Thread: Forum's Hermit Makes Rare Appearance !

Smile Forum's Hermit Makes Rare Appearance !

Hello everyone :)

Every six or eight years I get the wild idea that I might say something here (no one is sure why). Dropping in from time to time I often find myself inspired as so many folks work to overcome obstacles and/or face tragedies.

We all just keep on keeping on.

As for me, I am still pretending that I might ride a motorcycle again some day...its probably like falling off a bike (which I haven't done for decades either).

Almost exactly 17 years ago I posted a photo of my newborn daughter to this forum. Now a junior in high-school she continues to excel, practicing remote learning during this pandemic, while taking advanced courses she is also a flautist and a violinist. Forgive my bragging, if you would, while I tell you that she is a kind and thoughtful person; any parent would be proud. How my wife helped her to accomplish this with my bad influence(s) we shall never know.

My MS has been for a large part "quiescent" and I grow slowly less able with the passage of years almost indistinguishable from "regular" aging (except I'm only in my early sixties).

I am thankful to have been healthy enough, long enough, to to help raise my youngster even as she approaches adulthood.

I wish that you might do as well as I and that I might do as well as so many of you!

Best Regards
    Brian
    *another random thought *

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Hi Ramdon Thought, so good to see you stop by. It sounds like your daughter is doing extremely well and I don't blame you one bit for being proud. Kind and thoughtful is not always found, but especially in our young ones. You and your wife have obviously done a great job raising her.

I hope whatever abilities you feel you have lost due to MS are just fleeting ones and that everything will settle down to normal for you.

There are some of us who keep hanging on. Not as many as we use to have, but the group is close. We just wish we had a few more regulars. Maybe you could start stopping in more often. The board is not as busy on the week-ends as on some days during the week, but still some people will be stopping by to say hello to you.

What have you been doing since you were here last? We are all mostly retired.

I hope you have a good week-end.

Best wishes,
    Virginia

P.S. Maybe you could consider coming out of Hermit stage and joining us again.
    Last edited by Virginia; 10-16-2020 at 08:05 PM.
    Virginia

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Welcome back Randomthoghts. I am glad to hear about your life. Your MS sounds like you have lived with it and can still take many pleasures from life.

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome back, RandomThought!

Glad you haven't forgotten us.

Congratulations on your very remarkable daughter! Knowing how to play two difficult instruments by the age of 17 is really an achievement. Hope you're bracing yourself for her senior year with a lot of hoopla. I hope it will be an enjoyable time for your family.

As Virginia said, weekends can be quiet around here, and just now one of our regular people has been recovering from a fall and surgery. So it is even quieter than usual.

There are a bajillion MS drugs nowadays but we haven't been discussing them much here lately. More drugs keep coming down the pike but most people here have made their decisions about them. Some are taking one of them, and some aren't. Instead we tend to talk about how we're solving the "little" problems of daily living that turn out to be bigger problems for us quite often.

Some of us report on our daily exercise attempts. Some of us talk about foods we're dealing with and post recipes now and then.

There are separate threads for those discussions. Anything else often ends up in the monthly Chitchat thread.

If you have any questions about anything here, please just ask. You can send a PM to anyone here or ask a moderator.

Before you go back into hermit mode, I'll wish you a Happy Hallowe'en.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Hello Random Thought,

Congratulations on raising an accomplished, kind human being and on managing your MS at the same time.

Glad that you stopped by.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

10. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RandomThought View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hello everyone :)

Every six or eight years I get the wild idea that I might say something here (no one is sure why). Dropping in from time to time I often find myself inspired as so many folks work to overcome obstacles and/or face tragedies.

We all just keep on keeping on.

As for me, I am still pretending that I might ride a motorcycle again some day...its probably like falling off a bike (which I haven't done for decades either).

Almost exactly 17 years ago I posted a photo of my newborn daughter to this forum. Now a junior in high-school she continues to excel, practicing remote learning during this pandemic, while taking advanced courses she is also a flautist and a violinist. Forgive my bragging, if you would, while I tell you that she is a kind and thoughtful person; any parent would be proud. How my wife helped her to accomplish this with my bad influence(s) we shall never know.

My MS has been for a large part "quiescent" and I grow slowly less able with the passage of years almost indistinguishable from "regular" aging (except I'm only in my early sixties).

I am thankful to have been healthy enough, long enough, to to help raise my youngster even as she approaches adulthood.

I wish that you might do as well as I and that I might do as well as so many of you!

Best Regards
    Brian
    Nice hearing your story. Isn’t it lovely to watch your child take shape....and it has turned out so well. I once went to a Stoltzman concert at Tanglewood where he played a piece for many (5) flutes! He played one live and the others surrounded the audience through recordings. It was in the Ozawa shed and spectacular. Thanks for awakening that memory.

Aging issues vs. MS issues are indeed hard to distinguish......sometimes.

Riding a motorcycle is a hard dream to reach for but...I understand that urge to do something so physically exciting that seems just out of reach.
    Thanks for your story

Still farming at 72, Linda
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"