Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting that old nervous feeling-again!

Default Getting that old nervous feeling-again!

I will be heading back to see Dr. S next week. We know that at this point, patches won't fix my leaks, but I am having surgery with a fairly new procedure. While I feel more hopeful and optimistic than I have in a really long time, I find myself feeling really scared about going through all of it again. This will be my 7th surgery in 2.5 yrs and I feel like I am having PreTraumaticStressDisorder-instead of posttraumatic! I think I am just looking for some words of wisdom and support so that I can get my mind right, before next week. Thanks everyone!

Community Member

Dear TXCINDA,

I think being scared and anxious before a surgery or other procedure is normal. Keep in mind that your surgery is being done by a world-class surgeon, who is generally regarded as the best, most experienced surgeon for these medical conditions, and someone in whom you have trust and confidence. Also, this surgeon knows you. So you are in excellent hands. The fact that your surgery is a fairly new procedure is a great reason to feel that the results of prior surgeries do not indicate that this surgery will have a similar result. You have good reason to feel hopeful and optimistic that this surgery will improve your condition. Know that your friends in this forum are supportive and rooting for your success. Wishing you the best!

LeakingnHissinginPotomac

New Community Member

TXCINDA,
    It makes good sense to me that you are nervous. I likened my second big surgery to going in to have my second baby; I had no illusions, this would be tough. And it was. I think it is great that you are giving this a try. This takes guts! You are trying something new, there is every reason to be hopeful. Please know that you and your medical team will be in my thoughts and prayers (can I say that?!?). I will be looking forward to reading your posts. Break a leg!
    Kindly,
    Skylar
    Spontaneous spinal. "Crummy dura". Cysts. 3 BPs, 1 glue, 2 surgeries, 4 LPs, 4 CTs & 7 MRIs. Still leaking.

Call me Delta Airlines, because I can't handle all your extra baggage. - Ned Flanders

Thank you both so much for your support and kind words. I really do believe that this surgery will be 'the one', and I am ready to get it over with and get back to my life. I can't wait to post on this forum that I feel like myself again!

What is Dr. S trying this time? I hope it works for you!!!
    Jeanne
    Mother of teen w/ lumbar Scheuerman's, L5 spondylolisthesis, repaired 8-month CSF Leak, L3-S1Fusion (2009)
    Robby's Leak Story

He is going to put a non-valve shunt into the anterior thoracic part of my cyst, where the leaks occur, and then wrap it around to the posterior spinal sac. It is supposed to keep the pressure higher and alleviate the symptoms. It won't fix the leaks, but at this point I don't care about that. He said he has done 4 of these and all have had great results, with alleviating or completely eliminating the symptoms. I'll let ya'll know how it goes!

PRAYING for you!
    Laura

Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere

Thank you Laura!

Community Member

Txcinda --
    I would like to join everyone else in saying I will be thinking of you and wish you a speedy and complete recovery.
    You are certainly in the best hands possible with Dr. S.
    Good luck - looking forward to your updates!
    Best - Marianne

Hi Cinda

I just found my way back to the forum. I hope all went well in surgery and I look forward to your next post.

Best wishes, Thia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast