Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Party room- a place for fun, pity, commiserating, or any other thing you come up with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logannamath - the shot would have been put into the scalenes at the base of the neck. It relieves the nerve pain for my ulnar nerve issues. I've had shots in the neck for nerve compression arising from C5/6. Due to the different distributions, I know which area is acting up. Where is the severe burning in your right hand? I've had lots of "experience" with the ulnar nerve due to separate injuries to both shoulders.

Comment

Hi Cervie,
      It is burning between the middle and ring finger. There is numbness through the thumb. The pinkie is the only thing not affected. Plus where it burns feels very painful to move those fingers come morning......such fun stuff!
      ~*~*~*~*~*~
      Brigitte

sigpic

Comment

This has been a weekend of the most gorgeous fall weather! Although I didn't spend much time in it yesterday because I was trying to rest up for today. Dh's company had a thing at the zoo today. Plus the zoo was having it's 'Boo at the Zoo' deal so we got to see tons of little cuties in even cuter costumes :) It was alot of fun. Plus I got to meet some of dh's coworkers. But the best were the animals. The weather was perfect for their activity. Just about all of them were really putting on a show today. Especially one of the polar bears. He was diving and swimming and having a good old time! The other was off to the side ignoring everything, lol.

Mark, be careful doing that flooring ok. We don't need you joining in the surgery train this year!

Brigitte, get that x-ray ok, don't put it off! (says the one who has been putting off a blood test all freaking year) My PM was talking about sending me for some tests on my neck and hands but I told her not now ;) I'm not ready to hear my neck has joined the rest of the gang. And I'm not ready for carpal tunnel surgery either. I'll just live here in Happy Land and all will be well

Hey NewCervie, how are you doing these days?

Kat? Hope you are ok hun.

Big Joe, I posted on your thread but just wanted to say how happy I am things are going well, in here too.

((((HUGS))))
        -Fused L3-S1 (3 surgeries, last one 1-12-11)
        -4 Surgeries for infections, last one 2-15-11
        -T-spine 11-12 cyst, 7-8 deformity, DDD throughout, and stenosis at several levels

Comment

Melanie, sounds like you had a fun day at the zoo. Don't worry, the hard part of the flooring has been done and putting it down will be easy just take a week or two to finish. It was beautiful weather here too. Of course I didn't get to enjoy much yesterday as it was a sleepy day despite not really sleeping.

Brigitte, sorry to hear about the increased pain and weakness. I hope you find a treatment that improves things without surgery. Tyrel likes school but the dorms are noisy and he is having a hard time sleeping so morning classes are tought to get to. I hope he figures out he just has tough it out and gets top class every day. Other than early classes he is enjoying it.

I didn't get much sleep as I didn't sleep last night and just had a short nap this morning so I hope to sleep tonight. It was another beautiful day today but we were disappointed the flooring didn't get delivered so I hope it comes tomorrow. I got my injection today and am starting up my thyroid medicine again as clearly I don't have the energy I want without it. I hope everyone had a good day today.
          1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
          2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Comment

Brigette - That pain sounds bad. I hope you get it looked at soon.

Melanie - We're doing good. Kids are healthy as can be given it's fall/winter. I'm getting ready for my next GI test as they continue ordering tests to try to rule out other possible problems besides a failing gallbladder. I've been against surgery until I had another episode last week. The 'Boo at the Zoo sounds fun. I saw an advertisement for our zoo's Zoo Boo but we didn't make it.

We carved pumpkins for Halloween yesterday.

Comment

Melanie,...I had to copy/paste, so much to try and remember so this is from one of your posts Melanie..But onto happier news! My Marine and dil got full custody of my grandson today He's been with them since he was born last month and my dil tells me my son has stepped into fatherhood whole heartedly! Even surprised her. I've been fighting exhaustion and an increase in pain. I initially thought it was my normal hormonal flucuations but it's dragged on much longer than they normally would so I'm thinking this might be my new norm. I just saw my PM last week so I have to wait 3 more to see her again. I did mention some problems with my hands & neck but I backed out of tests at this point. Mel you also mentioned your Marine headed back to Afgan......just my opnion as not up on so many wars; think this only one left. Get er done, bring our boys home. SO said it's hard as so many caves. Let them stay in their caves, altho know it goes deeper then that. Not making joke. Hope you feel better soon hon. May your Marine stay very safe. And CONGRATULATIONS TO NEW PARENTS!!!!

Mark if you're not working on one house you're working on yours and it's high time to do what you want to get done in your digs. It'll be a masterpiece when all is said and done!

Big Joe, didn't get to your post yet; praying all went well and you have a speedy recovery. Please don't overdo....I recall when I had surgery, thought I was mighty mite..NOT. So don't get any wild ideas<G>

SO described our symptoms to his blood dr, said we both had the flu. Mine hasn't given up ghost yet; right on time for Halloween. Just to look at me I could scare anyone<G> Hate to get on scale as I did lots of sleeping last 3 weeks, had fever. Didn't get a lot of food in me but trying to make up for it now altho have no appetite. Have to be careful as guts been terrible.

Pain level gone down a bit but fibro lurking yet; just won't let go. No energy yet, have to work into that with small reg. chores here. Just typing all this is tiring, need a nap but know I'll never get up.......can't do that as we have pellets and some guys from work are going to haul them thru basement patio doors for us. They never realized what was all wrong with SO until one day one of them asked. So great of them to do this for us.

Steve/Kim/family here Saturday, hung a storm door in front door. Glad he was feeling good enough to do it.

Mark, have great time with family tonight.

Prayers for all of you continue. You're all a bright spot in my day when I get here, if I get here :) hugs/luv to all, kat <G>

Sorry if I missed anyone but know you're in my thoughts and prayers......I'm done for today........
              TMJ/shoulder/parotid tumor surgery, Scoliosis, Lumbar fusion for Spondylolithesis; now in entire spine. Herniated cervical disc, no surgery, high risk/Vascular Dementia (VaD), Breast Cancer survivor 12 yrs, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis. Rapid transit small bowel/no weight gain, IBS, 'cusp'/Crohns; Diviculosis; myoclonic dystonia. VaD, my 8th yr, causes tia's, seizures, strokes, Parkinson's, Lewy Body Dementia

Comment

Kat, I'm so glad you have people there to help you and SO with the heavy stuff. The world would be a better place if we just started helping each other! Especially the way this economy is going, neighbors are gonna need to rely on each other like they used to!
                Hope you feel better soon hun.

NewCervie, thanks for reminding me to cut the pumpkins! I'll tell dh cuz he'll remember ;) We'll do it tomorrow while it's still warm, cuz after that the cold and rain come back Sorry to hear another surgery might be in your future. I've never had gallbladder issues but know those who have and wouldn't trade places for nothing!! Never realized how painful that can be until I watched a nurse I worked with long ago sit in tears waiting for an ambulance. (((HUGS)))

Mark, I hope your flooring finally came. I hate waiting on deliveries. Even though I don't have anywhere to be, I still hate the fact that I COULDN'T go anywhere, lol! I also hope you got some sleep.

I spent the day making collages for some focus group I'm going to tomorrow. It was fun but it seriously aggravated the arthritis in my hands, especially the thumbs :( I swear I'm going try some of those compression arthritis gloves. I don't know if they would work but it sounds like it might, and anything to help would be good!
                -Fused L3-S1 (3 surgeries, last one 1-12-11)
                -4 Surgeries for infections, last one 2-15-11
                -T-spine 11-12 cyst, 7-8 deformity, DDD throughout, and stenosis at several levels

Comment

Melanie, the flooring came in today and it wasn't as big a bundle as I was picturing. It is 18 boxes and even though they are 3' long they aren't very thick. I put a few down temporarily so Penny could decide on wall colors and it is so easy to do it won't be any problem for me. The main floor should get done in 30 minutes and then it will be days of 20 minutes here and 20 minutes there doing the cuts and trim work. Sorry to hear the craft work caused you so much hand pain. I think I would try the gloves and see how much relief they provide. You are right that it will be nice if people help each other out more once again.

Kat, too bad that the flu is sticking around so long. You have had it bad the past few days and it isn't easy when you feel bad and have no energy. Glad Steve could put the storm door up for the two of you. Keep those pain levels down and don't let the fibro get too bad. It will be nice finishing the basement this coming year. The kids commented on us doing the work and I said we had to wait until you moved out to have room so we could shift furniture from one room to another. It will be nice as family that visits will have a suite to stay in with privacy for them.

newcervie, a GI test doesn't sound fun but it is good you are having it done to be sure it is your gall bladder. Carving pumpkins sounds fun, we haven't done that since the kids were younger. I remember getting some intricate patterns a couple of years and doing some really nice carvings but other years doing basic carving.

Today was a sleepy day as I didn't sleep last night. The flooring came in and I did get a small section put down so Penny could decide on paint colors which she did. I will wait on the flooring until after the painting is done. I will do an get the paint today and get started on the painting. I enjoy doing this work but it is a bit discouraging that it takes me so long any more since I can only work for 30 minutes at a time and usually only every other day. But I am thankful I can still do this much even if it takes way too long.
                  1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
                  2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Comment

The GI test wasn't as bad as I thought it would be although I did "wake up" during the test. They give you conscious sedation but I guess mine wore off earlier than expected as I became aware of what was going on. I couldn't talk given they were scoping the upper GI tract. I was alert for a few minutes, next thing I know I'm in recovery so they must have given me a little more medication.

Melanie - Regarding the gallbladder pain, the nurse likely had gallstones which is quite common. I've heard they're extremely painful. I know the pain from kidney stones or gallstones is excruciating. Thankfully, I'm atypical in that I have the characteristic itch of liver/gallbladder problems but don't have the gallstones. My nerve pain is definitely worse than the abdominal pain I've experienced so far.

Comment

Newcervie, glad to hear the GI test wasn't too bad although waking up during the procedure couldn't have been much fun. I hope the test help them determeine the cause of your troubles.

We have been busy painting the basement family room this evening. We are going with a dark brown and a deep red that is almost brown for the lower half of the wall. Maybe we will be far enough along that Darrin and I can work on the floor Saturday. Of course I don't really have a schedule as my body determines my schedule so no matter what I plan it is all subject to change. We continue to have warm temps but it was a very rainy day today. I really was in a lot of pain today at least until 3 PM. I hope to have a good night sleep and gety the pain under control.

Comment

Just checking in

I've been with Brain Talk since 1997, and glad that it's still around. It's been six years since my last spine surgery, and on the actual anniversary of that surgery I return to Dr. Regan to see what the CT scan shows. For the past two years I've had a new kind of excrutiating pain that comes and goes depending on positioning or walking more than 5 minutes or sitting more than 1/2 hour. I have not taken any pain pills for almost the whole six years. But now I find myself researching issues with facets and SI joints.

Hello to all the old crowd, and to some new names I don't recognize.

Comment

Hey Mark... your story reminds me of us. I was still in the wheelchair when we took all the carpet out of our house, put ceramic tile in the master bath and kitchen as well as new cabinets. We put vinyl tile in the two small bedrooms and small bathroom. The Master bedroom, Living room and Dining room got hard wood floors. We built a couple closets, a pantry in the kitchen, and took out the old fireplace that took so much room right out of the living room and installed a corner unit. This was all done with minimal help while in the wheelchair. The hardwood flooring was all done by my wife and me. I got out of the chair, on the floor, and did all the floor work. My wife took the boards after I marked and measured and did the work on the table saw. She brought them back and I installed them.

I forgot to mention we replumbed a good share of the house at the same time so everything would work with the wheelchair. It was a real big project and I cannot believe we were able to accomplish all this. When we got done my wife put wallpaper in much of the house and repainted the rest. I can appreciate what you are doing. It did take a long while to get it all done, but we did it. Part of the reason we did it ourselves was because we would ask the kids to help and they were always too busy. They could have gotten it done in a fraction of the time, but we showed them two old goats with a lot of determination could do it too. It was pretty good inspiration. I would not recommend anyone else doing all that, but it was a fun project which we still enjoy.

Comment

I'm sad to read that so many of you, if not all, are having so much pain. I know in some situations it's very hard but try to set time aside for yourselves to rest more.............ha. Some of you are not well but keep on keepin' on; I admire all of you so very much.

Watched my mom die, also nurse gave us a book called "Death and Dying"...what to look for during the process and she followed each step; so unusual to read and see it happening to her. Certain aspects made it a good experience.

Not sure but think those experiences are now happening to me but at a slower pace? Some things are slowly shutting down, slowing down. Hard subject to deal with......but I'm ready, mom was ready altho she had no knowledge of the book we were given. Every relative should be given this book when their loved one is close to passing. Just another way of the family not being scared. At this point the patient usually doesn't know what going on as sedated with some pain med to keep them comfy, free from pain.

No energy for anything, sometimes can't keep food down, or it comes rushing out other end and don't even feel it; thank God (yes, God THANK YOU) that these mishaps have been at home. This happened to mom the night before she died.

Have to stop, pain is huge, very tired. Hope to get back, post as often as I can; know I love you all......AMEN.....kat
                            TMJ/shoulder/parotid tumor surgery, Scoliosis, Lumbar fusion for Spondylolithesis; now in entire spine. Herniated cervical disc, no surgery, high risk/Vascular Dementia (VaD), Breast Cancer survivor 12 yrs, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis. Rapid transit small bowel/no weight gain, IBS, 'cusp'/Crohns; Diviculosis; myoclonic dystonia. VaD, my 8th yr, causes tia's, seizures, strokes, Parkinson's, Lewy Body Dementia

Comment

Kat, it is good you had that book so you were prepared for what would happen with your mom. My daughter is getting that education working at the nursing home. She talks about how they can tell when a resident will die within a day or two. Personally I think our society has tried to ignore death instead of accepting it as part of our lives. It is hard to see some of the signs in yourself but it is good to hear you are ready. I have tried to prepare my family because I will not pursue any heroic efforts to fight cancer or some other disease that is fatal. As I tell them, do they really want to see me suffer one day longer than I need to suffer. I am excited about each day I have so I don't want it to end any time soon. Keep hanging in there and do the best you can. Enjoy your Packers as they are having a great year as are the Badgers.

Big Joe, we do have similar stories but I have to say you did much more than I have. I have done a lot but you put me to shame. It is fun to work with my wife and have something good at the end. I think it brings us closer together and it sounds like you and your wfe are a good team.

CQ, glad you had six good years but it is a shame you are in so much pain now. I hope you find a treatment that gets your pain back under control. I use opiates, Big Joe has just had another surgery, Brigette and Melanie are a year out from surgery, and we have several loking at surgery so there are many approaches to relief. Welcome to the room and I hope you come around and visit.

I slept during the day yesterday since I didn't sleep the night before. I was able to get a nap in last night so I hope to sleep tonight. We have 2/3 of the basement painted so maybe we can finish this evening and the flooring can go down this weekend. It has gotten much cooler so the trick or treaters will have a nip in the air to deal with. Our downtown merchants are having their witch's walk tonight so Emery is going to walk around and then come and visit grandma and grandpa.

Comment

Hi Everyone! Just a quick note to say im alive! Today was so super crazy! I didnt have a minute to myself or to sit down..pain levels definetly on thhe rise! It also does not help that we have a major storm on the way! Who would have thougt it possible to get 10-15 inches of snow???? I am not looking forward to this! Hoping it bypasses all of you! Going to crash now...just physically & emotionally exhausted. Have to tell you all about my xray this week, when I get time to type. Stay safe & warm!!!
                                Last edited by logannamath; 10-28-2011, 05:41 PM.
                                ~*~*~*~*~*~
                                Brigitte

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X