Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: What's Growin'

Distinguished Community Member

Lor,it should have stayed in the closet! now having said that,might I make a suggestion? I'd toss it & buy a new one when they are on the market. they are picky plants when grown outside their natural environment. it's the leaves that actually turn color-not some type of bloom. since they are messy & fussy I went to a good quality silk plant several years ago.

well the garden here is down to a planter of green tomato's & a zuchinni (sp) I don't want. my dog has been dragging corn stalks all over the yard from the refuse pile. she's trying her best to get under the wire around tomato's but so far I've outsmarted her.

I'm anxious to get mums,purple kale & new pansies to replace the veggies. and keep trimming the hanging baskets-yes,I am bored!

I agree plants are confused this year. don't recall ever having the wisteria blooming this time of year (2nd bloom). birds seem to also be confused. swallows have had another batch of babies-ugh.

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar
    Blog Entries

By golly Jeannie that's awesome. I am totally jealous. We are going to spend this fall getting everything ready so that hopefully gardening will be easier for me. Garden tables, raised beds and a few other things. Now that it is cooling here I have a fall crop of carrots, onions, radishes, cabbages doing pretty good. I have talked to quite a few people who said their crops were horrible this year due to the lousy weather. Farmer's Market stall owners not real happy.

Pati I am with you on the poinsettia thing. I thought about trying to save it but then I read online how to do it and threw it in the compost bin lol. Too much work and for me to try to remember. We did finally get our white egrets back but only within that last month. Only seen the turkeys once or twice this year. I imagine as it cools we will see them again.

Lor there are just far too many steps for me but it might be fun to see how it would turn out. You can find instructions online for how to do it.

glad you brought this thread back up (I can never recall where it is). I'm down to one hanging basket,it's still pretty with begonia's & impatients.

have a huge tank filled with mums,ornamental kale,cabbage & purple grasses. deer pulled out some of the cabbage-so got a white picket fence to keep them out.

don't need to water everyday now. alot of fog here. love our autumn weather as the 70's are perfect.cannot think when we last had rain!

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

bump for sly :)
    WE ARE BT!
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

[B]good idea Jeannie! now of course I cannot think when we have had a day without rain! and guess what? two of the mums are blooming after being cut back. crazy weather.

Blog Entries

well trying a different method for seed starting this year. THe ones that needs to be started inside are going into cut down Hawaiian Punch, juice, applesauce plastic containers with the top narrow part cut off. THinking of burying some of those tops to water roots.

I figure this way I will have less to move around can keep track of what is what easier and they will be easier to replant.

Going to be using a lot of pallet wood to build with this year. I have seen some lovely furniture and other things made from repurposed pallets. Hopefully tomorrow I will have the energy lol.

can you use card tables?
    "Here's an unpopular opinion: I'm actually not at all concerned about innocent men losing their jobs over false sexual assault/harassment allegations. Sorry. If some innocent men's reputations have to take a hit in the process of undoing the patriarchy, that is a price I am absolutely willing to pay." Teen Vogue writer Emily Lindin

Blog Entries

you sure can clouds. Depending on what they're made of you may want to cover them with something like a cheap plastic table cloth from the dollar store or a small tarp. I use camping tables to put my smaller pots on. The stuff that needs a bit of deeper dirt to grow and gets tall I put in 5 gallon buckets. Less bending over. Even a couple of concrete blocks will give a five gallon bucket some height.

i just saw some beautiful cabbages growing in nothing but the bag of dirt. They cut two slits in the bag of dirt and planted. This would be great for tabletop growing also. No pots to mess with.

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

That poinsetta ened up with just a few leaves so I threw in away. I was large & beautiful at 1st. My friend gave it to me when I was in the hosp. I read instructions on keeping it so I thought...why not try? For the last 7 or 8 years I have had a beautiful plant. A Madigascar Palm. I can keep track of the years cuz in winter it slows down growing (& leaves drop) and leaves a dark stripe. Just count the stipes. I gets very lovely in the summer with full flowing leaves. It realy isn't a palm but looks like it when in full bloom (I was thinking of it but never did, send a photo to FB). We have a mexican restaurant nearby that puts a couple fake palms in the front. I keep thinking, they outa' get one. It was just a foot at first then in year 2 it sprouted another next to it. So now it looks like a 3.5 foot tree next to a 5.5 foot tree. The trunk is like a cactus with spines (I knocked into it once but caught it...ouch, my figers started bleeding). Accually, it is a suculant.
    Lorraine (lor)

Blog Entries

This weather really sucks, I already have seedling started since this is the time on the planting calendar to start them. My Snap Peas are already 5 and 6 inches tall!! and they haven't been in the dirt but maybe a week. We still have snow on the ground, fortunately it is melting and will continue to do so but the nights aren't even close to being frost free lol.

I may wind up with a garden in my living room.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast