Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Party room- a place for fun, pity, commiserating, or any other thing you come up with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone,
    Brigitte the lines at wal-mart sound like typical behavior anytime they mention hurricane down here. What kills me is folks buying stuff they know will spoil when the power goes out. I hope your don't have too much trouble from it.

My husband has been in the hospital a lot this month and last week I guess I picked up bug on one of our trips. I have been sick as a dog. Hacking coughs & spinal problems don't mix well at all. The sad thing was I just finished up a round of PT last Fri trying to get the muscles around my torso to loosen up....talk about undoing progress fast.

I have given up on normal sleep. I don't even try to go to sleep till about 4am and I'm up by 7am. It wouldn't be so bad if I was actually productive but nope lol. Hope you all have a good weekend & those in the path of Irene stay safe
    Karen

Comment

I talked to the Marine earlier and they are all good, but lost power about 5am. He said some limbs were down around there place but nothing was hit. They don't live on the base so I don't know how bad it was hit.

Mark, I'm glad you are feeling better. I'm the kind that could do chicken & noodles all the time, sick or not. Drove my mom crazy cuz she hated the stuff!

Brigitte, what a mess to come home too! Makes ya wanna turn back around and vacation some more huh ;) Stay safe!!

I'd type more but I'm having trouble with my hands going numb :( Yea, I know....I'm falling apart. Still not gonna let 'em look at my neck though! Told my PM that the other day too, she laughed, she knows :)

(((HUGS)))
      -Fused L3-S1 (3 surgeries, last one 1-12-11)
      -4 Surgeries for infections, last one 2-15-11
      -T-spine 11-12 cyst, 7-8 deformity, DDD throughout, and stenosis at several levels

Comment

Hi all,

Another beautiful day. Brigitte, are you driving from one hurricane state into another? your home state? Then driving all the way up the coast.....I'm sure you drove inland to avoid it all. Sure hope it left your house etc. alone.

Did some cleaning Friday, wound up sleeping Saturday......hello Sunday!! Hit pain pills first thing.

Don't see anything on agenda for today; SO trying to put new laptop together. He's not feeling any too spritly either like he's getting a cold, hard to breathe, had bad night of breathing even with CPAP.

Better next week I hope.......glad you're all doing well......keep it going! hugs, kat
        TMJ/shoulder/parotid tumor surgery, Scoliosis, Lumbar fusion for Spondylolithesis; now in entire spine. Herniated cervical disc, no surgery, high risk/Vascular Dementia (VaD), Breast Cancer survivor 12 yrs, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis. Rapid transit small bowel/no weight gain, IBS, 'cusp'/Crohns; Diviculosis; myoclonic dystonia. VaD, my 8th yr, causes tia's, seizures, strokes, Parkinson's, Lewy Body Dementia

Comment

Karen, good to see you in the room again. Sorry to hear hubby has been in the hospital so much and that you have caught the bug. I hope you are able to get back into the PT soon and recover the improvement you had before.

Melanie, good to hear you talked to your Marine and all was well. It is a shame that our spines keep declining but something is causing your hand problems.

Kat your weekend sounds like mine, sleep Saturday and awake on Sunday. With your SO sick it seems that this bug is going all around the Midwest.

I finally had a day that I could be awake. I haven't felt very good but it was nice to not sleep the day away. I did talk to Tyrel and he is doing well at college. Megan had to work this weekend so no Emery this week but I did get to see a video of her on FB. It is good to see everyone and to see Karen is back.
          1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
          2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Comment

I am still awake despite needing to sleep. This is one of those nights that I will finally drop off but not soon enough. I think I will go off to the island and sit out on the beach under the moon, watch and listen to the surf come in. Guido, please bring me a big ice cold Coke and some shrimp off the barbie -as our Aussie friends would say. Also crack open the humidor and get me a mild smooth cigar.
            1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
            2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Comment

I hope Guido took good care of you Mark :) And that you snuck in at least a few hours of snoozing. I haven't been sleeping to great myself lately. I'm sleeping but it's not quality. I think that's why I'm not feeling so hot today.

We're having MY kind of weather right now, high in the upper 70's, low in the low 60's :)

(((HUGS)))
              -T-spine 11-12 cyst, 7-8 deformity, DDD throughout, and stenosis at several levels

Comment

Melanie, I did get in a couple hours of sleep but not nearly enough. Emery and her dad came over for dinner. Emery wanted to sit on my lap to eat so of course I had to let her:). We went for a walk and she was her usual adorable self. She kept seeing small silver cars and say momma but we had to tell her momma was working. Penny got home from her PT session and ate dinner, we ate our's earlier, while Emery and I shared raisins. When Emery couldn't reach in the box and get more raisins she went over to Penny and took her fork, came back and dug out more raisins from the box. Darrin wanted to take another walk since Penny was home so off we went. Part of the way through Emery walks in front of me with her hand held out in front as if to say halt. Then she held her arms up for me to carry her. I carried her for a bit then passed her over to her dad and he carried her home. We tuckered her out so much she couldn't walk the rest of the way home. I called Megan when she got home from work to tell her about Emery's exploits and she said Emery was wiped out, so is grandpa.
                I did see my doctor today so tomorrow I need to go in and get a blood test and he is increasing my testosterone injections but we will see what the levels are and adjust it from there.
                Last edited by Mark N; 08-30-2011, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Hello all,

Mentioned SO was going to put laptop together..........nope. But he's still sick; seems to be fighting it off well himself. Thank God he's smart enough to see doc when conditions warrant it.

Sounds like we're all having trouble sleeping.......all in or all out

After cleaning just one room, awoke with semi continuously riding over me, back/forth, back/forth. Odd how they can do it when up****ing around too Think a lot of fibro mixed in. As with all of you, sleep has been eluding me unless it's an all dayer.

Some leaves are turning colors around here, no maples yet, just the yellow colors. Hummers are still around, and we still have a few more pickles on the vine.

Other then that, no news that I can recall..........Hope you're all doing well, your pain better, and we all sleep deeply tonight!!! hugs, kat
                  TMJ/shoulder/parotid tumor surgery, Scoliosis, Lumbar fusion for Spondylolithesis; now in entire spine. Herniated cervical disc, no surgery, high risk/Vascular Dementia (VaD), Breast Cancer survivor 12 yrs, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis. Rapid transit small bowel/no weight gain, IBS, 'cusp'/Crohns; Diviculosis; myoclonic dystonia. VaD, my 8th yr, causes tia's, seizures, strokes, Parkinson's, Lewy Body Dementia

Comment

I slept most of the day until late this afternoon. I hope it is just a case of catching up on some sleep and I get to sleep tonight. Kat sounds like you need to be taking it easy and not doing anything that finds you out of it and waking up to who knows what. It is interesting the colors are changing up there as our temps have moderated and the sun's path looks like Fall.

My brother, the one with cancer and blind from it, has moved back home with my mom. He has needed to move back so he could have someone to care for him and help him out. I will be going up early next week and make sure everything is okay with the set up. I have talked to my mom and my brother so I think there is no problem. My mom was working caring for a 95 year old woman and she may quit that job to stay home with my brother.
                    Things here at home are good other than Penny struggling with her face pain. She is hurting a lot from PT and I am trying to help her take control of the sessions so there isn't unbearable pain.
                    Last edited by Mark N; 09-01-2011, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Joining the club Mark......sleep day yesterday. Fibro pain has been terriible which it always is for anyone who has it knows. Thought staying in bed would help, didn't. At least so far headace is gone.

Starting to lose things or did I say that already. Helped SO bring in groceries, said he was missing a bag with powder and cologne and I brought it in. Said you (SO) always want stuff on counter so that's where I put them. Was in plastic bag like all the others.........don't know if same or next day but I put it in the garbage. Next time something goes missing will look there first

I've got a kitty who just finished off an entire can of food, sitting here meowing wanting more food. And I'm just opposite, hard to find food I like to eat. No appetite. I've lost about 5 lbs, trying Ensure. Strawberry not very tasty, Vanilla best so far. Great thing to take esp in a.m. with meds/vities.

We're having a short streak of hot, humid weather which should clear out by Sunday/Monday. We've had either downpours or hot/humid holidays. If sun is out can't complain!! Hope it's out by you and you have a wonderful holiday! hugs, kat

Comment

Hi Kat, putting things in the garbage instead of the counter huh. You have to watch and make sure the garbage doesn't get up in the fridge:). Your weather sounds like ours as it has turned warm here too. Ensure is a good way to keep up your nutrition when you don't eat very well. I have used it when I am sleeping most of the time and unable to fix something to eat.

Not much going on today other than being awake and doing an add chore here and there. I did get out and get a hair cut. The Dr office called and said my testosterone was back down to 87. My dr cut back on it because I had gotten up to 1100 3 weeks ago. He is putting me back on weekly injections and we will test again next month before adjusting my doses. It is no wonder I had no energy last week and slept so much. I hope everyone is having a good day.

Comment

New to board

Hi. About 6 or 7 years ago I was on the old boards and then kind of dropped off. I thought that I would dropiin again. Seven years ago I had a three level cervical foraminectomy without fusion. It definitely solved my problem with increasing loss of control of the fingers. The neurosurgeon said that a huge spur was compressing the nerve that controlled my motor
                          control to the fingers/hand. If I had waited much longer I would have had permanent nerve damage. I have had lower back pain for about 25 years due to a ruptured disc L L-5 level. An MRI showed that there is no disc left, just powdery residue. I have learned to avoid certain activities****ements. Most of the time, the pain there is at a three or so. I have become so used to the low level pain that it is background noise. The occasional flareups are another story. I still have cervical osteoarthritis. When the foraminectomy was done, the doctor warned me not to allow anyone to fuse me because the surrounding levels were not wonderful looking and I would end up with the domino effect and become disabled. When the neck pain gets real bad, I go back for PT which used to help. I just had radiofrequency ablation on Monday. The results of the
                          diagnostic block indicated that I am a good candidate for the procedure. The doctor did 3 levels on my left side. If I get good pain relief, then the left side will be done. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I am putting off bilateral knee replacements as long as possible and had successful flat foot surgery a year ago.

I live with my husband, 22 year old son (in school and works) and three large rescue dogs. I work full time. My husband andI recently joined a local Y so I could start swimming which is easy on the joints, good cardio workout and stress reducing.
                          Last edited by Roxygirl56; 09-01-2011, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Roxygirl, it is good to see you visiting the room as we enjoy having new members, although not new to the board, join in. I hope the diagnostic test shows the nerve block will help so that you can go back and have some longer relief. I know many people get a lot of relief from the block and it can last for several months to a year. You mention being used to the pain as it just becomes background noise and I was thinking about that the other day. If someone ask me about my pain it is usually a 5 -7 with a few bad days in the 8 range, I don't think too much about it because it is background noise unless I focus on it. It is amazing to me the power our minds have to control our bodies and its feelings.

I am still awake tonight and I hope to get to sleep soon as I didn't sleep last night and I stayed up all day today. Of course the day before I slept all night and through the day until around 3 PM. I hope feeling sleepy means I will be asleep soon. College football started tonight and it was fun seeing the games again. Plenty more tomorrow and Saturday.

Comment

Background noise, that fits it perfectly!! I'll have to remember that one. People always want to know how I live with so much pain, usually I tell them something along the lines of "I have no other choice!" But I like background noise, it fits our everyday pain that's for sure.

Roxy it's nice to see you in here. I do remember your name from the old boards but forgive me, I don't remember anything else.

Kat, try keeping the Ensure in the fridge. I've given lots ot people Ensure over the years and they have all said it's better cold. Just an idea. Or maybe you could dump a can out into a big glass and use some of that Hershey Syrup to add more flavor! They have chocolate, cherry, chocolate malt and other flavors. Might be worth a shot.

I got really sick on Tuesday, which is why I haven't been in. Woke up feeling horrible. I won't go into details but let's just say the only think that was kept down was me!

Take care everyone and enjoy the long weekend!

Comment

Welcome to the room Roxygirl; love having newcomers; hope you bounce in on occasion or stay all the time.

Really don't have much to say except didn't get much sleep last night after sleeping day before. Got up about 3a.m., had stroke; legs went out from under me; luckily had cane; helped me back in bed, that's where I stayed, finally fell asleep until noon.........still wanted to sleep. You know Mark how hard it is trying to stay awake when you desparately want to crawl back into bed.......which I could do. SO's home, give him 1/2 hr, betcha he naps too, still fighting that cold; not as bad as it could be. Couple of guys got sick from that ND trip; guess they wanted to spread it around for those who couldn't make it.....:o shame on me

SO just layed down......which is proper - laid/layed???? Too many years out of college :o I ask the ? but really don't care. Just one of those days. Pain has been lasting too long which I can usually fight, get thru. But then on top of that in a choking mode; just little spit goes down wrong way; have to be very careful eating as throat muscles spasm, food tries to go into lung which would not be fird time. Just keep coughing until it comes up; everything hurts worse but better to hurt than be in hospital. Not myself today, think I slept all day yesterday...my mind is very mixed up today; don't like what's happening to me......SO mentioned assisted living!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I'm headed for 'the room' for just a nap, I hope. Have a great holiday!! hugs, kat
                                Last edited by puddykat; 09-02-2011, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X