Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Growin'

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hey everyone !

i'm having the stump of my fallen pine tree ground down soon. i had a coupon to english garden's (a local nursery), for $10 buys you $20. i wanted a shrub that would be a little taller and wider and would be more of a screen in that corner of the yard. i found this shruuby tree called a "purple leaf sand cherry". it has reddish-purple stems and leaves that turn bronzy-green in the fall. in may, it get's little fragrant pinkish-white flowers. it is very oriental looking. it grows up to 8 feet tall and 6 feet wide, so i think it's going to make a nice little screen.

i've downloaded a pic of it for you to see:

Purple Leaf Sand cherry.jpg
    jeannie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tic chick; 04-03-2012 at 12:58 PM.
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Jeannie your shrub is lovely. I can't wait to see how it grows for ya. You will post blooming pictures won't you? Or has it already flowered in this funky weather?

Sher thanks for the pictures. I Googled it when you mentioned it and they have palm trees that can grow here but I am thinking that it might look a bit funny cause it doesn't blend in with my flora and fauna lol. Oh and that mint is what I think my mom's old neighbor had growing. Their house was on a hill, oddly enough considering they live in the city, and their front yard was double terraced with chunks of concrete and it looked like they had that overflowing both levels.

I hope that all you gardeners out there in the cold have been keeping your blooms covered in the evening. The snowcone sleet we got the other day killed my hyacinth blooms. Good thing I had the babies in for the night and had my spring bloomers covered with upside down pots.

All of my seedlings are ready to be thinned and potted so I will be doing that tomorrow. Also will be starting snap peas and few others. Also am hoping to get some seed potatoes at the store. I have tried just regular store bought potatoes but they are treated and usually turns out a batch of stunted taters.

Pati today is the first day that I have noticed dandelions. CJ will be furious lolol. He is already mad that our tree out front has begun overhanging the driveway so now the entire driver side of the car gets covered in bird poo. I love when he fights the dandelions. I get great glee out of seeing those beautiful yellow blossoms across his freshly mowed lawn the next morning. I will be looking up the Thrift.

Well I must say that I am a might upset here. I went out to get updated pics of everything and my camera started acting funny. I thought maybe the batteries were dying but then just as I got the last pics the camera turned black though it still had it's function readings on it wouldn't let me shut it off.

Distinguished Community Member

forgot to mention the Livingston daisies are also blooming in the yard. and boy oh boy do we have moss this year!

chris,

sorry to hear about your camera.

the shrub i bought already has some opened flowers on it and little delicate white buds that haven't opened yet. unless i can get my son to dig a hole for me, i'm going to have to wait 2 more weeks before i can dig it myself. the shrub looks so pretty now...like an oriental painting...it's so delicate looking. the plant i bought is about 3 feet high already and has about 10-20 straight branches growing up from the base. i was reading some more about it and i was disappointed to find out that it usually doesn't have a long life-span...like only 10 yrs. i wonder why? well, i'll just have to try and prove them wrong...lol.

jeannie

hey everyone !

i hope this cool spell hasn't got everyone bundled up and staying warm in the house !

well chirstine, i planted the sweet pea's for sweet pea yesterday. i bought these containers that look heavy but are very light at the end of the growing season last year. i have 2 huge urns on my porch on the side of the doorway. they are a mustard yellow and i haven't decided what to plant in them yet. they were marked down to $10 a piece from $23 a piece. i planted the sweet pea's in 3 of the light planter's also, they are smaller than the one's on the porch, more of a large houseplant type size. they were marked down from $15 to $4 a piece.

i went out side and fertilized the bushes today, my rhododendron's, the peony and the hydrangea's. the fern's my friend gave me are getting shoots already. they are underneath the yews, as my gf told me they liked the shade. my rosebush has grown by another 1/3 and i am going to let it grow how it wants to...i might trim a few low, small branches that are almost on the ground.

so, i have a few pics of the bushes:

miss big hydrangea.jpg little miss hydrangea 1.jpg mrs. peony.jpg little miss hydrangea 2.jpg

the 1st pic is the big hydrangea, the 2nd and 4th pic's are the little hydrangea's and the 3rd pic is the peony is the peony. (you can click on each pic to see it larger, then use the back arrow in the upper left corner of the window to get back to the post. ) my lavendar plants are in the pot's behind the 2nd pic of the little hydrangea. they don't have a permanent home yet so they have to be renter's for awhile. that's my sand cherry shrub behind the peony in the 3rd pic. since she's still in her planter from the store, i'm moving her around to catch the sun daily and at night i put her by the house.

hope everyone is looking forward to summer flower's!

thank you for sharing ,
    jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 04-22-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Well thank you there Jeannie for the sweetpeas. I finally made it out around the pond and they are already growing madly a ways down from me.

Sher I hope you are doing a bit better with all your money issues.

I have a few different yard projects going on along with indoor issues and crafting I guess I have my hands full.

As for my garden it has been on hold thanks to the weather but everything is growing well, I did lose a couple of babies due to suffocation I believe. I noticed that the ones I lost were covered with the half of plastic bottle that I simply put a slit in with a razor knife instead of making a hole. Lost 4 babies. But still have my spinach, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower. This coming weekend I will be planting most everything else. I think our freezing nights are done.

2010-04-02 001.jpg Broccoli

2010-04-02 002.jpg Cauliflower

2010-04-02 003.jpg Cabbage

For my birthday my oldest brother brought me a Foxglove, which I love and a tiny bush that will be good sized and beautifully colorful all seasons when it gets bigger. Can't think of what it is right off.

2010-04-01 001.jpg Foxglove

2010-04-02 004.jpg

I will have to come back when I remember what it is lol. Plus this is all I am allowed for post pics so time to move on.

[B]I have some sweetpea's coming up. plus the geraniums the deer ate are getting new buds. housemate brought home some plastic green space men (part of a Kiwanis project) & I snitched 5 of them to go around my round planter......hopefully to deter the deer! thinking deer are color blind? so the bright green won't matter but strange plastic people hopefully will! do they look weird? of course they do!

my wisteria is loaded with blooms ready to come out if it would warm up!

lithodora is blooming in 2 whiskey barrells near my trailer.

it's too cold & WET here to get anything done in the yard.

cat thinks the garden tank is her new litter box.

thanks for sharing the pic's!

Distinguished Community Member Beader's Avatar

Imagine my surprise! There are fragrant yellow roses on the side arbor bush, and I cut a few last night to bring inside and admire. One bud is tinged w/ salmon at the edges. Today there are red roses blooming on the arbor in front of the front door walkway. This is sooo early.

Good grief, I wrote this weeks a go & it suddenly popped as "auto-saved"! For my sister deer-fighters, let me tell you that deer do NOT like stinky herbs, so plant plenty of mint, which will soon engulf your entire garden anyway. Don't think those upright swirly mint plants are "kinda cute" -- they have ferocious root systems from another planet! They're like the wisteria that can't get itself started, but once it does, you suddenly have a roof garden in your gutters that grows 3 feet per day.
    Sher
    My Life Menu: CFS probably since birth, full flavored since the 80s, with Fibromyalgia, Major Depression with a side order of Anxiety and Agoraphobia sauce, Restless Leg Syndrome with spicy Other Sleep Disorders, 11 Eye Surgeries, a generous helping of Gut Problems

Ny plants are slowly coming up. The tulips bloomed. I think this year I might rip one of the gardens out and plant only herbs. They should be easy.

Just lost one or two plants so far but I haven't uncovered all of my plants yet. We had some frost warnings last week.
    Take care,
    Dawn

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast