Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Couldn't Get To The Docs Today

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Default I Couldn't Get To The Docs Today

Got all dressed up and ready to go at 11:00am for my appt at 11:30. DD got here right on time and I drove my indoor scooter out to the garage. Tried to transfer into mini van and could not do it.. We tried for a long time and I just couldn't lift my legs up into the van. Then I was weakened and slid to the garage floor in my brand new jeans.

DD couldn't get me up so called 911 and they picked me up and set me in my scooter...went inside and had a hard time transfering to sofa. Finally made it and I'm still here, sitting on one of pals potty pads. It seems that I hurt my good leg, in the fall.

I'm hoping my not so good leg will heal with rest and I'll be able to get up later. I guess, since I cannot go to the Docs anymore and he doesn't make house calls, I'll have to have a visiting nurse/HHC come to my house to check on me? Do any of you have HHC and if so how does it work?

Cry cry cry cry cry cry cry....soooooo down!! Help me get up please. Please pray for me :o
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Distinguished Community Member

Oh, Sally, what a day! What do you think happened? Do you think you are that much worse or that the getting ready wore you out?

And you were wearing those tight new PJ jeans! Oh, my! Trying to find an up side here: were any of the emergency guys hunks? A girl could get used to that (thinking of our cabana days).

i'll keep you in my thoughts & prayers,
    ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 11-16-2011 at 02:21 PM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sally, that fall was so uncalled for! So sorry you had this problem. I hope your leg strength will come back pronto. Maybe plenty of rest and eating foods with lots of vitamins will help?

Maybe you could get to the doctor in a wheelchair. The local chapter of the MS Society might have one to lend you. You'd need a lift-equiped van but the local transportation system might provide that.

Visiting nurses work out well. Or maybe it depends on the community you're in. My impression is that in larger towns the services are better.

I used to have a visiting nurse give my Avonex shot because I was having problems doing it myself. My hands weren't up to it.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Oh Sally I am so sorry. It just isn't fair. I live in a really small town about 50 miles from Boise. I say this because we have really good HHC folks even in our area. Granted it does take a bit longer to have them come out.

I have used them for IVSM several times. Despite all the health care workers in my immediate family no one wants to start an IV in my arm!

Sending good thoughts your way.

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

Here we have a lift van that costs $5 round trip to appointments. You could just be liften in on your scooter, out to the docs and back in to go home. They usually ask for 48 hour notice of appointments. I am sure there has to be something like that in your area. Ask the NMSS or MSF if there is something near you.

Hope that leg feels better quickly and you wake renewed tomorrow.

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

((((Sally)))) Some days really suck! Sounds like you had one of those days today. Tomorrow is a new day and hopefully it will be much, much better.
    It's very upsetting to not be able to do something that you could do just yesterday, and not know if/when that failure might happen.
    I am forever nagged by feeling the need to develop a back-up plan or safety net for the next challenge I may face, which is why I buy "equipment" a little before I actually "need" it. I'm always trying to stay one step ahead . . . what a way to live!

For instance, I cannot stand for more than a minute or two while holding onto a grab bar for dear life, and move my feet at all, thus making it very difficult and frightening to get into or out of the shower. Right now, DH helps me by actually physically moving my useless feet himself and helps me to pivot onto the waiting shower bench. After the shower, he pivots me out, into my waiting wheelchair. But I ask myself daily, how long will I be able to do that? In an effort to stay one step ahead of increasing disability, I am searching for a wheelchair friendly house to suit our needs that includes a bathroom large enough to adapt with a roll-in shower. Just trying to stay one step ahead . . . it sucks!

Dial-a-Ride type services are something that can help you get out. My elderly parents use it almost weekly to get to appointments. They use something called Paratransit here in CA and it costs $2.60 per trip within 60 miles. They have to give 24 hours notice.
    I'm sure there is a service like this where you are.

I've used HHC for IVSM several times too. The nurses have been friendly, well trained in what they do and more thorough than the doctor with much, much better bed-side manner too.

I hope you can find solutions that work for you. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Joan

Default Sorry Sally....

Sorry to hear about your situation. You've already gotten some good advice so I'll just relate what happened to my neighbor. You know you can always find a situation that is worse than the one you find yourself in.

She had taken a shower with her husband soaping her back when she began to slid down the wall tile on her backside. She had fallen to the bottom of the tub/shower and her husband could not get her up. He called 911 and 4 firemen arrived to lift her up. She said she was as naked as the day she was born. Neither of them thought to put anything over her.

She was laughing about it and I was too as that is my "worse nightmare".

Hope you have better days.....

Gabriella:angel:
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

...For all you endure.
    Moderator #7

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people whose posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Thanks Mod7

Amen, Gabriella. It could always be worse for sure. I remember the times (yes there have been more than one!) that I had to be picked up from the bathroom floor by the hunky firemen who put me in a sling thing they refer to as a taco. I was so embarrassed but was glad I was not naked!

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Thank all you wonderful people for your kind and helpful support.:o

While my leg is healing, I cannot transfer to get to the potty and have been using Pal's doggy pads.:ambivalence: Does anyone have a better idea, like maybe poise pads or something?

I hope this is a temporary situation.....Please.....

Last edited by SalpalSally; 11-17-2011 at 03:31 AM.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast