BrainTalk Communities is on FaceBook!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BrainTalk Communities is on FaceBook!

A part of the New Year, BrainTalk Communities has new face on Facebook! Now you can drop by and say hello on our official Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...We will not only use it to help keep everyone informed of updates and plans for the future, but we will also be using it to help let more people know we are here.
    As one of our external faces, it will depend a lot on member support. That means by clicking the "like" button, & every time you visit and post a comment, you are helping out.

I hope to see you there...

Thanks for your support!
    "The Most Determined Win!"

” If Windmills do indeed cause cancer, wouldn’t spinning them backwards cure it?” 🤪

oh god I am gonna have to change my name. Getting right on that.

Comment

I'm not sure why you think you must change your username. We will not be posting any member usernames from here on Facebook, and participation is totally optional. Even those that do choose to participate, should not be be able to be cross-connected unless their usernames are the same, or very similar to the ones they use on FB.

” If Windmills do indeed cause cancer, wouldn’t spinning them backwards cure it?” 🤪

Comment

I have posted and liked it and shared it to my profil page,woo hoo :) I hope more of the former members will find us again... :) :)

Comment

I have the same hopes Ging. I will also be trying to see if we can get things going again in the chatrooms. I would like to see them more active in the coming year.

Comment

some of us have not been able to post on BT recently. finally got a reply to go through today. I'm not happy you have put us on Facebook. why didn't we get to have some input first? I've been a member here for years & this is probably going to keep me from remaining here.

curious why you did this? also want to know if the archives will be available for the entire world to read now?

Comment

Buttons, I don't think you HAVE to go to FB. You can still post here. I actually like the idea and think it is a good thing; more people will probably join the group that may not have been aware of it before. :)
              C3/C4 ACDF - 2004, C5/C6 ACDF - 2006
              L5/S1 - Facet Degeneration
              Lumbar Facet Rhizotomy L4, L5, S1 (left side) 2007
              Retired - DOD/Defense Finance & Acctg/IT - 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Buttons2 View Post
                some of us have not been able to post on BT recently. finally got a reply to go through today. I'm not happy you have put us on Facebook. why didn't we get to have some input first? I've been a member here for years & this is probably going to keep me from remaining here.

curious why you did this? also want to know if the archives will be available for the entire world to read now?
                Yes, the BrainTalk Communities forums and its archives are, and have always been available for the entire world to read. To find them, all you need do is use a search engine like Google. That is the nature of the internet.

One of the goals of having a Facebook page is to make us easier to find for people who have neurological disorders, not to mention, to help connect with former members.

I'm not happy you have put us on Facebook.
                We have not put you, or anyone else on Facebook. We have placed a page there that only displays BrainTalk Communities name, what we're all about, and a place for us, and any interested people to post messages, comments, or perhaps questions.
                Those that have no interest in Facebook need not participate.

Facebook may turn out to be a great tool to expanding the membership of BrainTalk Communities.

But if you don't like Facebook, that's ok, you don't have to participate, and you won't be effected.

Comment

David, I hope for Brain Talk Communities Support sake it all goes well as you expect it to.

I am a member at Face Book. Let me tell you a few things that have happened to me over at Face Book. Someone told me they were glad I had joined FB. I had no idea what they were talking about. BTW my email addy and also a password were both there. It was a shock to find my name, much personal information etc. I wrote FB and asked them to take my name off their membership. Nothing happened!

Next thing I know I see a picture of myself. No mistaking, it was me and clear as a bell. I asked again to be removed from their site. Of course no answer on that either.

Then last summer 2 different people were using my email and my password. I found out, on my own with no help from Face Book. I wrote Face Book again and this time they actually answered me. I told them who was using my account, I knew their names because I hunted them down myself.

These people were strangers to me. FB said they would take care of it. They banned these people, but some time later I saw them on FB again. I guess they had got their own info. At that time I requested my account be closed. I had not been on FB for quiet awhile and only went there to see if they had indeed closed my account. Of course they had not.

I got tired of fooling with them so just stopped going. By this time many people had been writing on my wall & etc. Not wanting to be rude I've answered these people, but told them I seldom went to face Book, if they wanted to email me please don't do it thru FB.

What I'm getting at is this, I have bitter feeling's in how they run their site. Just by my name being there the whole world can read anything that has been written to me.

My sister wrote me and asked me why I was cleaning out my "friends" on my page. I went to face book again, yes indeed someone again was taking advantage of my account. They were posting this in my name!! I did not have to do this, but I wrote a post saying that it wasn't ME that had written about clearing out my friends. That if anybody else was using my name please tell me.

I have family that go there and I know many people that go there. I am not able to spend much time at the computer anymore for health reasons. I spent the time I had here at Brain Talk. I also have been here about 13 years and have no idea how many post I had.

Brain Talk has been a life saver to me for many years. People from Brain Talk kept me from going insane those 13 years, encouraging and helping me along when I could not stand any longer. Most of this help came from the Alzheimer's Disease Forum. I can't say enough good things about it. My mother-in-law died this past May. I was her primary caregiver. I will be forever grateful for the people from the Alzheimers Forum. I'm also grateful for people from all over BT that have helped me along with the neuro issues I myself have.

I hope somewhere along the way I was an encouragement to others. Those are the 2 reasons I have stayed at Brain Talk all these years.I spent much time in the old Chat rooms. Many I met there are still with BT today.

I have said all of that to say this, nobody ask my opinion, no need to. That is up to BrainTalk to decide which way they want to go with their quest for new members.

I read a post here less than an hour ago from Buttons aka Pati. The post is gone, but I feel the same way she does concerning Face Book. The reasons I have posted first is true, every word and more. I was disappointed to read Brain Talk had opened a page on Face Book.

AS bottoms said, this move could backfire. Think about how they run their site. All of this has happened to me, it's been over a period of time. I know there are people that are very active there and they would not hesitate to use someone else's information.

I don't have to go to Face Book for someone to join Brain Talk and say any thing they want about me. I know people that would do just that.

yes, people will be hurt and I'm very sorry for that.

Julia
                  Last edited by Jo6; 01-08-2012, 01:51 PM. Reason: spelling
                  Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
                  'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

Comment

hey everyone !

julia and pati...think of BT as a person, just like me. i have a facebook page. it doesn't effect you, pati, unless you have your own facebook page and ask to be a friend of mine. then if you would post on my wall, all MY friends would see it. there is nothing connecting these forums to facebook. nothing you post here will ever be linked to facebook. if you don't have a facebook page, you have no problems. if you do, the only way you would then be connected to bt was if you "liked" their page.

as david said, everything you write here has always been and will always be visible to anyone on the internet. so if i type your bt name in google.com, a page will come up with your posts. but unless some one specifically does that (and i don't know why they would), you are just one of thousands of members here on bt that people can also look up.

julia, unfortunately, once you or someone else starts a page on facebook with your name, facebook will not take it off. i hope they do so in the future. also, remember anything someone posts on your wall is DELETEABLE, you you can get rid of it if you don't like what someone has posted.

what i did was save the logo to my pictures and then copied it to the page. i wanted people to be able to share the logo. however, when i posted it, it was only given the option of "like" or "comment" not "share". i think if you posted the logo, it would be more powerful for people to post it to their walls...as it's an extremely nice logo and gives us a "presence". i'm showing you what i want people to be able to share:

BT.jpg

i have already put it on my facebook wall. also, the url to the site is on the logo. i think knowing the url would be very helpful. the logo does stand out on your wall when you post it. you don't have to click on it to make it bigger or the url visible...unless you want to. i'm also wondering if having the year we first started as a website would give us more credibility. that would involve changing the logo slightly and putting something like, "since 1996" or "est. 1996" somewhere on the logo. i don't know if that's possible or if you even want to do that, just throwing it out there and seeing where it lands ....

jeannie
                    Last edited by tic chick; 01-09-2012, 05:09 PM.
                    WE ARE BT!
                    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
                    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
                    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Comment

Queenie if you Google your BT name then you can see that nobody is gonna get to your posts here unless they check every Jo6 listed. I have found nothing on you on the first few search pages. If they don't know you here then they can't find you and then it would be a major search. Most people don't know how You have nothing to worry about. As long as you don't link any BT posts or people to your FB account you will be fine. Just don't take any BT related friend requests. You don't use FB so I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Now me, I used my last name and part of my first as a screen name. Yes I even made it obvious by my signature lol. When I google my screen name here..........well try it and you will see that I am all over the internet. Of course I am not the only person with my actual name so to google my name is ineffective. No one knows my screen name here but it wouldn't be hard to find since I was not too smart about my screen name. I am working on a mindset that I don't really care what is seen. I meant every word. If they don't like they can........well take a flying leap.

Now on FB there are a lot of security settings that can be set up to keep others from seeing any BT posts or posts at all for that matter. You can hide them, you can make it so the only person who sees the posts is you and you can delete them from your wall. If you are not an active member of FB but still have an account there is no concern because you can go to security and make it so the only person who sees any posts is you. If you want you can also delete any friends you have from either just BT or all of your friends so you cannot get any posts. That will pretty much make your FB page a whole lot of nothin'. Also if you google your name, not your screenname here, you get a picture of your namesake at FB with a bunch of scantily clad gorgeous men as a profile pick lol, not bad. It takes a lot more work to search for you so I don't think you have anything to worry about and if you want you can email me, yes that is still my email I just am lazy and shamefully haven't not gotten back to you yet and I can try and help.

I am slowly working on my security settings also. My page is somewhat limited already. Unfortunately some of that family of mine are what I worry about the most. It would be kind of obvious if I suddenly block my family lolol.

Also I am in a bit of a conundrum because I long for BT to get new members. I think a FB page for BT is a wonderful way to get new members and I would love to FB with my friends here but I also don't want my family in my bidness. So a change of settings will be called for in both places.

I don't think anyone has anything to worry about.

Comment

Our Facebook page is just another way to let people know that we are out here.
                        Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
                        Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
                        Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
                        Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
                        Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
                        Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
                        Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

goodmorning to all. Folks, I think I've given the wrong impression about my concerns of others seeing my post on the internet. I have known way before I got my own computer that anything printed on the internet was open to the world.

What bothers me is the fact that other people can take your name, picture and password and say anything they want and pretending they are you and there is nothing you can do to stop this. I don't know how many times I have changed my password, but most passwords aren't hard to figure out if you set your mind to it.

For this very reason I was just saying what happened to me on Face Book. I did not set my account up with FB, someone else did. I didn't put my picture on my page either, but someone else did. All of this happened at least 4 years ago. My atempts to get my name removed from FB is a lost cause. Staying away from FB is not too wise either. Thats when I discovered others using my account and then recently had someone just out right using it all, my name, my password & my picture.

I am painfully aware of all of these things. May as well save your fingers to join something unless you know it will never be taken off even though you do what they say when they use the word "unsubscribe".

I hope Face Book works out well for new members to Brain Talk. I have been talking freely to family and friends on FB about Brain Talk ever since I found myself a member of this site. Most of the members there could benifit from Brain Talk.
                          That I am sure off.

I hope you understand why I had reservations about it all.

Julia
                          Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
                          'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

Comment

Old thread but the reason for the reply is new I have created a new "Facebook profile" picutre for our FB page. This only affects BTC Inc's FB page. The original did not resize properly so I had to make a new one, it's a little cramped but I think it's much better than having it cut off and looking ugly

BTC Inc's Facebook page is Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                            Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
                            Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
                            Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
                            Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
                            Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
                            Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
                            Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

Hey that news would keep me off BT, where i just came back yesterday!!!!!!!!!!

Who remembers when another website was picking up all our posts and using them on theirs? Years ago.

Oh, i just saw Paul McC above me. I listened to that song over and over at bash for Queen (on tape). I love him anyway. i have gotten no answer since then....or for years.

I don't want to go anywhere near Facebook.
                              member since 2002, dx'd 4/04, progressive 2 weeks later

"I will arise and go now and go to Innisfree...."
                              William Butler Yeats

Comment

Working...
                              X