Song Lyrics for the Soul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Song Lyrics for the Soul

I was sitting in a waiting room when a good song came on around the corner and uplifted my spirits. :angel:
    I figured it would be a positive thing to share lyrics which inspire us or lift our moods or even express some darker thoughts but get 'em out.
    Sooo if you write it down, you have to be able to remember how to SING it when the right time comes around to put it to use. Think of it as a singing mantra.
    I'm going first with the tune I heard yesterday.

In the arms of an Angel; may you find some comfort here.

-- Sarah Mclachlan
    In the Arms of an Angel
    Sher
    My Life Menu: CFS probably since birth, full flavored since the 80s, with Fibromyalgia, Major Depression with a side order of Anxiety and Agoraphobia sauce, Restless Leg Syndrome with spicy Other Sleep Disorders, 11 Eye Surgeries, a generous helping of Gut Problems

from the dark side....

i say burn all your bridges while you still have control of the flame... by evan's blue.

it means to me to get out of a bad situation while you still have some choices on how to do it. don't wait until you have to go hastily.

jeannie
    WE ARE BT!
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Comment

♪No longer lend you strength to that which you wish to be free from,,,,♪

Jewel

There are so many I can pull from Jewel lyrics!!

Comment

I love this song by R.E.M. brings tears to my eyes almost every time I hear it.

Everybody Hurts

'When you think you've had too much of this life, well hang on
        .'

Comment

Whitney's Songs Live On

In honor of Whitney Houston's passing --

The greatest love of all is easy to achieve,
          Learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all.

-- Linda Creed & Michael Masser
          The Greatest Love of All

Last edited by Beader; 02-12-2012, 11:17 AM. Reason: wrong song writers
          Sher
          My Life Menu: CFS probably since birth, full flavored since the 80s, with Fibromyalgia, Major Depression with a side order of Anxiety and Agoraphobia sauce, Restless Leg Syndrome with spicy Other Sleep Disorders, 11 Eye Surgeries, a generous helping of Gut Problems

Comment

Yes Sher, her voice was like no other singer I know. Many mourn her passing. Jo
            Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
            'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

Comment

And here's a little Bonnie Raitt to ease your Blues...

Just give me one thing that I can hold on to,
              To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go.

-- John Prine

Angel from Montgomery

Last edited by Beader; 02-23-2012, 03:36 PM.
              Sher

Comment

Whats' a mantra? What do I do here?
                Lorraine (lor)

Comment

Lor here is the definition of mantra for you.

A
                  mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation" (cf. Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...)

Sher had just started a thread about music that moves us. What do you like to listen to?

Comment

The word mantra is said to come from a root meaning “that which protects the mind.” In Buddhist meditation, many things can be used as objects of concentration — as “mind protectors.”

Mantras are sounds — words or phrases — that are used as an object of concentration.

The sounds may be chanted out loud, or may be heard internally. When the mantra is chanted internally, it is the “inner sound” of the thought that is used as an object of focus in meditation.
                    When the mantra is chanted out loud, the sound of the mantra is a focus for attention, although we may also focus on the vibrations in the body, and the movements of the body.

I started doing meditation in the early 70s & have tried all different varieties. My long-time therapist shared many of my interests, so when I'd get off the phone, I'd ask her for a "mantra of the week" to help me thru. It might be something like "when one door closes, another opens", which I would repeat esp. during times of stress. For many years when I'd be panicking over something, I'd just say "I'm OK, I'm OK, I'm OK".

You can do the same thing with phrases from songs. It can be something meaningful, as people suggested above or it can be almost nonsense syllables. If you like the tune, you could repeat/sing "do you know the way to San Jose?" if that feels comforting to you.

Lately I've been hung up on Marrakesh Express because I remembered that one of my Lithuanian cousins had taken a vacation to Tunisia & I'd been trying to get hold of him by email. But honestly, the song isn't really worth remembering. Ooops, sorry I brought it up if it gets stuck in anyone else's head.
                    Sher

Comment

Sher I like that much better. I just copied yea ole wiki. Sometimes trying to keep it simple just doesn't get it

My therapist and docs have been talking about my meditating to help my anxiety and pain but I just can't shut my brain up long enough to get into it.

When I was in outpatient rehab I had a few tapes that the therapists there had made for me and used a bit of meditation to get through those days. I don't know maybe to actually be with someone to teach me to meditate. I always wanted to try biofeedback.

For me popping in some music, singing along at the top of my lungs and a little bit of broken dancing thrown in here and there is very therapeutic for me lol.
                      Last edited by houghchrst; 04-09-2012, 08:27 AM.

Comment

I kind of liked this thread and felt the need to post here. Been spending more time with my music. I can tell I am getting old because I don't even know whats out there today except for the occasional pop song I hear a lot on tv. Trying to get happy and my music helps keep me moving. Otherwise I get hooked on the tv and find myself going from stopping and starting to eventually planting my heinie for too long lolol.

Let's see, my verse for today,

Ya know I'd like to keep my cheeks dry today. --- Blind Melon

Comment

I just heard a song that always makes me smile cuz it is so lovely......Bridge Over Troubled Water.....not just the beginning, but the whole song is great. When you hear it or sing along, you think of your good friend.

When you're weary
                          Feeling small
                          When tears are in your eyes
                          I will dry them all...
                          Lorraine (lor)

Comment

morocco they produce wine but wont drink it

Comment

Simon & Garfunkel Lyrics
                              "Blessed"

Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit.
                              Blessed is the lamb whose blood flows.
                              Blessed are the sat upon, Spat upon, Ratted on,
                              O Lord, Why have you forsaken me?
                              I got no place to go,
                              I've walked around Soho for the last night or so.
                              Ah, but it doesn't matter, no.

Blessed is the land and the kingdom.
                              Blessed is the man whose soul belongs to.
                              Blessed are the meth drinkers, Pot sellers, Illusion dwellers.
                              O Lord, Why have you forsaken me?
                              My words trickle down, like a wound
                              That I have no intention to heal.
                              Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Comment

Working...
                              X