Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In this season we try to see our gifts, what are yours from CP

Distinguished Community Member

Default In this season we try to see our gifts, what are yours from CP

I know that it is odd to think of our pain being a gift but if we approach it that way we can see somethings we get from our pain. I am not saying that it overcomes the pain, although I wish it did, but that we can see it as something other than an evil thing in our life. For me it has made me look at each day without thinking of tomorrow or yesterday. It keeps me in the moment and not thinking about what is coming up. Another thing I have gotten from the pain is a better outlook at other people's issues and being more patient with them. It makes me see that others can't always control what their issue is. But it also makes me see they should seek out help if they aren't right now. My CP has also shown me that all the things that others want don't mean a lot when your life is disrupted by pain. I don't need the newest phone or Ipad ect because I am happy to be able to be up and do just a little like a regular person. There are many more things I could write but I want to finish with I am thankful my savior's birthday is celebrated this Sunday.

What have you ganed from CP? I know it isn't easy to come up with things but think about it and let me know.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Community Member

Well Mark, the first thing that popped into my head was, 75 lbs. lol. Seriously, the gift I have received is a reconnect with God. Before I was injured, I was making good money, everything was going great, but I was ignoring my faith. Oh, it was still there, just on the back burner. All this so called ( free time ) allowed me to read more on the bible, and really look at the way my life was heading. It has showed me that all things do happen for a reason. It took me a very long time to understand this, and I still have questions.

Mark, I count my blessings in the fact I have more patience with others, tolerance and My Faith, which is renewed every day. I also count this board, which has brought me up a bunch of levels from self pity to facing facts and just dealing with. without my faith i could not have made the progress in my personal growt. this is thanks to ALL the wonderful peop;e on the board. Hope this finds every one as well as they can be and a happy holiday.
    Blessing
    Alex44

Burr and Alex, thanks for the replies. I am always recharged whenever I see how others find things in their life that have come from CP. Burr I could have added the extra pounds too but thankfully I have been losing them lately and am near my original weight. I can't say why it has happened although my appetite has declined. Alex, this board has been a life saver for me over the years. It is hard to think back to the first time I signed on, 1998, not really knowing what I would find. It was an open and free wheeling board back then with attacks but also with plenty of good info and support. We have seen a number of crashes and a number of members come and go and then find their way back again. It is always good when someone leaves because they have solved their problem and can live a pain free life.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Hi Mark,
    Made me see, everyone has SOME issue they are dealing with, and almost everyone is in a coping mode, no matter whether it is health, financial, family, addiction, emotional, job related, relationships, grief, etc. and we have to know that if someone is unkind, short tempered or critical, it may be because of the burden they carry. Also, it has brought me to this group of friends on this forum, which is one of the greatest gifts of all.

I wish you all well and pray you experience much love and comfort during the holidays.
    My very best to everyone.
    Love, Diandra

Community Member

Mark, I know I have said this before. But I guess I would have to say that I have come to appreciate the little things in life. I was working for so long that I know for a fact I missed out on quite a bit. Having CP and as Diandra said, coping, causes one to reflect on all the good small things. :) I am thankful for the time I can now spend with friends and family and my new granddaughter. And for the record, I am returning the Mercedes I bought you this year LOL! Just teasing you. :)
    C3/C4 ACDF - 2004, C5/C6 ACDF - 2006
    L5/S1 - Facet Degeneration
    Lumbar Facet Rhizotomy L4, L5, S1 (left side) 2007
    Retired - DOD/Defense Finance & Acctg/IT - 2005

Community Member

I think its made me mentally stronger...like I can make it through this so I can make it through most anything else. Its exposed me to folks on the forums that are worse off than I am so it gives me something to be thankful for--that I'm not any worse. Everyone has their struggles and this is just one of mine. Happy holidays!
    Kate
    Constant headache for 10 years and other chronic health issues

Diandra, you are so right about each of us having something to cope with and knowing that when they are mean or irritated it very well could be what they are coping with.

Kathi, our condition often doesn't let us do anything but think of the small things in our lives. Working does take so much of our lives we often forget about the small things. My granddaughter, and yours will, shows me how to focus on small things and get the awe feeling about it. She stops on walks to look at every little thing that I usually walk over without thinking about it and she sees it in a much different way.

tortoisegirl, you reminded me about how CP has made me even more tough mentally as you say.

It is good we get something out of this pain. I hope others stop in and share what they get from their life. Everyone have a MERRY CHRISTMAS.

New Community Member

I don't post often. I have had another Microdiscectomy since my last posting. It seems that the fusion at L4-5 just caused stress on the upper level next to it. Fortunately, the surgery was a success. I still have the old pain but the new leg pain is gone.
    I am fortunate to have experienced CP for so many years because I can relate to my patients. I am working two days a week as a volunteer at a Faith Based Free Clinic. I have compassion for those in pain and feel that I do touch their lives in a positive way.

Maggie, I too believe our pain causes us to understand other people's pain better. The people that come to the clinic benefit from your experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast