Page 44 of 106 FirstFirst ... 14343940414243444546474849547494 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Happenin'

Distinguished Community Member

this and that is happening
    "Here's an unpopular opinion: I'm actually not at all concerned about innocent men losing their jobs over false sexual assault/harassment allegations. Sorry. If some innocent men's reputations have to take a hit in the process of undoing the patriarchy, that is a price I am absolutely willing to pay." Teen Vogue writer Emily Lindin

this is the 2nd snow since March began! at least the sun is shining & supposed to be near 60 later this week! can hardly wait-I'll be outside doing something fer sure.

Joy,if you had a cat you wouldn't have that Beta fish for long! mine didn't last long after adopting 2 kittens. and I know you miss Meaness. I will never stop missing the dogs that have gone to Doggie Heaven. keep a pic of Rags right by my computer.I hope I do not outlive Freckles!

just read an article about how bugs are a concern for farmer's this spring,winter was too mild to kill off some bugs. since we have had wasps all winter & even a bumblebee! already!! I expect to be plagued with critters.

daffodils are being picked in the fields. I have a big bouget of them in the kitchen window. plan to put nasturiums in every container I have around the yard soon as it actually warms up for good.

The sun is shining and it's 64 degrees here in Michigan. Nicer day predicted tomorrow.

Just popping my head in to say hi. I've made 8 loaves of Amish friendship bread, tons of amish pancakes and cleaned my carpets since I came on here last. I have had only two slices of the bread. How's that for will power?

Done with the court system!!!

Still in family therapy. Not sure how it's going to be honest but I'm putting full trust in my therapist.

That is about it for me. I'm trying to keep up with all you strong people.

I'll be back
    Dee

Dee,glad you checked in. was wondering how you are doing. sounds like you like to bake? when I was a young mother I made bread all the time. curious what Amish bread is? must be a relief to have the court hassle done with! a good therapist is a treasure eh?

snow is gone. no wind either,so weather is improving which helps my mood. herbs are coming awake & I'm very anxious for spring to come! looking forward to opening doors & doing some spring cleaning.

have an invasion of lady bugs. well grateful I don't live where houses are demolished by tornadoes.

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hey everyone !

dee and pati, it's nice to see you post. i haven't seen you around much pati and dee, you just post whenever you feel up to it . i'd like to know what amish bread is, too?

a really sunny warm day here in det-wah...66 degrees with a good breeze blowing. i took the dogs outside and we played fetch. the ground is drying out and i see buds on the hydrangea's. my tulips in front have leaves coming out of the ground. it'so nice to see things starting to bud!

i'm washing clothes...my own stuff. i actually like to separate my clothes, not like some in my family who will wash everything together! i say you wash whites together, colored clothes together, jeans together and delicates together..not everything together. i am NOT picky...just sensible .

i'm going to home depot this saturday to plan my kitchen. my hustle class is tonight and tomorrow i have a bunch of appointments and i don't know if i can fit seeing my mom in, but i'll try later than i usually am there.

chris, you must be painting or ummmm..planting? i hope you're feeling okay. julia, jan, joy, dawn, mal, clouds z, beader, i'm keeping up with all your posts elsewhere. hope you're all doing fine!

off i go!

thank you for sharing and caring ,
    jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 03-07-2012 at 08:18 PM.
    WE ARE BT!
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

I have a horrow story for you all. My neighbor, a nice young woman (hubby worked with her mother, we gave manx cats to her and her dad years and years ago, she married a neighbor of ours etc.) Seems she had to supposedly minor surgeries to her foot. Her hasband called and said it was swollen, weeping etc, they said probably bandage too tight, rewrap. Well it got much worse so he took her in. As soon as doctor saw it, said can you load her back up and take her tohospital? Yep, their stupidy has lost her her lower part of leg ! I get mad every time I think about it. There should never be just waot. I know when I had ulcers I was told more than once that if it was any other doctor, I would be losing at least part of that particular foot. But I was luccky and my foot doctor always kept close watch and an high doses of medication once I told him my urn record with most antibiotics not working well for me.

Poor woman has not got to come home yet. Just keep her in your prayers. I don't think I know of any person that is a bigger animal lover than this woman. Sometimes I will try and tell her story about the life she had with the kitten she got from me.

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well me thinks it is time to check in.

Dee I am absolutely thrilled that things are working out for you and I hope all that all of your legal issues have turned out favorably. Congratulations on your restraint. If there is no bread in the house then I feel like we are all going to starve to death lolol. I bought a loaf of Chalah at the Farmer's Market and wound up eating all but a couple of slices lolol. Wasn't all at one time but it was bad enough. Bread and butter. Eaten regularly at my grandma's knee soon as I was able. Her with her homemade bread mmmmm. That and her macaroni and home canned tomato juice. LOOOOVE.

Egads I have really gotten behind and here you are Joy posting while I am still typing lolol. I had to open two BT windows to get caught up and make sure I have my info right.

Jeannie I am glad nothing major was damaged. I was afraid to go to bed that night, we have a Linden tree out front and it is close to the house but it is young and strong and not terribly tall yet.
    I will have to see how tall they are supposed to get. Anyway the tornado sirens have started doing their seasonal first Saturday of the month test and we sleep with our fans on and I am afraid we won't be able to hear the sirens. Wow that turned out really convoluted lol. Babble babble. I tell ya this weather is making me whacky. I am so ready to start planting. I hope your cabinets come out beautifully. I would love to do a kitchen overhaul. Been watching too much DIY and HGTV.

Joy how terrible for your friend. Lots of prayers. I will never blow off any health issues again. I use to not even bother with the docs but I have too many issues myself not to go. Just devastating. We got that wind going on right now. Been terrible here the last few days. Thank goodness it has been a bit warm. At least makes it tolerable. Ya know, I have no clue what my grandma was thinking when she had the cupboards put into the kitchen here. They are so small that we can barely get a cookie sheet in the bottom ones and the top ones are barely wide enough for a plate to slide in. Which confuses me because she was a real cooker. Thank goodness there is plenty of storage elsewhere.

Pati I actually got to air out the house today. It was warm enough for me to open a few windows and try to get rid of that closed up for the winter smell lol. Time to start keeping an eye out for those that are doing their spring cleaning. We almost always get something to haul home. I almost grabbed a Futon frame out of the neighbor's trash but I didn't want to take the chance of hurting myself lol.

Clouds I hope your this and that is a good this and that. How has the weather been out your way? Uber bizarre here.

Jo I hope you are staying out of trouble. I am terribly jealous that you have green already. I ordered some summer bloomers from one of shortcake's school friends. They will come to the house so I won't have to pick them up at the school. Know anyone who might be interested in some Kochia. Guess I am going to find someone to give them to. Needs to actually be a cold climate otherwise it is too invasive.
    That's what I get for getting greedy and not doing enough research.

Jim and Sandra I hope you become regulars here.

Thinking of all of yous who haven't checked in here in a while. ((((hugs))))

This weather is wreaking havoc with my Fibro. Saw my PM Monday and will be starting another series of back injections. I have this constant sharp pain in my right lower back. Sharp kick here and there. Went and saw my primary today finally about some referrals and my heart palpitations. His first words were ' I hope it's not a mitral prolapse' LOL. Well yeah doc, me too. Nothing like giving me something else to worry about. So I came home and decided to do a little research and came across this. http://www.anxietypanic.com/mvp.html This all started when I was having my break down. I was thinking maybe it was the meds I had a reaction to but I hadn't even taken them for two weeks. Who knows. Just looking forward to getting it taken care of.

As for shortcake's room it is getting done slowly, as my pain allows. Ceiling is done, magnet paint needs another coat, the doors are started, and one wall is started. Last couple days my fibro has kept me from doing much. Have been able to keep the house somewhat clean.

Shortcake's bowel issues are getting better. He has actually been pad free on and off since his colonoscopy. Long ways to go but it is a start. I just found out today that this will be his school's last year open. They are planning on closing it and sending the kids our to other schools in the district. I don't know why they chose his school. They are absolutely wonderful there. Lots of parents are pissed. Shortcake is lucky, he will be going to a new district in the fall so it won't be so shocking for him. It makes me very sad, I grew up hanging out at that school. All of us neighborhood kids hung out there and played in the woods there from the time I was 11 yrs old and we still go there for picnics and to play on the playground. Makes me want to cry.

Well my hands are just killing me and it has taken me all afternoon to write this. so I am going to stop now. I'll be back!

Amish Friendship bread is the most delicious cinnamin cake like bread I have ate. You start out with a small batter given to you by a friend usually. If you have a good contact with someone who is Amish or I have seen it sold on a site online. But I always get a starter from my sister who gets her's from a friend and so forth. Once you recieve the batter you tend to it for ten days. On the tenth day you make new starters to pass out and leave some for yourself to bake bread with. I also use the batter for pancakes. I have fried so many pancakes up and frozen them. Easy to pull out and microwave.

Just got back from visiting my rather unusually talkative father. He seems to be doing well. it was a nice visit.

My dog is being very demanding right now wanting my attention. His leg still pops out of socket , especially when he get excited. I think I will go take care of him.

Oh yeah Chris,, $4000 legal fee but we are happy with the outcome in court. After a year of being in court, I'm so looking forward just putting this behind us.

Jeannie,, you are one busy woman! You impress me.

got to go ,, bark bark

Dee

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

HERMAN!!!

dee, that bread starter recipe has been around since i was prolly in my 20's, cause i remember making bread from it then!

here is the recipe i found online, for all of you interested in making the starter. you are supposed to give it out to friends and keep some to start the next batch. that way a little bit of the original herman is always in whatever you make. you can google "herman bread starter recipes" and get a bunch of different ways to use herman. pancakes are delicious, though!

HERMAN STARTER

1 pkg. Dry Yeast
    2 cups lukewarm Water
    2 cups Flour

In a glass or plastic container, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add flour and beat till smooth. Cover and let stand at room temperature 48 hours. This makes two cups starter.
    Use one cup of Herman and give the other cup to a friend.

CARE OF HERMAN

To one cup of starter, feed:
    1/2 cup Sugar
    1 cup Flour
    1 cup Milk

DAY ONE: Stir thoroughly.

DAYS 2, 3 AND 4: Stir Herman again on the second, third and fourth days.

DAY 5: On the fifth day, feed Herman again:
    1/2 cup Sugar
    1 cup Flour
    1 cup Milk

Stir and set aside.

DAYS 6, 7, 8 AND 9: Stir again on the sixth, seventh, eighth and ninth days.

DAY 10: On the tenth day Herman is ready to be used.

Herman starter is allowed to stand 48 hours at room temperature.

When feeding begins Herman should be refrigerated.

A cup of Herman dough added to biscuit mix makes delicious biscuits.

DO NOT use metal utensils to stir herman or start herman in a metal container!

jeannie

p.s. i did a little more research and found out amish friendship bread starter is almost identical to this. you can also find recipes for amish bread started by googling "amish friendship starter recipes". its kind of a sweet sourdough starter. if i were making bread out of it, i prolly wouldn't put as much sugar in the starter or when feeding herman. you do need some sugar though, cause thats what herman eats...lol .
    Last edited by tic chick; 03-07-2012 at 08:43 PM.
    WE ARE BT!
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Okay ya'll I am gonna dive in here, with both feet lol. I am looking at the recipe here and what can be made with them but according to Google there are a few different types of Herman. I love sourdough but it is not my preference and I see that some are into sweet breads, not to be confused with.. and here it is once in a while, not enough really for my liking but it is more than I feel up to doing most times.

Anyway I like a bit of a heavy white bread with a bit of a chewy crunchy crust. My grandmother made the most awesome bread regularly and I have tried in the past, way in the past but my crust was too thick. I have all of her recipes and my mother's but there are many different kinds. I have a bread maker but it also makes the crust way too thick. If I put it on french bread setting it is a bit better. I also have tried to make like banana bread in the bread maker but it came out too airy. Not like the sweet heavy bread hand made. As for the pancakes that is an awesome idea, toaster and micro cakes are just nasty and it would be quick for Shortcake. Soooo...which one would be best?

So which do I choose. I have also seen recipes in most of the homesteading sites and books I see. Should I look for just a basic white bread Herman, lol makes me laugh to say it. I always think of that little root creature in the bowl of milk under the bed in the movie Pan's Labyrinth. Okay I'm rambling.

Oh yeah I have bread maker yeast can I use that? Oh and I have also seen where you capture your own yeast for Herman. Similar method.

Cooks.com which is a recipe site I frequent has this to show

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-..._dough,FF.html
    Last edited by houghchrst; 03-08-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Page 44 of 106 FirstFirst ... 14343940414243444546474849547494 ... LastLast