Thread: Grant is still putting on weight and we don't know why?

Distinguished Community Member

Question Grant is still putting on weight and we don't know why?

Hello neuro buddies.

Grant continues to put on weight, and we don't really know the reason why he is doing this.

One week ago Grant weighed 51.4 kg which is the same as 113 lbs.

This week Grant weighed 52 kg, which is 114 lbs.

Grant's ideal weight for his weight and age is really no more than 50 kg.

He gets weighed each week with the same weighing machine at the day centre which is calibrated frequently.

Last week we reduced Grant's calorie intake by reducing his Jevity Hi Cal from two tins a day to 1 1/2 tins a day. I would have expected Grant not to have put any weight on this week!

So Grant's daily meal regime is as follows.

Plenty of water during the day, filtered of course, to keep him hydrated.

For breakfast he has one serve of porridge with All Bran to keep him regular.

For lunch he has one tin of Jevity Hi Cal. For dinner he has what we eat, a very delicious meal of perhaps meat and vegetables, watered-down with vegetable juice.

For supper he has half a tin of Jevit Hi Cal. Approximately every second day he will have a glass of freshly Vitamixed juice.

Every second day, Grant will have about five different vitamins, which we issue and do not have any calories.

The big question is "Why is Grant putting on weight!?"

As a few folk have already said that Grant might be putting on weight because he is in championship mode and not seizing a lot and so not burning up calories.

We will get Grant weighed again next week, and if he has put on weight, I will definitely contact the doctor for a blood test and contact the hospital dietician to discuss Grant's diet.

QUESTION

Does anyone have any further ideas as to why Grant the champ is putting on weight?

Best wishes to all your children and bye for now.

Paul, Alison, and Grant the champ
    Grant's story in pictures and music. A must see :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiZGlwj6VCQ
    Seeya there :)

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Paul, Grant & Alison))))))

Perhaps you could eliminate one of the Jevity Hi Cal and replace it with real food. That might cut down on the caloric intake as well as benefit him overall.

I can't think of any other ideas beyond the ones I suggested in your previous post about Grant's weight gain. I'm going to lean again toward the "filling out" concept. Grant is an adult man now, which means that his body is adjusting to that maturity. My boys' bodies changed when they were in their 20's. It's normal, probably linked to hormonal changes.

When I looked at the photo Nick in Donna's post about the Hockey Fanfair, and compared it to her photo of Nick in her signature, I could see Nick's maturity and "filling out." (Is that accurate, Donna? Have you noticed a change in Nick as he's moving into his 20's? I sure see it in the photos.)

Grant could be experiencing a metabolic change too. A change in absorption?

Lack of movement can certainly contribute to weight gain, so if you can move him about, do ROM etc. more, that might compensate for the movement he isn't having thanks to being seizure-free. Actually, when he is seizure free, that's the best time to do more physical therapy as he is probably more relaxed.

You might want to check his thyroid levels. And his sugar levels and his sodium levels. It wouldn't be a bad idea to do that anyway, just to make sure that there isn't something off kilter somewhere contributing to Grant's weight gain.

While it seems like a lot to you, it's actually not an alarming amount of weight gain over a period of a few months. If he had gained 10 pounds in 2 weeks or even a month, then that might signal something unusual.

And, if you are worried about Grant's weight gain, then by all means, you should consult Grant's doc and dietician. That's entirely appropriate. They will most likely put your mind at ease with a simple explanation. Or they might say, "let's look further into it."

One other thought that just popped into my weary brain ~ since Grant is enjoying the same repast as you and Alison, have either of you put on a pound or two over the past couple of months?

I hope Grant's weight stabilizes, so that you can relax. And how is the owie on his leg these days?

Take care and give Grant a hug from us!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Hmm, interesting. I don't think 114 lbs is too much to worry about. Guys can weigh more than girls because their bodies are different. But I agree with mother of 2 angels. He could be maturing or because of not having seizures. What is Jevity Hi Cal? If that stuff has a lot of sugar in it it can cause weight gain(I forget why) not to mention increase spasms. Judging by the name I'm guessing it probably has a lot of fat in it too. Try regular food more. Smaller meals really often in the day helps weight go down too. When my mom started eating little meals like every 3 hours she lost weight like crazy.