Thread: Scar tissue removal

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Default Scar tissue removal

Hey all. Has anyone here had any experience with having scar tissue removed or gotten injections to have them broken down.

I have a huge bulging scar in the middle of the arch of my off that hurts like the dickens. I had a plantar fasciiotomy done and the surgery left a huge painful scar that swells and hurts when I walk. The fascia is of course also healed up in that scar so walking constantly pulls on it. I also get a thick callous on it and found that picking the callous off exposes nerves entangled in the scar so I use a ped egg to keep it down so it is not rubbing on the ground.

I saw my ortho about it and his option was to operate on my foot and totally rebuild everything. It would take two separate surgeries at the same time. Yeah right. I was stupid enough to let that jackass operate on my foot the first time won't fall for it twice.

I did get online and found a med combination that I have heard works great but my ortho says he has never heard of it and wouldn't do it anyway. He basically blew me off.

Thanks all!

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Ah, the horrors of scar tissue after surgery. I was offered surgery to have the scar tissue removed but after going through really bad cramps behind my knee from the scar tissue breaking as I grew I thought the original surgeries were enough (I had tendon stretching on my legs for my Cerebral Palsy 2 times). Besides they told me going through my puberty growth spurt pretty much broke all of it anyway so there was no point.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 03-15-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Christina, I haven't any experience with the meds to break up the scar tissue. Most of our can be worked around but when it is in your foot there is much getting around when you take a step. I am glad to hear you won't let the original dr do another surgery for the scar tissue. I have heard to them using a medicine when doing the surgery to reduce scar tissue build up so maybe the medication you are looking at is an offshoot.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

I found a two docs online through Google discussing it on some forum I found. They use what is a mixture of Hyaluronicase and Triamcinolone Acetone w/an Anesthetic Base. It is done in a series of injections with some kind of nerve block given in the ankle to kill the pain of the injection.

I have also seen that Botox (?), saline and steroids have been tried but they do not work as well as the above. Any idea where one could start to look. I can't see just going through the phone book and cold calling lol though I have done it many times. Do I check with a Podiatric surgeon, a skin doctor, injury medicine doc? My doc that looked at it was my ortho so no help there.

Thanks guys.

Community Member

Default scar tissue removal

I had some serious scar tissue in my lower back from multiple surgeries. A membrane was inserted and releived 90% of my pain. I can research and find out exactly what it was if needed.

Shinty that would be awesome. Oh and welcome! As of right now I have been pretty much bed bound since this has gotten so much worse. I did force myself out to work in the yard but paid for it all day yesterday.

A membrane? I haven't heard of such a thing. I will also google to see if I can get a feel for what you are talking about. I would love any information you can give me.

What kind of doctor did you see for it? Was it the doc that did the surgery?

I had a lot of scar tissue following my 360 lumbar fusion and found that deep massage seemed to break up some of it and give me more flexibility. I hope you find something that works for you. I also know what getting out working in the yard can do for me the next day so I feel for you.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

I finally got to the doc about my foot and I guess it isn't just the scar tissue I thought it was. I have a plantar fibroma. Lovely. Will be having it surgically removed which actually I am happy about it because the alternative would have been injections and physical therapy and what ever else some doc could think up. I just may be able to walk decently again. Hunh, that would be nice.