Thread: Grant is putting on weight and we don't know why

Distinguished Community Member

Question Grant is putting on weight and we don't know why

G'day neuro buddies, old, new, recent and past, and inbetween :)

Grant has put on some weight recently and we really don't know why.

A few months back Grant weighed in at 50 kilos = 110 lbs, which for his condition (severe scoliosis), is about as heavy as he should be. As he was putting on weight we stopped giving him the tablespoon of coconut cream (yummy) in his breakfast.

Even though we reduced his calory intake he was weighed last week and weighed in at 51.4 kilos = 113 lbs :( (He will be weighed again on Thursday).

This is not good. We do not want Grant to be heavier than 50 kilos, which is the heaviest he has ever been.

One possibility is that because Grant is so stable and not having many bad seizures, and is not spasming etc, he therefore is not burning as many calories, and so is relaxed and putting on more weight.

I really wonder if something else is going on. Surely he is not having a growth spurt. He is now 23 years old, a bit late for a growth spurt if you ask me.

Could his meds influence his weight?

The only meds he is on are

Frizium (Clobozam) = 2 10 mg tablets a day. As this is a benzo I don't think it would cause weight gain.
    Dilantin liquid = 233 mls twice a day
    Vimpat (Locosamide) = 150 mg twice a day
    Losec (two tablets a day

QUESTION

Why is Grant putting on weight? Are there any blood tests or other tests that Grant could have to see if there is an underlying cause?

Hope to hear from the weight experts soon.

Hugs to all your unique kiddos of course.

Paul, Alison and the cool dude Grant the champ, who is the heaviest he has ever been.
    Last edited by Paul from Australia; 02-05-2012 at 05:16 PM.
    Grant's story in pictures and music. A must see :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiZGlwj6VCQ
    Seeya there :)

First thing that comes to mind, and you've probably already checked this, is thyroid. Kathleen has hypothyroid. We have the same issue. She needs to keep her weight in check which so far hasn't been any problem. She eats healthy. She has a lot of orthopedic issues (including scoliosis) which would definatly decline with extra weight.
    Mary Grace

Hi Paul. I answered on FB as well. Tyler weighs between 116 and 120 lbs. at any given time. He is over 5'9" tall (plus about 5" for his scoliosis/kyphosis) and we deliberately keep him underweight for his height. Much better on his back, spine and hips to be underweight and better for husband, who is still lifting him. Think you might have a clue when you say his seizures have been rock solid. The more Tyler seizes, the more calories he burns. Maybe try giving him fewer high calories. Hope he stays rock solid no matter what. Tyler is sick again. I really hate the winter months!!!
    grandmother of Tyler (22): Ohtahara Syndrome/SCN2a gene mutation, cortically visually impaired, quadriplegic, severely developmentally delayed, no speech, severe intractable seizures, frontal and temporal lobe atrophy, progressive scoliosis/kyphosis, chronic kidney stones & UTI's, gastroparesis, 100% tube fed, autonomic dysreflexia, but what a precious gift from God. "Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change."

Dear Tamie.

Very sory to hear that Tyler is not well. We will pray for him later today.

How are you know? Much better and back to optimum health.

God bless and seeya,

Paul, Alison and Grant the champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi Paul. .....Tyler is sick again. I really hate the winter months!!!

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Paul, Grant & Alison))))))

I agree with the hypothyroid and lack of seizures burning up calories theories. Dilantin can cause weight gain also, although that would have likely occurred before now.

How are Grant's bowel movements? Could he be retaining some poo? How is his urinary output? Could he be retaining some fluid? Any edema anywhere? Is his belly distended?

Weight fluctuations are normal for everyone, which is something else to consider. A few pounds more or less is not generally concerning. It could be possible to weigh Grant tomorrow and his weight would be 112, and the next day it might be 110.

Our metabolism changes as we get older, so maybe not a growth spurt per se, but Grant could be "filling out" as an adult now.

Another consideration is accuracy of the scale. Or the weight of Grant's clothing or other items. Was he weighed on a full or empty stomach? And last time he was weighed, did he have a full or empty stomach? Was he weighed at the same time of the day as the last time he was weighed?

Do you notice the weight gain? In his face? His arms? His torso? Does he feel heavier? "Clinical signs" to associate with the addition of pounds?

Unless Grant starts packing on the pounds, or becomes bloated, or his arms, legs and gut begin filling up with fluid, I would imagine that the difference in his weight readings is probably something benign, like the scale being off, or the time of day being different, or just normal weight fluctuation.

With Jon's osteoporosis, we've found that it's been beneficial to him to have a little extra meat on his bones. Not to the point of obesity, of course, as he also has a spinal curve and a thousand other medical issues. Most meds are hard on the bones, especially Dilantin, so a little protection of fat around them actually helps Jon. Until a bone breaks, we don't realize how fragile they are.

I don't think that a weight gain of 3 pounds over a few months is alarming, and as I mentioned, it could be attributable to an assortment of factors unrelated to Grant's health. Now, if his weight has increased significantly when he's weighed on Thursday, then you might have something about which to be concerned. You might want to schedule the weigh in for the same time of day as his last one, just to make sure that you can cross that possible discrepancy off of your list.

What wonderful news that Grant is not seizing and burning up calories that way. Maybe he needs some other form of activity (therapy of some kind) to burn off those calories now! :) The pool, possibly?

Please let us know Grant's weight after his Thursday weigh in. Hope it's in the range of where he is now.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Hi Rose.

Thank you for your response to my question.

Grant is currently on 33 mls of Dilantin liquid twice a day. My understanding is that that is a reasonably large dose. He has been on this dose for well over a year now. Grants bowel movements are fine and there was nothing at all wrong with his urinary output. We can't see any oedema anywhere such as his ankles.

Your theory of Grant filling out is an interesting one. His legs in particular and the fire area above the knee used to be quite skinny, but now his legs have filled out.

Regarding the scales, he is weighed of the day centre where the scales are always kept calibrated correctly. He generally gets weighed in the afternoon after lunch.

It is absolutely wonderful the Grant is being so stable again. We praise God for his sovereign hand on Grant.

I want to get Grant back to swimming as soon as possible, but at the moment the Grantmobile as a few major technical problems that have to be fixed before the car is roadworthy. The vehicle is now over 12 years old and starting to show its age. Fortunately there are sufficient funds in his ISP package which will pay for the work done on his car.

We will get Grant weighed again on Thursday and let you know what the results are.

Best wishes and bye for now.

Paul, Alison, and Grant the champ.

Ps. Dictated using Dragon NaturallySpeaking, which I have just installed on my computer. An amazing program :)