Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thought I would check in and take my own advice.

Distinguished Community Member

Cool Thought I would check in and take my own advice.

I guess everyone is feeling like I do - terrible. - the weather here has my normal meds like asprin. I usually have breakthru meds at the end of the month. Not this one. My lower back won't let up, my arthritis (throughout my body), along with a host of other problems, won't quit flaring and I am feeling useless - the house is so needy, maintanence wise, Right now I have niether the energy or money to put things right. On a positive note, I have my Life partner who I have been with 20+ years now, we hope for another 20 but that is spirits descision, a roof over my head, and food in the fridge. I am grateful for even the smallest thing. Thank ya'll for your patiance when i get on a rant, pain can do that to you, but I always try to respect my home (here). I truely hope everyone is doing ok, at the very least.
    Happy Thaksgiving
    Blessings to all
    Alex44:ambivalence:

Ps - Is it this way for all you other people - doees the weather affect you?
    A.

Distinguished Community Member Jo6's Avatar

Default hi Alex

I'm sorry for the flare's and the weather. Yes indeed, all of those things take it's toll on me. It's been awful the past 2 months. I went to Pain Management Dr. Monday, bad news all around. Then exrays of back to see if I had a fracture caused by another problem.

Wouldn't you know, didn't see the Dr. afterwards, but nurse came out and gave me my scripts. He gave me another pain med. increased the dose so who knows what the exray said. Even with the increased break thru med. the pain is still bad, sometimes worse.

So, whats a poor soul to do? Be thankfull for still being here, trying to stay warm, got plenty to eat, I have much to be thankful for.

Alex, I know how the flare's do a # on me and I am not always pleasant. I try to not be around people when I am so bad. I haven't been here much this week. I'm afraid I will discourage others.

Just hang in there and we can pray for better days. I know many others are right there with us concerning our pain levels. We can say a prayer for them while we are at it.

Take care dear, Jo ((((Alex))))
    Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
    'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

Community Member

Alex44,
    I have to agree with you about the change in weather increases the pain level. It happens to me it seems with every seasonal change, spring, summer, fall and winter. I can understand going from summer to winter because of the colder temperatures, but don't get the change from cold to warm. You would think the body would feel better because of the temps warming up. It's like the body has to adjust to any changes. I have so much pain I have to look to make sure I took my pain pills. It takes longer for the pain pills to kick in too with the change of weather. In my earlier problems with this I didn't recognize this and would ask for increases of my meds, witch really didn't help. I just had to learn that my body would adjust, and go back to the levels I was at before the weather change. It sure is hard to get through this period. It just shows how much we learn over the years about our conditions.

I'm sorry that you are having a rough time of it right now, alex. I have been sick since last Thursday, myself, with a bad cold bug that developed into something worse in my chest. All my other family members who had this thing ended up with bronchitis. Doc gave me an antibiotic, which certainly helped, but the bug left my body weak to the point of nearly passing out when I stood up. What a joke - had gotten a flu shot on Nov 1st. This wasn't nearly as bad as flu, but draining just the same. Luckily, dh didn't catch it from me! He's doing well, and for that I'm thankful. Well, take care and feel better!
    My avatar is of my daughter, Andrea, who we lost in a fire on 1/18/11

** Hx of an L4/L5 fusion w/ hardware in April 2002 and taking daily pain meds;
    ** proud Grandma of three grandchildren, Angelo, 11/11/05, and Julianna, 1/3/08, and Penny, 6/20/13

Alex, sorry to hear you are hurting so much. The weather doesn't impact my pain at all that I can tell. I do agree that will all the pain we deal with and the discomfort that comes with it we need to appreciate the little things in our lives. If we didn't all we would be is a tale of woe:ambivalence:.

Jo, sorry to hear about your increased pains. I hope the increase in meds can at least knock the edge off your pain. I hope your doctor can figure out the source and find a treatment that will reduce your pain.

Burr, it is good you found out that your body wasn't adjusting to the weather otherwise it is hard to tell how high a dose you would be on during the winter. You are right that we learn a lot through this experience.

SmilingAngel, get well soon. Bronchitis is going around and my daughter has it real bad so I know how draining it is. We had her husband and daughter over the other night just to give her a break and get some sleep in.

I don't get affected by weather but I do from my activities and times I forget a dose of meds and take them late. If I am good taking my meds on time and limiting my activities I can keep my pain under control except for a few days now and then when it flares up for no apparent reason.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Hello All.....

Sorry the weather is getting to you all....an extra layer of....DA DUM....to have advance on you....

I am not too effected by change in the weather...unless it is very cold...then the metal plates and screws in my hand and wrist...make sure I put gloves on....Last winter I went to a seven day retreat....camped in my husbands work vehicle...a Jeep Cherokee...I have made the best little camper out of it...he let me put velcro along the inside above the windows...and I run fabric panels...with more velcro attached...as curtains along the sides...and then put velcro on the tailgate ridges...when the tailgate is open...run another curtain of heavy fabric along the contours of the tailgate...extending into the inside...

It takes less than a minute to set the panels...and he disconnected the light inside...so the tailgate stays open all night..and I have a little tent...it gives me about 3 feet of stand up space...I bring a small carpet runner and put on the ground...and I have a lovely...private room....for changing my clothes and brushing teeth and all of that...

I get to park right next to the Temple...and sometimes...I get too feeling odd...because the Lama's and the monks are walking right by me...along with other retreatants...and I am getting dressed...!....

I got sidetracked...last winter there was a cold snap....12 below zero....at night...the weather got to me....everyone was soooooo concerned for me...that I had so many blankets...it was lifting weights to roll over...but the skull fractures....I can't take too hot of water...in the shower...or put my head in a swimming pool if the water is too chilled....Well 12 below zero....My head...oh my gosh...I had such a headache...I couldn't believe it...it hurt....HURT....I was so upset because I wanted to have this teaching so much...

I kept trying different things...I was so discouraged...then....I took one of the smaller goosedowns off of my body and made a tent for my head...using the headrests from the front seats...and draped it doubled...making a close fitting pocket for my head...with a little...very little...opening so I could breathe....that made my little head cave...nice and toasty...

It was bad...but at the same time...it was good...because...I knew I could survive camping in the winter...that was a freak cold for where we live...it lasted a week....I am going to another winter retreat...and feel confident...I will easily handle it...no matter what....

They allow you to sleep in the Temple...where it is warm..but I am up and down tooooooooo much...I would be a disturbance for others...repeatedly in the night......and I like the privacy...of my little car tent....I have made such a good bed in there...I like it better than the bed I sleep in every night..!..

I always take off...with the....flailing of the fingers....dribbling my mind right through them....

But....

Now I have to get up....

I pray everyone...a better feeling day....healthier...and less pain.....

A wish and and prayer...for All.......

Hummer - I am so glad to hear you got to warm up - Your little tent sounds very cool - I pray that you get what you need... It soounds like you are in a good place to do that.
    Jo6 - I can relate. I sometimes post in the heat of the moment because I am in a flare, the changing weather is not helping, and then wind up apolagizing. I try to think, or just not post when I am in a flare or before I hit the submit button. Hang in there - thanksgiving is coming and I am sure we ALL have something to be thankful for - I know I do and i have become grateful for the smallest of things. you are in my prayers.
    Smiling Angel - How wonderful it is to hear from you. I am sorry you are sick - I do not get any flu shots, the last time I did i got the Flu.... Hope this finds you and your family well and happy - you also are in my prayers.
    Burr - I TOTALLY understand what ou are saying. the weather tears me and my S/O up - as soon as we get used to one thing, it changes. Funny you should mention how it seems like our meds take longer to work - I find this to be all too true and have to take more of my breakthru that I try to be conservitive with - tolerance issues and all that as I don't think my doc, angel that she is, would be open to an increase since I am already on a pretty good dose but I will survive. Also, you are in my prayers
    Mark - I am glad to hear that the weather does not get to you like it does me. We have been going from one crisis to the next lately, my therapist is telling me I am doing a good job but it still hurts, both emotionally and physicly. I hope all is well with your family. i will be praying for you.

To all who replied, Thank You. It is my Thanksgiving wish that everyone here on the forum, Be at peace over this holiday and give thanks - I will be praying for the forum as well as for everyone who responded. As well as for peace on earth - thank god our brave men and women are coming home.:)

May eveyone have a happy and joyful thanksgiving, be as pain-free as possible.

Happy Thanksgiving
    Blessings
    Let us all feel the love and light of the world
    Alex44

Being in Florida, except for the last few years, the weather isn't an issue unless we get a freeze. But what I have noticed is that I almost always will go into a flaire somewhere between end of Oct. and Dec. and it tends to last until April. It will vary through out. My husband and I have had fun trying to think of why this happens. It's almost like it follows day lights savings LOL. I don't know! It sucks though because this is always my busiest time with football season and the Holidays.

I'm glad you guys are staying warm!
    Melyssa
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Dx: Cancer(stage 3 Melanoma), Sarcoidosis, Chronic Kidney Stones, Endometriosis(post hysterectomy), DDD, Fibromyalgia Raynards, Hypermobility Syndrome, Osteoporosis, Hypothyroidism, TMJ, Neuromas, PTSD, Coccydynia

Community Member

Boxerlover,
    I wanted to welcome you to the forum. I'm sure you will find any help you might need. It must be nice to live in a warm climate as in Florida. I'm from NE. PA. and would sure like to relocate to warmer climate. My wife would love to move to Myrtle Beach SC. I just don't know how to do it with the meds I take and the doctors I see here. Plus the WC paying for some of my meds and getting another doctor in another state to do this. That's enough about me, again welcome. !!

Melyssa, it is good to see you made it back to the forum with the change we have gone through. Your flare may be due to "your busiest time" as you have increased activities without thinking about it. Other than that I would think it could very well be the amount of sunshine you get each day as some people are very sensitive to getting less sunshine.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast