Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Growin'

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Okay more pics of what is going on.

100_2082.jpg See my bitty sprouts.

100_2084.jpg My spinach peeking

100_2086.jpg These are 3 of the 5-6 5 gallon buckets that are going to grow behind my trellis so they can vine when it is time. Nothing planted yet but they have been filled and prepared.

For dirt I bought Scott's plain soil and to mix with it I bought manure and vermiculite. So I am mixing it all in a big tub and then using that to fill pots. I will also be watering once in a while with the Miracle Gro hose attachment that is prefilled. Have a couple of those left over from last season.

Here are some flowers that I planted last fall.

100_2085.jpg Tulips and narcissus. I have seen others all bloomed so am wondering if I should have uncovered them sooner. Dang weather. better late than never lol.

100_2088.jpg Hyacinth and a couple of lilies.

Okay hit my limit again so I am off.

Distinguished Community Member Beader's Avatar

Hey Chris,

Everything looks just fab-yoo-lus! You sure are working hard at this, so congrats on all the progress.

Of course, I'd like to add my 2 cents on garden clean up. NEVER cut down your dry wintered ornamental grasses in short sleeves no matter how hot it is outside! I mean NEVER! I'm now sporting slash marks covering my lower arms & some on the uppers. As always, they itch, they burn, they look like I was attacked by crazed ferrets. There's a reason that suff is called "saw" grass & "switch" grass, and I have raised wide welts to prove it. But once I get my CFS butt out there, I'm reluctant to head back inside for any reason, no matter how sane & rational. Kind of a different take on NO PAIN, NO GAIN.
    Sher
    My Life Menu: CFS probably since birth, full flavored since the 80s, with Fibromyalgia, Major Depression with a side order of Anxiety and Agoraphobia sauce, Restless Leg Syndrome with spicy Other Sleep Disorders, 11 Eye Surgeries, a generous helping of Gut Problems

Distinguished Community Member Jo6's Avatar

Default Beautiful

Girls, this is where we seperate the young & beautiful from the OLD and fraile and , "well maybe a little lazy"!

Love the pictures, gives me all kinds of idea's, then I dream I have loved my flowers enough and you all could see the beauty I see.

Alas, my azalea's are blooming. Light pink, med. pink and a rose. oh yes, forgot the white that's in the back of the rest. The red tips have about choked them to death.

My irises are almost waist high, still has the periwinkle all around it. gotta get some help and get that stuff up!! It's pretty as a ground cover, but I didn't tell them they could grow up my irises!!

Can't even open door, all those little green particles flying everywhere and everybody's car has a coat of green on them. I've got to dust everything, I can hardly breath in house.

I'm so depressed I could cry. I have a Holly TREE! The grandkids and I planted this bush a # of years ago and it is taller than the house!! I have NEVER seen a Holly Tree!! the kids were all in their 8 to 12 ages, Lauren Julia was still in the oven and she cried one day cause she didn't get to help plant the Holly tree. lol She will be 16 in June. that's how old this tree is.

I planted 2 Japananese holly bushes, not supposed to get over 2 ft. tall. I'm going to have to get Ken to move them out of my flower boxes!! They are at least 4 ft. tall. they are pretty, but not in right place now.

When I figure out this picture business I'll send y'all some pictures of the "corn" my 2 Jennifer's planted in my flower boxes on the side of my front steps! A sight to behold lol

Love you gals, Jo

girls, a new thread from LOR, What Happened. She posted today!
    Last edited by Jo6; 03-21-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
    'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

I decided to change my search tactics when Googling for disabled gardening and looking for garden tables and now I am finding all kinds of good info.

Here is a site for those looking to purchase premade wheelchair accessible garden tables.

http://www.waisthighgardens.com/

Is cheaper to build your own but chances are if you can make your own you prolly can garden too lol. I will be helping my SO build ours.

Distinguished Community Member

My plants are starting to come up. I hope I don't get a freeze. I like your idea of the planters being up. I don't have luck with planting. We have too many trees. Where ever there is sun light coming thur I have something planted.
    Take care,
    Dawn

Dawn there are many beautiful shade plants that you can plant under those trees. Here is a link for ya.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...re/dg1428.html

Well, I'm trying to do taxes & other stupid financial crap that I hate & fear w/ a passion while the garden & outdoors beckon with their siren call. I'm lathering myself up into a real panic state that I keep trying to push down, rather unsuccessfully. Meanwhile, these huge bees are attacking near my window perch & driving me berserk, like their buzzing is hitting the pit of my stomach & upping my anxiety quotient. Then I suddenly remembered something from last Fall. My cousin's dad runs an exterminator company, & the kid recognized that these godzilla bees were building nests inside my roof overhang soffit. "Can't you hear them inside the screening?" Please, noooo! That's one more expense that I can't afford.

OK, I posted this in the Garden section because while the rest of you are out enjoying your green creations, I'm inside gnawing my cheeks & chapped lips. Plus once they edit the smiley section, I may never have the chance to use again. Ever
    Sher
    My Life Menu: CFS probably since birth, full flavored since the 80s, with Fibromyalgia, Major Depression with a side order of Anxiety and Agoraphobia sauce, Restless Leg Syndrome with spicy Other Sleep Disorders, 11 Eye Surgeries, a generous helping of Gut Problems

Chris, I got some ice palms for ya. And the right and left views of my front garden, almost cleaned up. Plus a pretty low-growing mint. Hey, if anybody is looking for hardy or needing to keep an embankment from sliding away, you can't go wrong with invasive spearmint. If you like the taste. Personally, I prefer the peppermint.

PICT0967.jpgIcePalm1.jpgPICT0970.jpgPICT0969.jpgPICT0982.jpg
    Sher

My pale lavender clematis aka Mailbox Plant has huge blooms on it while it's happy inside the screened-in porch wrapped in plastic. My own little hothouse. It's even had two major blooms! But now I'm afraid to take it outside due to the iffy changeable weather. Drat!

I gave in at Home Depot & bought multi-colored snapdragons as well as a new plant that looks like chives w/ a similar but larger flower top. Let me see... it's Thrift & apparently not in the onion family, which would deter the herds of ravenous deer. "Thrift" sounds like "Stock", one of those plants where you're not sure if they're talking about an actual plant or if you misread it.
    Sher

Distinguished Community Member

I planted alot of Thrift when I lived on the sunny side of WA state. it gets a dark pink bloom as I recall.

I feel like I live on another planet from all you! there's no way I can even consider planting anything for awhile.April is beginning to look just as wet as March was.

dandelions are blooming however! and I got some more wasp killer so I can attack those beasties before they get me again.

happy planting to those lucky enough to actually have spring weather!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast