Thread: Hi friends, it's been awhile...

Red face Hi friends, it's been awhile...

I thought I'd stop by and say hello and give you an update on what's been going on. It's hard to believe that it's nearly the end of February already, time just flies by! My husband is doing wonderfully, his meds have stabilized, and he is now back to the person he was before the fire, expect, of course, that he had to endure last year, including two months in a burn unit, then Rehab, and then the entire summer in Psych hospitals. It was an awful ordeal for all of us, but especially for him. :ambivalence:

The holidays were busy, but fun, as we had a houseful on both Thanksgiving and Christmas...January was a bit tough, especially as the anniversary of our fire, and then our daughter's birthday a week later, approached. Towards the end of January, my husband and I flew to Southern Indiana to visit his Mom and brother. We hadn't seen them in years and it was great to just catch up with each other. I am also excited to tell you that we are all going on a wonderful family vacation on March 25th. We are going on an eight day cruise aboard the Norwegian Gem. We're leaving from a pier in Manhattan, and going to stop in ports near Orlando, Florida (we will be going to Epcot at Disney) and then stops at Stirrup Cay, then Nassau, the Bahamas. One month to go, can't wait!

Sorry I haven't been around lately, but I am glad to see the participation has picked up some!

Hugs to all, Jacquie
    My avatar is of my daughter, Andrea, who we lost in a fire on 1/18/11

** Hx of an L4/L5 fusion w/ hardware in April 2002 and taking daily pain meds;
    ** proud Grandma of three grandchildren, Angelo, 11/11/05, and Julianna, 1/3/08, and Penny, 6/20/13

Dear Jacquie....it was wonderful to log on to see a post from you. Thanks for the update. Saying last yr was an ordeal is an understatement....you certainly always maintain your positive demeanor. So glad your husband is back to his old self, that is remarkable news. I am glad you were all able to travel and visit family and you are all going on trip together. How have you been? How is your pain and how are you doing with your meds?
    Take care, Diandra

P.S. You are all in my thoughts and prayers as you deal with the one yr anniversary of losing Andrea. I can't begin to know. God Bless you all.

Distinguished Community Member

Jacquie, what a treat when I logged on tonight. It is great news to hear your husband is back to his old self. You have been amazing dealing with the fire, the loss of your daughter and then dealing with your husband's physical and emotional problems after the fire. I can only imagine how Jan. opened up the wounds again for a short time. I hope this year finds you and your family enjoying the trips you have planned. When you came to visit his family you weren't very far away from our house. Thanks for writing and catching us up on how everyone is doing.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Community Member

Hi dear Jacquie ~ SO good to hear from you! And it's wonderful to hear that your hubby is doing so well. Gosh, he's been thru so much, as you have too. It was all so traumatic, and my heart still hurts for you. I'm just glad that you two are doing well.

It's great that you're going on a cruise! That's just what you need to regenerate and refresh! It will do you both a world of good! I'm so glad you're going, and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time! :o Let us know when you get back, and tell us all about it, ok?

Thanks for stopping in -- I've thought about you often, and wondered how you were doing. Please take good care of yourselves, and God bless! Hugs, Lee
    Recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;
    severe DDD; sciatica; osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, 2 spinal surgeries, SCS implant & removal, morphine pump trial-didn't work, umpteen injections/epidurals/trigger points,rhizotomy, Racz procedure, etc., therapy, 4 more herniations, now inoperable; lumpectomy, radiation therapy~breast cancer survivor,fibromyalgia;depression; heart attack. On disability.

Hi Jacquie,
    I'm glad to hear that you and your husband are doing better. I know you've been through a horrific tragedy; you have my prayers!

I'm glad you have other relatives to spend the holidays with. It really helps to have a good support system.

I'm thrilled for you that you get to go on a cruise! I really miss the days when I could take vacations. My pain levels are very high at present, so vacations are out of the question for me. But I'm happy for you! You deserve a break after all the trauma you've been through.

Best Wishes,
    Eva

Thank you all for your warm 'welcome backs'. Since you all asked, I am doing remarkably well, actually. I really don't have severe pain most of the time, as long as I take it easy :o. Too much physical activity of any kind is never a good thing, so I have to do things in small bursts. My lower back lets me know in no uncertain terms when it has had enough activity by going into spasms, and that's when I know it's time to take a break from whatever I'm doing. I'm able to get along just fine with usually two Percocets (325/10) a day, along with a low dose of Zanaflex ( 2 or 4 mgs). Hubby and I are both retired and on disability, so we have the time to do basically whatever we want (within reason, of course!). We do tend to be a bit lazy, sometimes, and we can always stand to exercise more.

Mark, we had to fly into Louisville, which is the closest big city with an airport, as my husband is from Madison, Indiana, on the Ohio River. Funny, they live very close to the Ohio River, and our town of Florence, N.J. is very close to the Delaware River. In fact, the sign that welcomes everybody to Florence calls itself, "The community with character at the bend in the river". We love it here.

I'll try to stop by more often to say hello, and participate when I can!!

:angel:

** proud Grandma of three grandchildren, Angelo, 11/11/05, and Julianna, 1/3/08, and Penny, 6/20/13

Jacquie, glad to hear you are doing well and able to do things in short burst until your spine lets you know. I know about Madison and we live on the Ohio River too about 1.5 hours West of Madison. It is good to hear you will try and check in more often to let us keep up with what is going on. I am able to do a few things too until my spine complains more than usual. Right now my thoracic spine is really causing me pain but I don't let it get me down and if I take it easy I can keep the pain from getting too bad but the muscle spams are a different story.

Keep doing what you can when you are able. Don't forget about us here as we keep you in our prayers.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Hi smiling angel i hope you dont mind me asking waht pain meds you take for your fibro. Im so sorry for what you have been through. Blessings.

Hi shelley2 - Hi, and thanks for stopping by. I really should go back onto my sig line and change it, because I haven't really been Dxed w/ fibro, I just thought I had been. Let me explain: I had a Psych appt for my disability application (I was approved!) but at the appt, the doc was looking at my records and said, "You have fibro?" That took me by surprise - so I asked my PM doc at my next appt if he had filled out the papers for disability and put down that I had fibro. He looked back at the forms and said that fibro wasn't in the records he sent. I guess it's possible that my TP put it in my records, but I've never asked her. I'm thinking that the doc was either 1) confusing my records wit someone else's, or, 2) reading fibro into what he was reading. I am not taking any meds specifically for fibro, either, tho I do take Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Percocet and Zanaflex, none of which are specifically for fibro. Weird, huh?

Mark, what town do you live in, and did you make it thru all of those tornados okay? As you probably know, Kentucky was really hit hard, right across the river from Madison. My mother-in-law found pieces of siding, insulation, etc, in her yard, and nother really close by her was hit directly, so it must have come from across the river. Otherwise, they made out okay, but it really had them shook up. They lost their landline, but they luckily do have cell phones. Take it easy!

Good to see you, again, Jacquie, I am delighted to hear things are going well and that your isbund has recovered so well. Same ol - same ol aroun here. My S/O Quit smoking, for which I am very proud of her. Take care.
    Blessings
    Alex44
    Skypilot