Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zoloft withdrawal

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

yeah Pati I hadn't thought of that I am sure that many aren't able to go from doc to doc and med to med. They can't afford. I was feeling the pinch just being without healthcare for a month, again so I know a bit of what it is like.

Distinguished Community Member Jo6's Avatar

Montyjack, I am very sorry you are having such a hard time getting leveled out. I take anti-depessant meds. I have for years and I probably will until I die. Depression is caused from many things and I think much of mine has been passed along from family. No matter the reason I don't feel bad about taking them, but I understand if others do not want to take them.

Actually I would rather not take any kinds of meds. but I know some I take will be with me forever. I do admire anyone that is trying to get off meds. and I know what withdrawel feels like. I have had seizures from sudden withdrawel from meds. Quiet frankly, I am more frightened about the seizures than I am with the withdrawel.

You mentioned your hubby and his behavior. Is this something that has started recently? The reason I ask I know many that have LO's that start with the sudden rages etc. and the Dr. would tell family they are suffering from some form of Dementia. Alzheimer's is one kind of dementia. I'm not a Dr., but I have had to deal with some of the behaviour's that you mentioned. My mother-in-law had Alzheimers. She lived about 12 yrs. after the Dr. dx'ed her. She turned from a very loving kind, would not hurt a flea person to what you have described and then some.

If I am out of line, please forgive me. My intentions were for the good, but it may not apply to your husband at all.

I do hope you will be able to deal with things better from now on.

take care, Jo
    Last edited by Jo6; 12-19-2011 at 04:48 PM.
    Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
    'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

Default more news re zoloft withdrawal and psych

Thank you for all comments. Seeing a psychiatrist is simply not an option. Firstly, what mental health benefits I have are long ago exhausted - was limited to 3 psych visits - can't pay on my own. The last was laughable; she suggested I have a set of car keys, cash and credit card readily available if I needed to flee from a rage outburst. Wonderfully helpful.
    It's become a world of PA's operating under a doctor's Rx aegis who throw prescriptions out there. Does most of their education come from drug company reps?
    I fundamentally exist with an antagonistic husband under economic circumstances, the reality of which I must accept: no family, no independent money, no where to go. He doesn't want to be bothered from his hobby (isolating in its nature, and expensive), so I am trying to learn not to talk to him at all, nor try to involve him in anything at all. Needless to say, he angrily rebuffs any attempt at humor or affection, so I've long ago given up on that. Yet he rages at me about not having any friends. Upon what basis can we share anything with anyone? He demeans and insults me in public; I've learned to avoid being in those circumstances.
    It's a sorrowful situation; he's threatening to leave again. I am fine with that, so long as he tries to keep expenses down, but I'm facing some medical testing which will require his driving me to and from. It's a terrible situation, but I remain free of zoloft and alcohol abuse. But so sad.

No indeed, Jo6, your comments are not out of line. I posted here to all, and welcome any comments. My husband has always been angry and ridiculously impatient, but I attributed it to his being an exceptionally intelligent, motivated person in a stressful career. Frankly, I think he's been angry since childhood; being a line officer with 2 tours in 'Nam (SeAL), then having to restart careers more than once contributed. He can present himself as a very reasonable person to his doc, (largely concealing emotional issues), acquaintances, and boasts of many friendships. But they are internet ones, built around an arcane, highly limited hobby. There is no real cultivation of closeness nor frequent actual human visits!

I don't sense at all any slips or alarming signs of forgetfulness. But he blames me for everything, and I am so very hurt by it. I would have expected some acknowledgement for my having struggled out of alcohol abuse and sustained it for over 3 years. Far from perfect, I have tangled with his overbearing sister, and been otherwise "human" on more than a few instances. But I am speaking of threatening, hate filled rage, and emotionally devastating digs at what I try to do.

I realize this is abuse, and that I'm responsible for letting it happen to me; I've already explained my economic distress. I'll take another's invitation to visit the emotional support group, but I would so love to find some way to communicate with my husband that is kind and civil. He just is so cruelly angry in the present, dresses the past in skewed memories, and will not enjoy the very fine life he has and could have even more with just a little forgiving effort. He'd rather dig at me for the past and chase thoroughly impractical things into the future as if they were somehow answers.

I let him get me so freaking off balance, and he knows that. And he knows I'm scared witless over finances being squandered.

I don't expect anyone to give me answers; I'm grateful for those of you who've read this far. I still refuse to consider returning to meds or alcohol, but sure get no support at home for either goal. As he said last evening, "Christmas sure isn't what it used to be." Of course it isn't - nothing about life is what it used to be. Look at all you have to enjoy NOW, if only that were possible.

Bless all of you in your own circumstances, try to stay strong, and thank you again.

Distinguished Community Member

[B]thinking if he was a SEAL he's an over achiever & it's scary he has utmost skills in what could turn ugly when he's in a rage (and blaming YOU for his misery). do you have any local support? I agree the remark from the shrink was not too helpful,however she/he had a point. you do need a game plan.

well let me be one to say I admire you kicked an alcohol addiction & are determined to kick the Zoloft also. sad he's not supportive but you stay strong & give yourself credit. doubtful he will change afterall.

now of course from what you've written so far I can detect that he needs some help. could be some type of brain damage or illness causing his behavior. any chance you could contact VA in your area for help? since you don't drive you'd have to rely on internet or phone but it might be a beginning?

wishing you a better year ahead! keep posting please,we do care & it's such a relief to be able to share & know someone out there understands. BT has been my lifeline for several years now.

((((hugs)))) Pati

Distinguished Community Member Beader's Avatar

I have to agree that major depression is a biochemical imbalance. It's been a problem for me since my teens, and I'm also one of the unlucky 20% who has to switch meds every few years when they stop working. Zoloft was one of the worst to get off since it caused me irrational rages and the desire to slam my car into the nearest tree for no reason. I've come to accept the fact that no matter how much others want me to believe that I'll be fine if I REALLY want to be, I know they are wrong and misguided. I might as well believe in Tinker Bell, clap my hands and sprinkle fairy dust.

Just to remind everybody, if nausea is a serious issue, there's always OTC Benadryl -- the same thing they use IV in hospitals.

Good luck to you, Montyjack, but can I ask you why you want to be off all psychotropic meds if they definitely helped in the past? Personally, I just wouldn't survive.

Sher

ETA Whoops! Just found page 2. MJ -- are there any free or cheap social services available to you? I see a social worker for counseling & it helps tremendously. Yes, your husband does sound abusive, but maybe there's also some PTSD going on too.
    Last edited by Beader; 01-01-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Default Unfortunate news, friends

I hit a rock bottom, end it all, hopeless, crying crisis two days ago; my husband flipped into a rage and we decided to end the marriage. I sat frozen in bed, afraid to move for fear of what I'd do. Still there.

My husband is doing all he can to annoy or irritate me out of my safety spot, and is behaving as if I'm just having a little "blue mood"; I almost want to show him that I'm not. His indifference is just throwing me into a rage, and he'll be back installed in his study soon, for the rest of the day. He's angry because he must drive me to a medical procedure tomorrow. (I have no family).

The sad end to this post is that I glommed down some xanax, valium to get through yesterday, and have returned to Zoloft. If I hadn't, he would have just had to drop me off at some crisis center or psych hospital; and probably would have been happy to do so. Supposedly, if you'd been on Zoloft, the "benefits" kick in faster - old wives' tale? I feel so terrible about it all, having gone through that hellacious withdrawal and feeling so good about it for awhile. But between the reality of brain chemistry and a crazy old rage prone husband (?), I think I'd rather be buried in Zoloft, 200 mg and more, than leave my daughter (lives 2 days away) with a suicided mom memory.

Last edited by Moderator #7; 01-19-2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Not the person I thought
    Moderator #7

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people whose posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Distinguished Community Member

Montyjack,you're on a thin line right now. and messing around with various meds is not a grand idea is it? you need an advocate,the sooner the better. any chance your daughter could come visit? please do whatever it takes to get help for yourself. Zoloft made me suicidal.

wishing better days ahead for you & very soon!

Distinguished Community Member Beader's Avatar

Default Keep on Holdin' On

Montyjack,

I hope the worst of the immediate crisis has passed. Please don't feel bad about going back on your meds since they exist to help get you thru these incredibly bad times. I'm certain your daughter would rather have you around to talk with and console each other than to have to be planning your funeral now. I realize that may come across as a bit harsh & I'm sorry if it does, but that is the alternative after all. We all need our moms no matter how old we get. And you need your daughter too. I hope you both have easy access to each other by phone.

I walked out on a druggy abusive husband thirty years ago & it was the best and bravest move I could ever have made. Yes, I was a zombie for six months plus, but I made it and am still here! And now I don't ever have to care where he is or what he's doing ever again. It may seem impossible and un-doable in the moment, but I'm living proof that it can be achieved. So do whatever you have to do to make it thru the days & nights in one piece, OK? We're pulling for ya!

Sher

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast