Thread: Interesting comments by Vollmer on causes and on meds MS

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Default Interesting comments by Vollmer on causes and on meds MS

DENVER - Colorado has the highest rate of Multiple Sclerosis in the country. Wednesday morning, University of Colorado Hospital neurologists answered questions on the disease and why the MS rate is so high in Colorado.

"There have been significant advances in the last few years about the cause of MS. There appears to be several different factors. One is genetics; the disease is more prevalent in people from Northern Europe. The second one is low Vitamin D levels early in life, and possibly in in-utero, increase the risk of MS subsequently," University of Colorado Doctor Tim Vollmer said.
    He says people in Colorado are normally diagnosed with low-levels of Vitamin D. Some experts believe Vitamin D levels may be low in the state because of Coloradan's use of sunscreen.

Vollmer says new MS research and treatments are progressing at a remarkable rate.

"The field Multiple Sclerosis is one of the most rapidly evolving fields of medicine right now. We have eight FDA therapies and three that are likely to be approved within the next year to 18 months.
    In the last year or so, we've developed a new blood test that would identify patients who are at risk of some of the serious side effects of the drugs. As a consequence, we can now identify people who are likely to do very well on a certain drug with a very low risk," Vollmer said.

Although there is no cure for MS, there are treatments and medications. MS treatment typically focuses on strategies to treat symptoms and attacks.

"Some of the newer drugs like Tysabri or Genelia in particular have a much bigger impact in preventing disability. In the case of Tysabri, about half to maybe two-thirds [of] patients actually improve over time with that therapy. That's the first time in history we've ever had that treatment available," Vollmer said.

Vollmer says the disease generally presents itself as symptoms that affect the brain and nervous system.

"Symptoms of MS can be anything the brain does; typically it's vision problems, numbness, tingling strength or balance problems," Vollmer said.
    There are several different resources for people suffering from Multiple Sclerosis in Colorado.

"There's the MS Center, there's folks both available online as well as the website, there's the National MS Society, www.nationalmssociety.org, and then we have educational programs that we offer throughout the year," Vollmer said.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Thanks for posting this, Linda:o
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Distinguished Community Member

I know he is a nice man, but he just makes it sound so rosy to people who do not know better.

Glad to hear that they can now identify the people that are susceptible to adverse effects. I would assume he meant PML, even though he did not name that.
    I was not aware that testing had been that successful.

Thanks Linda for posting this. It is interesting to read what the Doctor's are saying.
    Virginia

Default on Vollmer

Hi Virginia,
    I always pay attention to Vollmer because he IS a major researcher on MS.

When he was head of the MS center at Yale, my own neurologist sent me to him to consult. Vollmer was the one who put me on IVIg ( read Gabriela's thread) and it was a blessing. I was a problem case at the time having dealt with a malignant melanoma and they had to figure out what drugs would not encourage growth of any leftover cancer cells. (cancer free for 10 years so I guess they chose well!)
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Default Vollmer

Linda, It's good to know that a major MS researcher put you on IVIG. My old neuro who is the head of the MS Center tried to get me on IVIG over a year ago with the dx of MS and Medicare would not approve it. I don't believe he really tried hard enough as he wanted me on Tysabri but I didn't. Now that I was tested in the hospital in April for MG by another doctor and it came back positive I can get the IVIG paid for by Medicare!

Do you think the IVIG would work for you again? It seemed to be a miracle treatment before....

Gabriella
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Alberta Canada, with a Beatiful view of the Rockies

I'm in Northern Alberta and here in Canada we have the highest number of MS sufferers out of all surveyed countries... so the Theory about the lack of Vitamin D seems to make sense since our summers are so short and well winter in Canada is DARK... in the depth of winter some days we get a whopping 9 hours of daylight... the further north you go the less you get in the winter. Up in Nunavut it is approximately 1/2 hour of dawn/dusk and the rest of the day/night is Dark./.. whilst in the summer it is the opposite... 1/2hour of dawn/dusk and the rest of the time it's broad daylight... crazy... you can be playing ball in the park at 3AM and think it's 3PM.... wild....I can understand why Canada's MS stat's are off of the chart....

Connie
    Brain/Pit tumor=17 brain surgeries 20year csf leak(Feb, 1993) After initial tumor removal!, SPMS , Hydrocephalus from a intraventricular hemorrhage! Panhypopituitary, Diabetes Insipidus, tension pneumatocele, ( air under the skull next to the brain), 2 craniofacial craniotomies, several shunt revisions, 7 bifrontal craniotomies ... Dag "If I started crying I wouldn't stop!

Default Hello Connie

It seems like a long time since I've heard how you are doing. Hope all is stable...

Where I live there is the deer tick that causes Lyme. I was diagnosed with Lyme 7 years before I was diagnosed with MS.The theory is that my Lyme triggered the start of my MS. I think it is very real that there are different triggers.

Triggers and Cures---we could write a book!
    Linda~~~~

Yea, Linda when someone starts to tell me about how many drugs we have now and how much good they are doing all of us - after listening to something on the news, I just roll my eyes and try not to say anything. But I think most of us who have been on here for awhile have at least one book in us about causes, triggers and cures. We probably should all get together and write one and try to make ourselves some money - but who would buy it?:o
    Virginia

Default Book

I have thought of writing my story and it would be a book. In 1942 America's Chemical Warfare Camp was Camp Sibert, Alabama and it was in operation for 3 years before it closed. After it closed the thousands of acres were sold off to innocent victims and my Father was one of them. He bought the "American Dream" of owning 2 acres of toxic polluted land. It is now on the Super Fund Clean Up list.

Unfortunately, ignorant of the contamination in the soil, he grew all our vegetables and Mother canned our food for the winter months.

The end of the story has been early deaths due to cancers, lupus, multiple sclerosis, and other diseases.

You have the environmental connection in my case. I don't know if I could get it published because our government is the culprit in this story and many others as well.

If you want to know what is proven and published you can google "Camp Sibert Alabama History" and see the men in hazmat suits on Site 8 and read other interesting articles about the Camp and the attempts to clean up the toxic site. I would think that some of you never knew that our country had our own stockpile of chemical warfare agents.

Gabriella
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 02-06-2012 at 10:17 PM.
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon