No announcement yet.

November, 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a day! I got up this morning, washed my face, brushed my teeth and decided to go in the kitchen, take my meds and eat breakfast. Then I had planned to go back and wash my hair.

After eating some breakfast and cleaning up the dishes I set down in the recliner in the living room to wait for the house to get nice and warm. After while I got sleepy and dozed. I got up about 2:20 got my yogurt and two pieces of chocolate. My thought was I really need this chocolate today, I am sooooo tired.

I kept thinking that I would get a little get up and go in the mid to late afternoon. Finally, I went in my bathroom and while walking through my bedroom I saw my pill container and it hit me that I had not taken my thyroid medication this morning. That will just about knock me out every time. Lately, I have been putting my pill container on my bathroom vanity when I go to bed so I will be reminded to take it. But forgot it last night. I will get started back on it tomorrow, but today I got nothing done. I wanted to fix some potatoes and frozen vegetables for supper but was too tired to do it. This was before I knew what I had done.

I came on here on my cell phone and mostly read. I think I responded to one post.

Both neighbors, who are trying to help with my mail situation, called this afternoon. I laughed and talked to them and didn't tell either of them that I felt bad. I wish my mail could get straightened out.

It was 66 degrees here today and is to be 75 tomorrow. So, it is warming up. Still the nights get cold. Sam should stay on stand-by now to get under the cover to keep Howie warm.
    Virginia

Comment

Sam has made it part of her routine now. I'll bet she still does it come Summer because by then, I will be using the AC, and it's a window until right opposite of the bed, and blows cool air right on me.
      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

I went to the grocery store yesterday evening and one of the things I bought was a butternut squash. Now, if Ann can just tell me how I am going to cut that thing, I think I can cook it. Cutting it with weak hands will probably be the hardest thing for me. I was going to get some bread crumbs to mix with parmesan cheese which I have, but couldn't find it. Sister-in-law will be bringing me groceries in next day or two and I could get her to bring some, but I could also just bake with olive oil, salt and pepper and herbs, take out when done and put cheese on top with maybe some onion (diced) and cook until cheese is melted.

Does that sound alright Ann? I wanted a delicato squash, but they didn't have any. So got the butternut.
        Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by Virginia View Post
          I went to the grocery store yesterday evening and one of the things I bought was a butternut squash. Now, if Ann can just tell me how I am going to cut that thing, I think I can cook it. Cutting it with weak hands will probably be the hardest thing for me. I was going to get some bread crumbs to mix with parmesan cheese which I have, but couldn't find it. Sister-in-law will be bringing me groceries in next day or two and I could get her to bring some, but I could also just bake with olive oil, salt and pepper and herbs, take out when done and put cheese on top with maybe some onion (diced) and cook until cheese is melted.

Does that sound alright Ann? I wanted a delicato squash, but they didn't have any. So got the butternut.

Start by making several large slits through the skin with the tip of a sharp knife. This helps the air release as your squash heats up (so your squash doesn't explode when you microwave it). Next, microwave the squash on high for approximately 3-5 minutes to soften the skin, which makes it easier to cut.Oct 1, 2018
          Chatelaine › food › kitchen-tips › a...
          A Simple And Safe Way To Cut Butternut Squash | Chatelaine
          Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

Thanks Linda - great!
            Virginia

Comment

I Now, if Ann can just tell me how I am going to cut that thing, I think I can cook it. Cutting it with weak hands will probably be the hardest thing for me. I was going to get some bread crumbs to mix with parmesan cheese which I have, but couldn't find it. Sister-in-law will be bringing me groceries in next day or two and I could get her to bring some, but I could also just bake with olive oil, salt and pepper and herbs, take out when done and put cheese on top with maybe some onion (diced) and cook until cheese is melted.

Does that sound alright Ann? .
              Peter will cut that for you, Virginia, while he’s down their doing your ironing. ;-)

Cutting the squash, especially the butternut varieties, is hard. I’m glad that Linda posted a solution.

I’ve talked so much about squash Mom got hungry for it. She asked a neighbor to pick her up a squash and ended up with three zucchini. She wanted winter squash. So I tucked a very small baby Honeynut in her latest care package which she got today. Linda’s advice is timely.

ANN
              Last edited by stillstANNding; 11-23-2020, 02:18 PM.
              There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Linda's advice is indeed timely and I was glad to get it, however if Peter will also do the ironing he can take care of both jobs. Also, my knives need sharpening, unless, of course he wants to bring his own.
                Virginia

Comment

Could you get a knife sharpener, Virginia? Peter might not be bringing one.

Seriously, I have an electric can opener that came with a built-in knife sharpener. Before that I'd always used a sharpening steel but the handle was always falling off it.

I've often heard that sharp knives are absolutely essential in a kitchen. It's strange but they're safer than duller knives.
                  SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Actually, Agate my SIL recently got a new electric can opener for me and it does come with a knife sharpener on the back, and a bottle opener, and something that pops the tops off cans that have pop tops. Is this the kind you have? Without going in the kitchen to look I think it is a Hamilton Beach.
                    Virginia

Comment

Actually, Agate my SIL recently got a new electric can opener for me and it does come with a knife sharpener on the back, and a bottle opener, and something that pops the tops off cans that have pop tops. Is this the kind you have? Without going in the kitchen to look I think it is a Hamilton Beach.
                      It's a Hamilton Beach but knife-sharpening is the only thing it does besides open cans. I have my doubts about gadgets that claim to do several things. Even phones that take pictures and have flashlights even though those are everywhere now. So I was a bit suspicious when this can opener also had a knife-sharpener.

But it does a pretty good job at both opening cans and sharpening knives.
                      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Great tip on teh butternut squash :)

Comment

I decided not to cook for Thanksgiving. So, we are picking up a delicious meal at a local restaurant to eat at home.

In the meantime I am feeling frustrated about setting up this Baclofen Pump test, the details are boring, and frustrating/ we will see what happens when the office opens back up Monday.

I hope all of us find a way to enjoy the Holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunshine 2 View Post
                            I decided not to cook for Thanksgiving. So, we are picking up a delicious meal at a local restaurant to eat at home.

I think you'll be glad you made this choice. I find cooking so tiring that I'm too tired to eat the food after I've cooked it. This way you can enjoy it.

Comment

Welp, this isn't a good time for hens because a different kind of poultry is being featured but Howie and Virginia and others are being very quiet.

I hope they're just busy making turkey sandwiches and turkey salad and eating leftover pie.

My grandson was pictured with a slice of pumpkin pie, which he simply picked up and started eating. Much more efficient than using a fork.

Comment

Where is that Howie?

I'm just waking up from a long nap. I got up and made a mug of coffee with the last coffee, drank it while I looked on the net, then went to bed with Sam, and she it still asleep as I have to type over her.

I'll fix something to eat soon, and will HAVE to make a store trip tomorrow. I'm out of essentials, coffee being at the top of the list.

I hope everyone is having a great day!
                                "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X