Thread: Metal rods and Peripheral Neuroapathy and...

Distinguished Community Member

Question Metal rods and Peripheral Neuroapathy and...

Folks, I am at my wits end. My S/O was hit by a car in '92 and had metal rods put in both legs. She has been on P/M since 1992, she came down from a high dose and is now two low but the doc has said she will raise her next visit. How can I help her? She also has an overactive bladder, which drives her crazy but since she had an epidural that froze her bladder many years ago, she obviosly does not want any bladder control drugs, she had to wear an indwelling Foley Catheter for 6mo's.
    I help with the pain thru hands on healing, I am certified but only do faith healing in my church - I am not a doc and in no way claim to be but it does help her. I am already seeeing both a counselor and a shrink, I just don't know where to go from here - I was researching Neuroapthy and wonder if she could have nerve entrapment from the rods, which in my opinion, should have been removed after a year, I have the backing of several doctors on this but after 20 years, I believe it would be impossible. Any suggestions would help, seeing her suffer so is very hard, and that is on top of I am on SSi too for C/P among other things - we have twenty years between us and I love this women and will do anything I can. any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thank Ya'll
    Alex44

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Alex I have nothing to offer but (((hugs))) and prayers.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Neurolog...nagement/21939

I try not to spread this info here at BT because there are so many against it but when we are at our wit's end it is nice to know there is another option to try.

Alex, what a bind to be in and I wish I could help out but I am not sure what would help. One thing you do have to make sure is that you aren't letting her pain cause your pain to increase as it hurts both of you. When your partner refuses medication the only thing I know to do is to offer as much loving support as you can and give her enough space to handle some of the problem on her own. This crops up with me when my wife's lumbar acts up like it did this week. I wish there were more words I could give you but I really can't think of any other ways to help. Hang in there and just don't feel like you have to do everything for her as she doesn't want you to and you wouldn't be able to do everything anyway.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Community Member

Alex, I agree with Mark. And I can't address the rods because I just don't have the experience with that. I did want to say though that I was going through my own medicine cabinet last night and was cleaning things up. I came across Prosed DS and Flavoxate that I took when I had bladder issues. They really helped!! Now, I forget the name of the doc that treated me for this but between he and my pain doc, we got it taken care of (yes, from nerve damage)...along with pelvic floor PT. Anyway, I know you said she won't take any meds for her bladder. But believe me, they helped considerably because there were times I thought I would hit the roof. Okay, just thought I would throw it out there in case you wanted to check it out.

Thank All of you for yor kind replies. Hope this finds everyone well.
    Blessings
    Alex44

Cool

Thank you all - Accupuncture has helped in the past, she got lucky and got into a free study. Here we have found a Place that is a teaching facility, We will have to cut back on some things ( don't know what yet - already cut bout everything) but we will find a way as we are very blessed and the rates are reasonable - anything to help her - MMJ may be a possibility - both of our disorders are on the list, but it is fantastically expensive, I am not big on the idea and I am hopeful the accupuncture will help ( A lot cheaper too) - Although at this point, anything legal, I am willing to try for her. Legal = State law.
    Thank ya'll for the replys
    Blessings
    Alex44
    Skypilot
    Last edited by alex44; 02-20-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Hi Alex, so sorry to hear C. is going thru a rough time of it. I hope her doctor's appt is soon and she gets an increase that helps her. I myself have never tried any other methods listed, but my d-i-l said she had accupuncture and that it helped with her pain.

Give her my regards and keep us posted here on the forum!

SA
    My avatar is of my daughter, Andrea, who we lost in a fire on 1/18/11

** Hx of an L4/L5 fusion w/ hardware in April 2002 and taking daily pain meds;
    ** proud Grandma of three grandchildren, Angelo, 11/11/05, and Julianna, 1/3/08, and Penny, 6/20/13