Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BrainTalk Communities is on FaceBook!

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Queenie if you Google your BT name then you can see that nobody is gonna get to your posts here unless they check every Jo6 listed. I have found nothing on you on the first few search pages. If they don't know you here then they can't find you and then it would be a major search. Most people don't know how You have nothing to worry about. As long as you don't link any BT posts or people to your FB account you will be fine. Just don't take any BT related friend requests. You don't use FB so I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Now me, I used my last name and part of my first as a screen name. Yes I even made it obvious by my signature lol. When I google my screen name here..........well try it and you will see that I am all over the internet. Of course I am not the only person with my actual name so to google my name is ineffective. No one knows my screen name here but it wouldn't be hard to find since I was not too smart about my screen name. I am working on a mindset that I don't really care what is seen. I meant every word. If they don't like they can........well take a flying leap.

Now on FB there are a lot of security settings that can be set up to keep others from seeing any BT posts or posts at all for that matter. You can hide them, you can make it so the only person who sees the posts is you and you can delete them from your wall. If you are not an active member of FB but still have an account there is no concern because you can go to security and make it so the only person who sees any posts is you. If you want you can also delete any friends you have from either just BT or all of your friends so you cannot get any posts. That will pretty much make your FB page a whole lot of nothin'. Also if you google your name, not your screenname here, you get a picture of your namesake at FB with a bunch of scantily clad gorgeous men as a profile pick lol, not bad. It takes a lot more work to search for you so I don't think you have anything to worry about and if you want you can email me, yes that is still my email I just am lazy and shamefully haven't not gotten back to you yet and I can try and help.

I am slowly working on my security settings also. My page is somewhat limited already. Unfortunately some of that family of mine are what I worry about the most. It would be kind of obvious if I suddenly block my family lolol.

Also I am in a bit of a conundrum because I long for BT to get new members. I think a FB page for BT is a wonderful way to get new members and I would love to FB with my friends here but I also don't want my family in my bidness. So a change of settings will be called for in both places.

I don't think anyone has anything to worry about.

Blog Entries

Our Facebook page is just another way to let people know that we are out here.
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Distinguished Community Member Jo6's Avatar

goodmorning to all. Folks, I think I've given the wrong impression about my concerns of others seeing my post on the internet. I have known way before I got my own computer that anything printed on the internet was open to the world.

What bothers me is the fact that other people can take your name, picture and password and say anything they want and pretending they are you and there is nothing you can do to stop this. I don't know how many times I have changed my password, but most passwords aren't hard to figure out if you set your mind to it.

For this very reason I was just saying what happened to me on Face Book. I did not set my account up with FB, someone else did. I didn't put my picture on my page either, but someone else did. All of this happened at least 4 years ago. My atempts to get my name removed from FB is a lost cause. Staying away from FB is not too wise either. Thats when I discovered others using my account and then recently had someone just out right using it all, my name, my password & my picture.

I am painfully aware of all of these things. May as well save your fingers to join something unless you know it will never be taken off even though you do what they say when they use the word "unsubscribe".

I hope Face Book works out well for new members to Brain Talk. I have been talking freely to family and friends on FB about Brain Talk ever since I found myself a member of this site. Most of the members there could benifit from Brain Talk.
    That I am sure off.

I hope you understand why I had reservations about it all.

Julia
    Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
    'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

Blog Entries

Old thread but the reason for the reply is new I have created a new "Facebook profile" picutre for our FB page. This only affects BTC Inc's FB page. The original did not resize properly so I had to make a new one, it's a little cramped but I think it's much better than having it cut off and looking ugly

BTC Inc's Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brain...21141474585641

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Hey that news would keep me off BT, where i just came back yesterday!!!!!!!!!!

Who remembers when another website was picking up all our posts and using them on theirs? Years ago.

Oh, i just saw Paul McC above me. I listened to that song over and over at bash for Queen (on tape). I love him anyway. i have gotten no answer since then....or for years.

I don't want to go anywhere near Facebook.
    member since 2002, dx'd 4/04, progressive 2 weeks later

"I will arise and go now and go to Innisfree...."
    William Butler Yeats

Blog Entries

(((((Barbara)))))

You don't have to go anywhere near Facebook I promise :) Our Facebook page is there to let people know what is going on in case we crash again. Of course people that want to, can post on our "wall", but NO information from BrainTalk goes to Facebook.

Step 1 - log in

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12