Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Party room- a place for fun, pity, commiserating, or any other thing you come up with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Kat, can't believe I didn't check in yesterday as I didn't sleep very well last night and was up most of the night. I am afraid Winter may be a tough one this year. Our gas bill said that this past October was 63% colder than last October. At least you have the Packers to keep you inside to watch their games as they keep winning. It is hard to believe the Colts have fallen so far in one year. I think we need to clean house as far as the coaches are concerned but I am afraid the owner won't make that move and blame it all on losing Manning but he didn't play defense.

I spent the past two days doing some of the moulding. At this rate it will take me a month to finish the job and then work on creating a bedroom in the back part of the basement. Penny is really happy how the room is turning out, she just will have to be patient but she knows that. She can paint more of the walls while I work on the moulding. Good thing I have inside work to do as it is brisk outside. I hope it warms up a bit for another week or two.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Comment

Just a quick hi, but I'll try and get back later today. I just wanted to make sure I said "THANKS!!" to Mark and all the other Vets (and actives too of course!). Your sacrifices have blessed us with this wonderful country, thank you.
      -Fused L3-S1 (3 surgeries, last one 1-12-11)
      -4 Surgeries for infections, last one 2-15-11
      -T-spine 11-12 cyst, 7-8 deformity, DDD throughout, and stenosis at several levels

Comment

Hi Everyone! Sorry for not checking in but by the end of the day I usually fall asleep exhausted!

Not sure where to begin to catch up with everyone. Feel like I have missed so much. Had cervical xrays done a few weeks ago. Went the next day to pick up report. It mentions that I have retrolethesis of the C5 over the C6 and there is a loss of disc height at this level. Well that is strange cause that the level I had fusion on last october. It goes on to mention bone spurring and so many other things to list...just from an xray. It also mentions there is a solid fusion at the C6-7 level. That was re done in 2002 due to a previous failed fusion. So I call xray place and ask if they will please go over films again as I was there to check on fusion of the c5-6 level and there isnt a disc there. She said it wasnt likely that they would. So I sent my films & report w/my friend as she had an appointment friday. Friday evening my surgeon calls and says that I am not completely fused. I said I thought by a years time fusion should be complete. He said yes but we will keep monitoring it. I am only concerned as I have no hardware on this level. My old fusion there is plating & screws. So I guess its a wait and see. Please send some good fusion thoughts. I cannot deal with psuedoarthrosis again. I just cant.

One great thing happened today. I won $100 in the football & cheer raffle!! I never win anything so I was quite happy! The kids are doing well. Taigan has finished cheer and Logan start 2 or possibly 3 basketball teams. If i can find a way to link Taigans cheer fest here I will. Its a 2 minute video. The girls rocked the show & the crowd clapped them on. They were awesome for 6 & 7 yr olds.

Not much else is new..just the usual running. Weather here has gotten way too chilly for my liking!!

Mark I wish u could share pics of the basement. It sounds wonderful! How is Tyrel doing? Has he definetly made up his mind to come home for school? Will he be living with u guys again? Hope your daughter and her family are loving their new home!

Kat snow for you too? It is much too soon for this kind of weather. I cannot wait to move south. That 15 inch snowstorm left us without power for 4 days! The gas alone for the generator was unreal! In NY gas is $3.70 a gallon! That is outrageous! How are you feeling? Sorry to hear about you stroke :(

Mel how are you doing? I am right there with u on hating the pain. Mine has been so awful that I need to ask for something stronger than the norco as it is not cutting it. I just dont know what to ask for? He did increase the neuronton to 300mgs 3x's a day. That has helped but it only helps the nerve part...not the pain. How is the family?

To everyone else that checked in...saying HI to you. I havent had much time to read thru posts.

Ok its after midnight and my right thumb is going numb from typing & thats in my wrist brace...so y guess is carpal tunnel is not the cause for this. Fun stuff, this spiney junk!!
        Hugs to all!! :)
        Last edited by logannamath; 11-11-2011, 09:01 PM.
        ~*~*~*~*~*~
        Brigitte

sigpic

Comment

Also sorry for the edits. I saved the post as I went along so I didnt lose it all again as I usually do when Im on the ipad...lol
          ~*~*~*~*~*~
          Brigitte

sigpic

Comment

Also a huge thank you to all the men & women who served here. Thank you for keeping us safe & fighting for us!! Hugs!!
            Last edited by logannamath; 11-11-2011, 08:59 PM.
            ~*~*~*~*~*~
            Brigitte

sigpic

Comment

Melanie, hi and thanks. My time in the Marines was the most valuable time in my life as far as growing up and learning about myself. Tell your son I said thanks for his service.

Brigette, sorry to hear about your lack of fusion and it makes me wonder how much it contributes to your current troubles. I hope that there is still a chance that you will still fuse even if it is taking its time. I bet your daughter was having a great time cheering especially as good as they were doing. Congratulations on winning the raffle. I will try to have my wife put pictures up for me after we finish with the family room. It will take me several weeks to finish. Tyrel is home but not sure what decision he will make. He enjoyed his freedom at college but knows he can't afford to live on his own if he goes to the community college. He is also talking about the military which I think would be a good move for him as he could save money for college and have several years to figure out what he really wants to do - liberal arts college or a technical college. Megan, Darrin, and Emery are loving their new home and still working on it like we do with our house. They have all the major work done so now they are working on getting the basement arranged so Emery has play area and they can have a sitting area down there. Thanks for the thanks for my service in the Marine Corps.

I had a good day today despite being sleepy and sleeping several times during the day. Overall it was a good day as it warmed up a bit and was nice and sunny during the afternoon. Penny and I cleaned up the basement more and rearranged a few things back in the bedroom area. We also ordered a new box springs and mattress with the points we have earned on the credit card. Right now we just have a twin mattress for Tyrel but the new one is a full size mattress that works with our nice headboard that Megan had when she lived at home.
              1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
              2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Comment

Brigette - Sorry to hear about the lack of fusion at C5/6 and symptoms likely caused by this lack of fusion. The cold weather isn't helping the situation. Congrats on winning the $100. It's always nice to unexpectedly come across some cash.

Mark - yes, you are correct that the she's hard on me. I can only carry her in my left arm due to prior injuries on the right side. The left side is the side that I'm dealing with nerve problems now. The doctor feels the upper neck issue is related to the ulnar nerve situation and is caused by muscles pulling on the upper neck. So, whew, assuming he's correct, I'm not developing a new problem at another spot in the spine.

No more ear infections! We did take her to the doctor as she's still waking us up at 4 AM. We're not sure what's up but we've turned on the light and let her play in the crib this morning. She eventually fell back to sleep.

Comment

Just popping to say 'hi'.....slept all day Fri, not with it today. Like news I've read. Happy weekend. hug, kat
                  TMJ/shoulder/parotid tumor surgery, Scoliosis, Lumbar fusion for Spondylolithesis; now in entire spine. Herniated cervical disc, no surgery, high risk/Vascular Dementia (VaD), Breast Cancer survivor 12 yrs, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis. Rapid transit small bowel/no weight gain, IBS, 'cusp'/Crohns; Diviculosis; myoclonic dystonia. VaD, my 8th yr, causes tia's, seizures, strokes, Parkinson's, Lewy Body Dementia

Comment

Hi Everyone,
                    Was a crazy tiring day here. Took T & her friend to the mall. They were too cute checking out all different girlie accessories & what not. Wore me out but we had fun! They both got a few fancy headbands & some funky hair extention thing. Scariest part is, is that they are only 7!!! LOL!! Im in big trouble later. After thatbwe went to Hobby Lobby to look at fleece as a gf of mine makes no sew blankets with them. have to check out another store for different designs as T didnt love anything.

Yeah I am sure the failed fusion is not helping the pain. I just pray it fuses. I avoid the surgeon like the plague!! I think I will hang out with Mel w/my head in the sand!! LOL! Its a nice place there. For right now I am just ignoring & when I see neurologist thursday I can see what he says. Tell me there is something better than norco though to control the pain?? It does nothing but I cant be a zombie either.

Mark I cant wait to see pics. Get them up when you can. You are smart enough to not to over do it! Make sure you continue that. Logan is 5'8" and in a full size bed too. His twin was way too small. Make the armed services would be good for him! Cant they also take college classes in there and its paid 100%? My gf's son is enlisting and she mentioned that. She also mentioned that the waiting list to get in is like 6-9 months right now. So happy the kids are settled! Emery will love a play area. T has one but its more for storage as she doeant want to play down there alone.

NC, glad to hear no more ear infections...been there, done thay! Its not even close to fun. Have they mentioned tubes for her? T had hers placed at 11 mths & removed at 2 1/2. Of course hers didnt fall out. Most do though. Watch the carrying. I carried T till she was about 6. She still wants me to carry her now....gggrrr! Plus all that carrying does nothing good for neck or back!!

Kat feel better and chat with ya soon!

Off to sleep! All that walking did me in! Night All!!!
                    Last edited by logannamath; 11-12-2011, 06:16 PM.
                    ~*~*~*~*~*~
                    Brigitte

sigpic

Comment

newcervie, boy I remember the sleep deprived days of having a baby in the house. I wondered if we were ever going to get enough sleep again. I sure hope it is a muscle problem and not a new spinal issue.

Kat, sorry you have had a day where you weren't with it. I commonly have those days following a lost day as it seems hard to get myself going again after missing a whole day.

I had a good day today despite feeling tired. Emery and Darrin came over to let Megan have time to rest up as her bronchitis has been hanging on. Emery was playing with grandma while Darrin and I worked on putting up a wall and drywalling it. By them Emery fell asleep on grandma so I went out and got us sandwiches for dinner. Then Emery woke up and she wanted grandpa to carry her around and then sit down holding her. Penny started painting the area that will be the bedroom a pale yellow that looks really nice. By the time Emery and Darrin went home Penny and I were worn out. I hope to get to sleep early tonight.

Comment

Brigitte, it's quite nice down here in the sand. I may sink my whole body in and completely ignore everything!!!
                        I would imagine if your doc is willing to change meds he'll try Percoset first. That seems to be the one they go to after the Norco's quit. After that a lot of docs go to OxyContin and then onto others like morphine (lots of forms of that!), methadone, etc. My brain isn't up to finding the drug file in my head so that's all ya get, lol! Docs have preferences for what and how they give. Some may go straight to a morphine. Just talk to the doc and be honest with how the meds are doing/not doing. Write it down for a couple days. What your pain level was, when you needed meds and what your pain level was AFTER you took it. Might even take your BP when your pain is high to see if it raises too. My PM knows when I'm really in pain, my BP reads around 180/110!!! It freaks them all out.

Mark, I'm sitting here feeling sorry for Megan & Darrin right now. With all that sleeping Emery did in the daytime she is going to be a pill to get to bed tonight! I hope I'm wrong though. Poor Megan really needs to rest so she doesn't get worse!
                        And for the record I know you and Penny are wiped out too, but you don't have a little one keeping you up all night ;)

((((New Cervie))))) I can't imagine having a baby AND CP! You are among the strongest people out there! I had back issues but hadn't had any surgeries when I had my kids. When I finally did have surgery my youngest was 10 so they could do for themselves somewhat.

Hey Kat, how are you hun? Are you still getting visits from Mr Crow? I can't believe you and Brigitte got snow already! YUCK!!!! You can keep it! It's bad enough my son is going through a phase and playing Christmas songs all day! I'm not ready!!!! For snow or Christmas! LOL!!

Well I'm feeling pretty yucky today. TOM is here for the monthly visit. Sure wish he'd go away and leave me alone already, SHEESH! :ambivalence: Saw my PM last week and she upped the frequency of my pain med, every 6 hours instead of every 8. It seems to be helping. But now the fibro is flaring because I had to go off the med, can't afford it. Hopefully I can get it back one day as it really helped.

Have a great weekend
                        -Fused L3-S1 (3 surgeries, last one 1-12-11)
                        -4 Surgeries for infections, last one 2-15-11
                        -T-spine 11-12 cyst, 7-8 deformity, DDD throughout, and stenosis at several levels

Comment

Hello all,
                          For sleeping all of Friday, didn't have much trouble sleeping last night. Talked SO into a bigger electric heater for my bedroom, thank you God. Only problem kitty won't be able to prowl as door will be shut tight so will put up with door scratching for a few nights til she gets idea, thankfuly no fronts claws. Everything else she needs is in bathroom, and will make sure she has 2nd water bowl in there too. She has stool by window if she care to look for moving creatures :) At least won't be freezing my touche' when I get up.

Brig, sorry your fusion hasn't taken, but it might so think positive. I recall getting fitted for a corset, wearing it except to bed, gosh it was tight. My fusion was by using my own pelvic bone. Maybe that's why it's held all these years, had it checked couple months ago, even doc was surprised.

NC, glad your youngster is feeling better; if I recall her age she should be walking? But they all love mama's arms, just switch arms/hips.....we don't want you to hurt yourself anymore than what hurts already, sweety.

Mark, yes, sounds like we both feel 'out of it' after sleeping such a long stretch. Only new change I've noticed that it's easier to get back to sleep next night, not always......some nights are 'roamers'. Probably said that before.

Last two weekends SO's been bringing work home so our new laptop has come in very handy plus he gets OT pay, more on Sundays. He's really working for two companies so it's double the work.....and end of year stuff isn't even here yet, just getting started. He has one title, one job, but everything gets thrown his way as he's only one who knows how to do it. They've brought in someone supposed to take his position in couple yrs if/when he retires but this guy's not really paying any attention/doesn't care. SO doesn't care, he can't keep an eye on him if he's paying attention or not, SO's got to get HIS work done, plus oversee another company in another state.

I feel badly for SO having so much work piled on him, the pain he bears, hard to breathe.......geez back to non uplifting talk again.

I do know I'm so very happy that things are going a little better for everyone and their families......hope I read everyone post right

I usually ask a ? but usually noone responds so I'll try again....I get an Auto-Saved (in yellow).....just BT saying they're saving it? for posterity My scroll bar keeps jumping all on it's own too, hard to get it back to my last sentence.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............

Just got done with a burst of rain and hail, and the sun behind us<G>LOL Time to go, hopefully a more cheerful post next time..........love to all of you, enjoy your Sunday........kat
                          TMJ/shoulder/parotid tumor surgery, Scoliosis, Lumbar fusion for Spondylolithesis; now in entire spine. Herniated cervical disc, no surgery, high risk/Vascular Dementia (VaD), Breast Cancer survivor 12 yrs, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis. Rapid transit small bowel/no weight gain, IBS, 'cusp'/Crohns; Diviculosis; myoclonic dystonia. VaD, my 8th yr, causes tia's, seizures, strokes, Parkinson's, Lewy Body Dementia

Comment

Someone asked if my 'bird' had come back........sorry to say 'no' :(......he may have been circling but not landing on railing as in past :(

Big Joe, how are you doing?

Hugs to all, kat :)

Comment

Kat, my lost days have changed too. I don't have many of the coma type sleep where I am completely out of it for 36 hours. I am now sleeping 24 hours or so but I wake up several times to take care of "business" and get something to drink once in a while even something to eat. These days let me get going sooner once they are over although mentally it is a fog. Sad to hear SO has so much work to do for the companies without much help. I hope the bigger heater keeps you warmer this winter.

Melanie, sorry to hear you are feeling so yucky, knowing it comes each month doesn't make it any easier to take. Emery didn't sleep very long and she was tired leaving our house so I know she got to sleep shortly after getting home. Penny and I were wore out from the remodeling not from Emery. She is a cutie that just picks our spirits up when she is here.

Made a big stride today on the remodeling. I rented a nail gun for concrete and put in the nailers around the room so I can start putting up the moulding. I was alble to get all the moulding up around the perimeter so now I will be working on the raised panels that go inside the perimeter moulding. We have cleaned up the best we can for the appraiser coming tomorrow. We are refinancing our mortgage and compiling some debt with the end result is our house payments will be the same each month but we will elimiate a big debt and be down to one credit card. I am trying to get our financial house in order as disability really created a problem because our income dropped by 60% and moving we had to spend some money getting the house up to code for electrical, plumbing, and heating/AC. With this move we will have our house paid off 5 years before Penny retires and be in good shape once we are both retired.

Comment

Hi all

Reading that post by Melanie about sand makes me jealous!! I hate cold weather and all we seem to have here is overcast days.

Mark, glad to hear you are getting along on the remodeling. I'm having a hard time just THINKING about doing any kind of work. I finally went driving two different days, but the starting and stopping the car is too uncomfortable. Also started a walking regime on my street and I think it was a bit too much. I keep reading that walking is really good for healing....BUNK!! lol

Question for any of you that had spinal surgery: Is it normal to feel alot of "burning" in your back/neck 2 weeks after the surgery? It is getting painful for me, but heat packs tend to ease most of it and muscle relaxants get me to sleep.

Has anyone heard how Joe is doing? Been missing his posts.
                                2011 ACDF levels 3-7

Comment

Working...
                                X