Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving 2020

Distinguished Community Member

Default Thanksgiving 2020

What are you doing for thanksgiving this strange year? What’s your menu? What are you thankful for?

We will have Peter’s mother over. Just the three of us. We’re have pan fried scrod in butter; baked squash, baked potato (her favorite), carrots and broccoli. There will be hot apple cider when she gets here to start, some cranberry-orange dressing on the table, hot rolls and butter. We’ll finish with pumpkin pie with whipped cream and coffee and tea. (No salad because she doesn’t like salad).

From Nextdoor I know that some of our neighbors are having Chinese takeout and others pizza.

I am thankful for both of our mothers, our collective health and a new president. I’m thankful we have a home and the means to have a special meal this difficult year.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll be seeing my grandson, son and daughter-in-law using FaceTime in the morning. FaceTime is a great way to look in on them and see how they're doing.

I'll be enjoying the beautiful poinsettia my next-door neighbor just gave me. It was so thoughtful of her. She and I worked together on cleaning out the apartment of our neighbor/friend who died last summer and we've stayed friends. She was that woman's helper--and has been a helper/caregiver for people for over 20 years now. I feel very lucky that she's now a friend and even living next door to me and has offered to help if/when I need it.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for starting this thread....it is good to think of the good in our lives! John and I will be home in rainy and chilly New England. No special meal but I did make myself some stuffed portobellos yesterday and that will be a treat today. It will be a quiet day with no farm help coming to work so it will be very quiet here until next Monday.

I am so grateful to have hours today to listen to more of Obama’s new book. It is very long but so wonderful to listen to that it is a pleasure to have. I bought the printed form also and make notes on the audible version when there are specific parts I want to read. It is very enjoyable to have his voice again.

Happy Day everyone.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

5. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I hope everyone is doing something special even if it isn't a traditional Thanksgiving for you.

Last edited by agate; 11-27-2020 at 05:57 PM.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile Happy Thanksgiving!

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

On this, my first Thanksgiving alone, I am remembering the many Thanksgivings I shared with my extended family, and in later years, with Michael, Jonathan, and Jim. I will follow our traditions of watching the Macy's parade and the National Dog Show.

For my feast, I will prepare a Field Roast small roast, surrounded with onions and celery, and basted with veggie broth, olive oil and savory herbs, mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, peas, and cauliflower risoto (frozen). I will have leftovers for a few days.

Strong winds are predicted for this afternoon through tomorrow, so I will stress and fret about our giant eucalyptus dropping large branches.

As I do everyday, I will count my blessings and give thanks for my Angels and my wonderful friends, including all of you. I will pray for everyone to have a safe and happy Thanksgiving. I also give thanks that we have a new president.

Thank you all for your friendship and support through the decades. Abundant blessings upon you today and everyday.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Rose, does your eucalyptus tree look like this?

I hope it hangs onto its branches and won't drop them.

For the last 40 years I've almost always been alone on Thanksgiving. I can recall the times when I wasn't, very clearly. They really stand out even though some of them were very minimal. There were 5 of them, and the last one was about 9 years ago, when my son and (first) DIL and I went to a restaurant.

It was a lovely place, and the food was good. But I couldn't read the menu, couldn't hear what was said a good bit of the time, and definitely couldn't have got to the restroom. It was far away (by my reckoning) and there were some steps involved. An intelligent person would have called the restaurant and asked about the situation beforehand but I wasn't that intelligent person.

I didn't quite make it home in time but at least the accident that happened took place after I was alone at home.

The whole experience made it crystal-clear to me that I don't do well at social gatherings.

I'm enjoying being asocial or antisocial or whatever the word is for people who have changed from being moderately gregarious to being a hermit. I like peace and quiet. I'm thankful for it, in fact.
    Last edited by agate; 11-26-2020 at 09:51 AM.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Rose, I am alone, and have been most of my life. But it's the norm for me. I really enjoy it. I hope you can too. It takes some time. You hang in there.

My nephew just made his usual Thanksgiving food delivery. I'll wait until later to eat. Have a happy and reflective day. Thank you all for being here!
    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

Your photo is a silver dollar eucalyptus with a white bark. We have many of those in our neighborhood. I forget the name of our eucalyptus, but here are two photos of it from 2009 and 2014. It is much larger now, and roots are spreading into the yard.

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 10.37.24 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 10.39.20 AM.jpg

With Jonathan's and Jim's health issues, we weren't able to have it trimmed. It is on my extensive "To Do" list.

For about the last 20 years, our Thanksgivings and Christmases were just us. After Michael passed, it continued to be just the 3 of us. Because every year, this is flu season, and like COVID, we had to isolate to prevent exposure. John would have invited me to his home with his family, but he knows that I wouldn't go.

So, I'm not missing the large social gatherings at all. I miss my husband and my children, with whom I spent 24 hours everyday. They will always be my life and my everything.

I know that they are together in Bliss, and that they are very near me, which is where I find my comfort.

Howie ~

Thank you. I am doing my best to hang in there. It is a huge adjustment for me, and I know it will take a long time for me to accept it.

I'm so glad that your nephew brought you a Thanksgiving dinner. I hope the two of you had a nice visit. Is turkey on Sam's menu tonight?

I hope everyone is having a pleasant day ~

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Wow, Rose--that is quite a magnificent tree! It is so convoluted and complex that I don't know how a person even figures out which branch is coming from which part. Hard to imagine that it's even bigger now!

You must enjoy the shade and just having it there.

Whenever I am looking at blocks of houses, and there are lots of them here, I notice how few of them have any trees. Maybe the concern was that the trees would need care and might fall or damage electrical wires or something. I've heard that it was easier for a developer just to clear an entire tract without leaving any trees, and so whatever trees were there originally got demolished---and never were replaced.

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Glad to see that people are satisfied with their Thanksgiving day. I too remember so many years of feasts on Thanksgiving. We usually had between 10-15 friends for dinner. So much food. So much cooking and planning. I loved it. But, like many of you I like the solitude now. It is quiet. I have no responsibilities. It has been a pleasant day.

One fellow who works for us showed up with 2 huge trays full of traditional foods. What a surprise. Turkey for John with gravy and stuffing! Lots of veggies for me. Very sweet.

We almost. Never celebrate holidays anymore. Many seem so distorted with hectic activity and noise. I sound like an old lady now!
    Last edited by Lazarus; 11-26-2020 at 03:32 PM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

15. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast