Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: CN Central: Let's Talk

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

funnylegs4 ~

How good to hear that you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Tonight, I will finish the leftovers from my feast of Field Roast Celebration Roast, mashed potatoes and cauliflower. As expected, it was a difficult day, but I tried to focus on the freedom Jim, Jonathan and Michael have now. I reflected on our past Thanksgiving celebrations, which was both comforting and sad. That's the thing about memories ~ they can be joyful and painful simultaneously.

Stay the course, because there is still so much, which needs to be done to level the playing field for people with disabilities. You are the future, funnylegs4.

Mary Grace ~

Your meal sounds delicious, and I know it was wonderful for you all to be together. What a treat for Kathleen to have apple soda!

All that any of us can do is the best we can do. It's incredible that you are thinking that as I am, and all of the teachers, who are up against a wall with helping their students, need to realize that is the same for them.

As a former teacher, I do understand their frustration. A bond is created in the classroom between the teacher and the students, which virtual learning cannot replicate. Children also need socialization with their peers, which COVID is preventing.

Our school district allowed students to return to campus two times a week for three hours of classes. A) COVID cases are surging, so why are you opening schools now for physical contact? These are children. They don't know how serious this is. Their masks will be off, and they'll be touching surfaces without washing their hands ... B) How much learning and interaction can actually occur meaningfully within 6 hours a week of personal contact?

For years, everything has been pointing to this ~ where the internet and social media became the norm, and real life social interaction became obsolete. What else can we consider social media to be other than contact-less connections? And the current generations are used to that ~ to seeing Grandma on FaceTime, or "distance learning" on their iPads. Most teenagers are never separated from their smart phones. In a way, we prepared for this pandemic to be connected virtually.

And, thankfully, the platforms have been provided to allow us to be connected virtually.

I'm sure your home is aglow with Christmas cheer with your lights up.

My Update

Another legal issue arose, which requires that I return to sign additional forms to the ones I signed about 2 weeks ago. It's a 15 minute appointment, and it's only a few miles from my house.

For several reasons, I decided that I wanted to drive the van and go alone. The van needs to be driven, and I need to drive, so I don't forget how to do it. I know the last part may sound silly, but I need to feel comfortable on the road. John had 6 guests for Thanksgiving dinner, so I need to social distance from him for at least a week, and being in a car isn't a good idea.

John has been wonderful about driving me everywhere, and he's always next to me to steady me when I step up or down a curb or something similar, opens doors for me, everything. Perfect gentleman always, and overprotective of me.

The thing is, I could get used to this pampering. I fear that if I depend on him too much, I will lose my independence. Or I will fear that if I don't have him with me, something might happen to me. I'm not ready nor anywhere close to being in that place yet. I know my limitations, and I am ultra careful.

Another reason is that John's availability is afternoons, and that is the time of day, when I begin to sag and drag a bit. I would prefer to do business mid morning, as I find that the authorities/officials with whom I meet may be a bit tired after lunch. I totally understand that.

So, this morning, I brought in the empty trash bins, and I fired up the van. She started immediately, engine sounds good, and I was able to back out of the driveway safely, although a van was parked in front of the house across the street from me. I consider that an obstacle, but I maneuvered around it. I drove down our main road (a hill) to the bottom, turned into a cul-de-sac, and went back up the hill to home.

It was only 5 minutes, but she drove smooth and even, brakes worked well, no alarms went off. When I saw that she has a half tank of gas in her, I thought "We could go a long way. We won't. But we could. We can't. But we could."

I love this van. She has served us so well for 22 years. I remember the few trips we took with the boys in the van, before their health declined. They loved it. They were especially fond of the TV in the back just for them. Jim would tie down their wheelchairs, then lift them out of their w/c's and put them in their custom made Captain's chairs. It was cushy.

Most of her mileage accumulated from our trips to and from the hospital, when Jim and I changed shifts at home and the hospital. When Jim felt well enough, he drove himself to/from his doctor appointments and infusions. Usually, John transported Jim, but like me, he didn't want to give up driving.

We've had a few offers to sell her through the years. Young men, who wanted to turn her into a weekend party van. I always pointed out that she has a wheelchair lift ramp and tie downs for two wheelchairs. She's not for sale. She'll be donated to someone, who needs that equipment.

And she will be donated, but for now, I can't drive John's car, because I have to go to the DMV to register it, and I am not going to do that during COVID surging.

So, when I climbed in this morning, I told her that I love her, and I know she loves me (yes, it's a machine, but we've been through a lot together). I thanked her for her service, and I patted the dashboard. "We aren't done yet."

Of course, the van across the street was still there, when I returned. It took me two tries, but I managed to get her into the driveway, without running into John's car. "We Did It!"

And, yes, all of the automobiles/vans I've owned were female. And they had names. Every one of them served me well.

To all, I send love, prayers, and positive healing energy to you and your loved ones. Be well, be safe, and be content as possible given the constraints during this difficult time. Keep searching for new ways to celebrate the holidays, and keep as many traditions in your home as you can. Remember how blessed we are to have each other, even if we can't be close physically. The best gift to give and receive this year is being healthy and safe from COVID.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

Distinguished Community Member

Rose, I hope you enjoyed your leftovers. We finished the last of ours last night. We took Kathleen to her brothers house it was really nice out and sunny so she sat outside while we helped him put up some outdoor lights. I'll add a picture of my acrobat husband hanging the lights LOL. Glad you were able to test out your van. I agree that driving some small distances is helpful to keep your skills up. I haven't been driving much since March, there's just no place I go really except local. So when I got on the highway a couple of times it felt so different. Glad she's still in good running condition. I can see why you name her, she's more than just a van to you for sure! She's freedom, she's been great help in some difficult times. It kept your sons safe and happy and she contains those memories of the trips you have shared with them.
    It's so alarming to see the covid numbers grow. I do hope our governor will take action as he did in the spring and close things up tighter.
    The teachers I know are such caring and dedicated teachers. They are kindergarten and first grade. I know they are used to making a connection that is more difficult now. One of these teachers is my best friend who i connected with because she was Kathleen's first grade teachers and she was amazing and accepted and included her so well and set an example for the teachers who followed.
    Stay well stay safe and stay connected...
    Mary GraceCA655844-0DB3-4CC7-94DD-933440476784.jpgA73F4625-D3A3-4676-8B00-FB6E54E19B30.jpg

3. The following user says "thanks"

Rose, I hope you enjoyed your leftovers. We finished the last of ours last night. We took Kathleen to her brothers house it was really nice out and sunny so she sat outside while we helped him put up some outdoor lights. I'll add a picture of my acrobat husband hanging the lights LOL. Glad you were able to test out your van. I agree that driving some small distances is helpful to keep your skills up. I haven't been driving much since March, there's just no place I go really except local. So when I got on the highway a couple of times it felt so different. Glad she's still in good running condition. I can see why you name her, she's more than just a van to you for sure! She's freedom, she's been great help in some difficult times. It kept your sons safe and happy and she contains those memories of the trips you have shared with them.
    It's so alarming to see the covid numbers grow. I do hope our governor will take action as he did in the spring and close things up tighter.
    The teachers I know are such caring and dedicated teachers. They are kindergarten and first grade. I know they are used to making a connection that is more difficult now. One of these teachers is my best friend who i connected with because she was Kathleen's first grade teachers and she was amazing and accepted and included her so well and set an example for the teachers who followed.
    Stay well stay safe and stay connected...
    Mary Grace

5. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Mary Grace ~

My first question is: why isn't your husband on a ladder?! Oh, the many times Jim was teetering on a ledge or some precarious situation! I would beg him to come down, and he'd remind me that he was a scaffolder.

Thank you for not finding it strange that I name my vehicles, and they are all female! With every one of them, I went through numerous crises, as well as miles of good memories.

Understanding my concern about entering a building during this COVID surge, the person with whom I need to meet offered to walk out to the van to get my signature. It will be as contact-less as possible that way and save me getting in and out of the van twice.

I hope Gov. Cuomo and other governors will start locking down places, because after all of the travel for Thanksgiving, cases are bound to keep surging. This is life and death. We all have to suck it up and do whatever is necessary to protect us.

Imagine what it was like in England during WWII. It was horrible. Bombs being dropped on the cities, loved ones going off to fight the war never to return, rationing of food and other supplies, economic disaster, fear. Well, now COVID is a war against all of us around the globe. We must be willing to sacrifice for the greater good.

I'm a bit disappointed with our Governor too, Mary Grace. County officials seem to be making decisions. In a state this large, that is not efficient government during a pandemic.

Wear a mask, isolate as much as possible, wear gloves, wash your hands even if you wear gloves, social distance, no more big hugs (how I miss those, as we all do), no more parties and gatherings. Until we all agree to do this, this virus is not going to be controlled.

God Bless All of Our Teachers, who are not recognized as front line essential workers. When they walk into their classrooms, they are being exposed to any number of germs among their students. And that was pre-COVID. Parents are now recognizing how vital teachers are to their children's future. That is because teachers spend more time with their children every weekday than the parents spend.

COVID has turned the World upside down. We have to work together against this virus, as if we were in the middle of a World War, because we are.

When it is time for your husband to take down the Christmas lights, please ask him to use a ladder!

To All ~ my prayers, love, and healing thoughts are with you and your loved ones. Blessings upon you all, and let's not give up the fight!

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

Rose, I'm thankful that you were able to do the signing more safely. It's so stressful to have to do anything that doesn't quite feel safe. I think you made a very good analogy about being at war. We certainly are right now. The difference is we have so many things to be thankful for and to keep us connected, busy, and entertained. We have plenty of supplies and can order them from our couch. There are so many ways to get extra help where needed as well.
    I called my husband a "flying Wallendas" . He used a ladder for part of it but there was a large section that had bushes up against the house and the ladder just didn't fit. He was not going to give up. His first thought was to get on the roof but (luckily) the ladder wasn't long enough LOL. He's quite fit for a 60 year old. I told my son to maybe leave them up till next year!LOL.
    Be well be safe!
    Mary Grace

Rose, I'm thankful that you were able to do the signing more safely. It's so stressful to have to do anything that doesn't quite feel safe. I think you made a very good analogy about being at war. We certainly are right now. The difference is we have so many things to be thankful for and to keep us connected, busy, and entertained. We have plenty of supplies and can order them from our couch. There are so many ways to get extra help where needed as well.
    I called my husband a "flying Wallendas" . He used a ladder for part of it but there was a large section that had bushes up against the house and the ladder just didn't fit. He was not going to give up. His first thought was to get on the roof but (luckily) the ladder wasn't long enough LOL. He's quite fit for a 60 year old. I told my son to maybe leave them up till next year!LOL.
    Be well be safe!
    Mary Grace

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345