Thread: Hereditary???

Hybrid View

Distinguished Community Member

Default Hereditary???

I was just wondering if epilepsy is hereditary? My youngest daughter has epilepsy and we were wondering.
    Take care,
    Dawn

Hi Dawn,

My Epi has told me that epilepsy can be hereditary. Epilepsy runs in my family and that's what everyone thought caused my sz. until they realized all my cousins had tonic clonic sz. where mine were only absence and cp sz. so I didn't inheirt the epilepsy
    it came from scar tissue. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You and Your Family!

Sue

I'm wondering if her's is not because we can't locate anyone who had it. As far back as we can trace. Which is about 3 generations.
    Take care,
    Dawn

Hi Dawn,

I'm sure you know many things can cause epilepsy. For yrs. my Dr. told me that my epilepsy was caused by lack of oxygen at birth but it wasn't until I had a WADA test done that I found out the true cause of my epilepsy was from trauma
    when my mother was 4 months pregnant with me and my Grandfather passed away then. This upset my mom so much that the trauma effected me even though I wasn't born yet and to many brain cells went on my right temporal lobe causing a
    scar. To find out for sure if the sz. are heriditary find out what type of sz. your family member had and if they are the same kind then there's a chance that they could have been inherited but the best way to find out what has caused the sz. is a wada test.
    I wish you and your daughter the best of luck and May God Bless You Both!

Sue

Hi Dawn,
    Here are a few things that can cause epilepsy:

Drug and alcohol abuse, lack of oxygen, trauma, a bad blow to the head, sleep disorders (sleep apnea) , a bad scare, scar tissue on the brain, and even a scary dream along with heredity. To much stress, lack of sleep, and hormones changing can also be the
    3 big things that trigger sz. for a person. I know that when a person gets alzhemiers and they have strokes sometimes this can lead to sz. also. Here's wishing you and your family well. May God Bless You!

Sue