just like any person or thing you love! I have had several dogs in my lifetime and all of them are buried in special places on our land! If you don't have the book all Dog's go to heaven, I would get it! its a very nice but somewhat of a kids book but still it's a good reminder of that special friend you had! God Bless Jeff!

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Aww Tattoo. I am so sorry. It is so hard when one loses a companion. I am sure that you will see each other again some day. (((HUGS)))

No Tatoo your special dog did not feel like you didn't need him anymore. He knew you still did from all the years of love you showed him. Both of you were so lucky to have had each other. I am glad you shared with us about this special bond between you and Hobo.

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

Tatoo, What a sweet and touching story. How nice of you to take in Bobo. I'm sorry for your loss hun.

Lorraine
    Lorraine (lor)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast