Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complex Partial Seizures & Wandering

Distinguished Community Member

Default Complex Partial Seizures & Wandering

Hi Folks,

As most of you know I have absence, aura, and complex partial sz. When I have a complex partial sz. I will often wander around and not realize it until I come out of the sz. Do any of you know what it is that makes
    a person wander around during a cp sz. like that? I will be at home or at work and often when I come out of the sz. I will find myself in a different location and I don't remember walking to that area at all. The sz. just hits me
    and I don't even realize I've had a cp sz. until it's all over. I can't stand this wandering around and I never really could find out what makes me do this. Thanks for your time and help. May God Bless You!

Sue

Smile Wandering

Hi Sue!

I find myself sometimes wandering around only in mall's or strores! no where else though! and this is the only time I really lose track of time for some odd reason! probably cause of so many people and i'm so confused and at that point sometimes It's hard to say if you would ask me if I would know where I was at? Thats my Experience! Regards Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your response. I also lose track of time and I find that I wander around more at work than I do at home. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Distinguished Community Member howdydave's Avatar

The only times I wandered was when I was walking at the time.

Walking home from work in Milwaukee, I came out of my post ictal state and found myself 15 blocks away from where I started and walking in the opposite direction!

I crossed intersections and everything without any apparant problems.
    Last edited by howdydave; 12-05-2011 at 05:05 AM.
    Dave
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com

Howdy Dave,

This is what happens to me I will go from one place to another with no problems but I don't remember a thing. What I'm trying to figure out is what is it that's making me wander around during a cp sz. but with
    the rest of my sz. I don't do this. Thanks for your time and help. May God Bless You!

Sue

Distinguished Community Member howdydave's Avatar

My guess would be that CPs are the only seizure types that involve automitisms.
    The classic example usually given is the act of chewing (which I have never done.)
    I usually end up picking at a button on my shirt (third button down.)

In the case under discussion, the automitism would be walking around.

If automitism is involved in other seizure types, please inform.
    Last edited by howdydave; 12-05-2011 at 05:11 AM.
    Dave
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com

Default Interesting question.

When my husband had CPs (before his surgery), he would sometimes wander. In fact this is what really got his neurologist's attention: he once came out of a CP soaking wet, having fallen into the outdoor pool where he was working and apparently gotten himself out. It gives me cold chills to think he could have died from that one.

But I agree: I don't know what causes the wandering.

Rabbit

Howdy Dave,
    I have been told by my family that before I blank out of the CP sz. I'm always smacking my lips and blinking my eyes very fast this might be the automitisms. I know when I have an absence sz. I will also continue to walk around and talk
    to others I just don't remember. The only difference is during a cp sz. I will wander around walking out of the classroom with students and I never tell the teacher where I'm going but during an absence sz. most of the time I stay in the classroom
    and if I leave the room I will tell the teacher where I'm going . I'm a wierd case. Thanks for your time and help. May God Bless You!

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by howdydave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My guess would be that CPs are the only seizure types that involve automitisms.
    The classic example usually given is the act of chewing (which I have never done.)
    I usually end up picking at a button on my shirt (third button down.)

In the case under discussion, the automitism would be walking around.

If automitism is involved in other seizure types, please inform.

Hi Rabbit,
    Each time I've had a CP sz. I've never fallen or put myself in danger when I'm wandering around . I'm greatful that your husband didn't pass away when he went into the pool. I wish the both of you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

My very first CP was walking around. That got me diagnosed as I had Simple Partials before that first one. I continued to walk while unconscious as a part of my CP off and on throughout. I have walked in one mall in Atlanta and sleep walked waking in places I had not been before retiring. To me, those are automatisms or nonpurposeful movement associated with CP. When the sleep walking started, it was later in my epilepsy history and was a change. I also have never injured myself in any "walkabout" lol nor sleep walking episode. Tattoo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast