Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you sleep?

Distinguished Community Member

Burr, no sleep study as I have several issues that I am not sure would help out going through a sleep study. No doubt they would find sleep apnea but that doesn't stop me from sleeping. Once I get to sleep I stay asleep until I am ready to wake up. The only problem I have is getting to sleep and that is more from my monopolar [also called unipolar] disease keeps my body and mind too energized for sleep. Everyone of my meds are sedating so it is a wonder I don't sleep more and it is too much the way it is. I just wish I could spread the sleep out as it would make me feel better.

Another issue for me is I need to sleep in a zero gravity chair so how could I find a sleep study center with one of those. I would imagine all of us with spinal problems that cause pain would have problems getting comfortable enough to sleep in a center but I do know they will try to make us as comfortable as possible. t

Thanks to all the good responses about sleep centers and the examples of each of your experiences to get past sleep issues that come with chronic pain.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Community Member

They often give a sleeping medication to help folks be able to complete a sleep study (and it doesn't interfere with the results). If you suspect sleep apnea, definitely get it checked out. Although you may not "wake up", if you are truly having apneas, your body is getting very disturbed sleep without you realizing it. A home sleep study may be a good option...they check for very few things (mainly apnea), but you take home basic monitoring equipment. A lot less to deal with as far as stuff on your body, and you could sleep in your chair. It wasn't a good option for me since I was looking for everything else but apnea lol.

Update on me: Thankfully (not thankfully?) the sleep study didn't show anything. In 4 or 5 hours of sleep I had a total of 5 apanas (including 1 central), a handful of limb movements (I was aware I kick and twitch, and thought it would have showed more), and mild to moderate snoring (surprising since hubby doesn't report anything enough to wake him up unless I'l sick). They would have needed 5 apneas an hour to qualify for sleep apnea. I was scared about respiratory related arousals, and there weren't any. So, that leaves us at a lose. We're considering narcolepsy but it would be the type that leaves me very tired first thing in the morning (don't actually nod off except driving). I've been on Ritalin the last few weeks, only 1 dose on weekdays, and that really helps. I just need to get re-tested if my pain meds get changed a lot (as that can put you at risk for central sleep apnea).

I'm still pursuing the mouth breathing. Will see an ENT dr and have been trying out sleeping propped up, as hubby reports he seems to feel more rested (on the theory I am disturbing him). Still no explanation for the weird noises hubby has heard me make in my sleep. Its a possibility I have some narrowing in my area that is disturbing my sleep but not showing up as arousals, its the combo of the few things they did find at the very low levels, is the fibro, or I'm one of those folks that needs 11 hours of sleep (if I get that I feel much better). I actually don't think its the pain meds such as my worst tiredness is right in the morning, when because of my med schedule I have basically nothing effective in my system. Best wishes.
    Kate
    Constant headache for 10 years and other chronic health issues

Kate thanks for the info. I don't respond to sleep medications as my doctors have found so that wouldn't put me to sleep as odd as that seems. Monopolar disease just gives me an amazing amount of energy and keeps my mind constantly think on several things without really being able to turn it off. I have had several opportunities to sleep so far tonight but just can't get there yet as my energy level just doesn't slow down enough.

It is good they have sleep studies that truly help people. I will have to check into a home study as it would let me chose when I would be ready to sleep and able to sleep in my chair. All good info to have, thanks.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

My pain is at a constant pretty severe level, so I wouldn't sleep a wink without sleeping pills. Thankfully, my pain doctor understands this completely. I think he'd be surprised if a chronic pain patient were able to sleep well WITHOUT sleep meds. But I had difficulty falling asleep even before my chronic pain began, so I am pretty much a life-long insomniac. But no sleep apnea or anything like that. By the way, I am one of those people who has always needed about 10 hours of sleep a night to feel normal.

Eva

Community Member

Gee I regret missing this thread, nothing since March of 2012.... is anyone still awake here? LoL

Sleep is essential, but I dare not sleep. All bad things happen if I sleep more than 2 hours at a time, but that is manageble too - I try to do it twice per 24 hrs.

My neck goes bad, I get big bloating in my abdomen, my "Fibro" pains get really bad, I get sleep paralysis, I hallucinate, and the TN ["face pains"] come on... and the TN scares the heck out of me. My gut tightened up just from typing that!

So if I could take something to make me sleep, I wouldn't want to.

Life goes on. But not this thread. G'Night everyone!

Community Member

Its good timing that this thread was resurrected, as I had another sleep study and got much different results this time (almost two years later). This time I was diagnosed with moderate-severe Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (44 movements/hour, with 14 of those waking me up) and mild sleep apnea (5.8 events/hour). Total of 40 or so arousals an hour all together (some spontaneous).

We are first trying me on 0.25mg of Mirapex for the legs. Hubby reports being disturbed less / sleeping better. I was allowed to taper up to a max of 1.5mg, but I can't tolerate any more than that...too much morning grogginess and nausea. Plus I suspect it triggered a three day migraine when I did try to increase it. Glad this dose seems to be helping though.

I don't feel any better during the day yet. I must be in the minority here though as I usually sleep straight through the night, up to 10 hours sometimes even. Yet the sleep study definitely shows I'm not actually sleeping straight through, as I'm having to many micro arousals. I also have severe REM delay, as I didn't reach any REM sleep until the last hour of the 8 hour study. Yet that whole hour was REM oddly enough, so the overall amount of REM wasn't too bad.

I've continued on the Ritalin for hypersomnolense the last couple years. As the Ambien worked so well for the sleep study, I got a prescription for it. Haven't tried it yet as I was hoping the Mirapex would be enough. We might do a CPAP trial for the apnea. My sleep doctor also mentioned that the PLMD may be hiding even more apnea. Not sure why the results were so different this time. My guess though is it may be from the methadone dose increase we did awhile back. Or, we just didn't get good data last time. I didn't sleep nearly as much last time, 5 hours of very fragmented sleep last time vs. 8.5 hours this time with only one memory of waking.

Hope everyone is managing ok. Its been so quiet here. Best wishes.
    Kate
    Constant headache for 10 years and other chronic health issues

Fillmore, I am sorry to hear you have all the issues with sleeping for more than 2 hours at a time.

Kate, sounds like you are making progress with your sleep issues. I am sleeping more now even if I don't want to sleep. I have learned to just accept things and not let the sleep issues bother me.

Wow - what a mixed bag. I remember sleep - it's that thing that SUPPOSED to happen when you get into a nice quite bed, no tv, nothing. I sleep on and off, have to stay in bed until 11am or so as I don't sleep well during what I would call "Normal sleep hours" as in around 10-11PM until 8-9AM.everybody is different and I often have to nap in the afternoon. Houghchrist - I totally agree - except my doc. would cut me off - she told me I have to make a choice, even though MMJ is LEGAL in Arizona with a card - think cat and mouse. as stated before, my SIL was told to stop or her pain meds would be cut - Hospice, bless there hearts never even brought it up and she resumed before she passed, Peacefully. I would have told the doc. what for, as she told me "I'M the one dying here" and got a new doc. The biggest thing is that I have to leave My S/O alone while I sleep. that stinks.

A happy holiday to all
    Blessings to you and yours
    Alex44
    Skypilot
    Last edited by alex44; 12-16-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: TOO Much _ Possible wrong forum

Alex, I forgot what it is like to sleep in bed, other than very painful, as I have slept in my zero gravity chair for 13 years now. I sure miss sleeping with my wife but with her sleep problems as she goes through menopause I probably would be in bed with her much any way. Sorry to hear your pain med doctor is making you choose as it seems like being aware of your use she could adjust your meds to account for it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123