Thread: Auto-Save ????

Distinguished Community Member Jo6's Avatar

Default Auto-Save ????

I'm a little slow----, scratch that, I'm Real slow! When I start writing a post I see Auto-Save appear in the lower right hand corner in the posting box.

It goes away as fast as it comes. OK, I lost a post one day, and while I was trying to figure out how to "find" it because it was long and I was tired.

I then saw something in the lower left hand corner about the auto saying post. I clicked on that and to my delight my whole post popped right back up and I finished the post.

Now this may be common knowledge to everybody else, but I must have missed that class!! I was very happy to see this feature, but I want to know how this works so I can use it to benifit me when needed. Everybody I have asked didn't know what I was talking about.

I probably did not explain my self very well and THATS why they didn't understand me.

Could someone please explain this to me? If so I will forever be grateful.

Jo
    Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
    'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

Blog Entries

Hi Jo :)

Auto save is a safety net in case you lose connection or leave the page without finishing the post. I know it works using the quick reply where you just type your post in the white box at the bottom of the thread. I haven't tested it if you click the "reply to thread" button yet (will after this post).

So if you lost connection mid post and come back to the same thread you'll see a "restore saved post" blurb in the lower left corner of the gray box. Click that and you'll post will come back :)

There is no setting to determine how long the post is saved before it gets deleted by the system, and I haven't gone through the code to find out what the grace period is vbautosave.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Weins; 11-22-2011 at 01:49 AM. Reason: fixed typos :D
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

The auto save works with "reply to thread" too. It is similar to the auto save function on my email which saves my drafts after 1 moment even if I have not clicked "save". It has saved my butt a few times,believe me. :)

Default Thanks Mike

I typed a long post one day, the door bell rang and I was away long enougth for it to time out. I had to go back and log back onto BrainTalk. No way did I expect to find that post again. Right before I started the new post I saw the message in left hand corner. I thought, what the heck, the worse it can do is blow up.
    I clicked on the "restore the saved post" and to my surprise my post, the whole thing posted, just like normal!!

I thought I just had a good dream for a change! I have used this several times and I really am pleased to find this feature.

I know several people that lose post a lot and I've told them about this. They acted like they didn't understand anything about it. It may be worth while to maybe post something about this, but you may already have. I used it on the "reply to this thread" so It also works on the longer post.!

I like the new system, but it does take me awhile to learn everything. You have been very kind and fast in answering questions here. Mike, you are 1 in a million and I do appreciate everything you do for these forums.

wishing you a very Happy Thanksgiving, Jo
    Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle

for my brother Ben

Distinguished Community Member

well a habit is always hard for me to break but i am gonna try. i always use the reply to post or whatever the long post is called. and i must be chatty kathy because i am forever getting the must wait 1 minute to post feature. gosh I know this is for a good reason (and I THANK YOU ALL) for that. but my two fingers and mind cause me more aggrivation over are you sure you want to leave the page or whatever it says and the not letting me post even if it is to another questions.

Will I give up? No way, at least not yet. might get rabid or something but quit, never!

edited to add, aw Jo I saw where you said it did work on reply to post as well. great!

Blog Entries

I got called away before testing with the "reply to thread" button thank you for confirming it works that way as well funnylegs :)

Joy you get the message about leaving the page if you're typing in the quick reply box and click on a link or button that leaves the page (ie the reply to thread button).

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Blog Entries

I did a bit more digging around behind the scenes and found that posts are saved every 60 seconds. I still don't know for how long they are saved, but hopefully will find out.

Step 1 - log in

Joy, you are talking to the queen of "hunt and peck" gal. That is the reason I even saw the "auto save" in right hand bottom.

You know how long winded I am so I almost always use the "reply to thread" box. I don't know how long I was gone that day. When I came back I had to log back on and when I got to the place I had typed it was all gone, but then I saw the restore saved post, I clicked on it and low and behold my whole post just popped back up there where it was supossed to be. I said goodbuy and posted it. I was happy to see all of that because I didn't know we could do it.

When you hunt and peck you glance down now and again, so that was why I knew it was there. Now, if I can do it , you can!! Between the 2 of us we have a whole brain, eh? lol

When I have more time to play I'll see how long I can use the "restore the auto save" thingy.

Julia

p.s. I was gone at least 6 min. so I guess it's longer than that.
    Last edited by Jo6; 11-22-2011 at 01:06 PM.

for my brother Ben