October chitchat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Howie View Post
    I could hook a harness to it, and fly Sam around!
    Now that is the first intelligent use for drones that I've heard about. I think Sam would enjoy it. Great for Hallowe'en outings!
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

And I have two black cats! Sam is also mostly black. :-0

ANN
      There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

Thank you for finding a usable link for Howie.

As for drone delivery, Walmart, UPS, and Amazon are attempting to implement drones. In North Las Vegas, drones delivered COVID-19 tests to some residents within 1 mile of the Walmart as part of a pilot study on their efficacy. Here's an overview of drones, for anyone interested:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

In our area, drones are used by Real Estate agents to show aerial views of homes for sale.

I'm trying to imagine drones crowding the sky from various sources, and it doesn't seem like a good idea. I suppose we'll find out eventually one way or the other.

Howie ~

I'm excited for you to watch the new Star Trek series, and I'm quite surprised that, as a Trekkie, you didn't know about the show. I hope you enjoy it.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
        Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

And thank you for the link about drones, Rose. One part of that article concerns me somewhat:

Drones today fly automatically from warehouses to special landing pads where they deliver packages to customers. Amazon, UPS, Google and DHL are companies that are already exploring ways to deliver packages with drones instead of trucks.
          The "special landing pads" are located somewhere, I'm sure, that isn't exactly right outside my door. People with limited mobility are going to find it hard to travel to the special landing pad just to pick up a package. I don't see me doing that in midwinter, for instance.

And the article also makes it sound as if drones can collide with one another in the air, and they don't really know how the poor drones will cope with that situation.

Since drone delivery of packages weighing more than about 5 lbs. looks very pricey indeed, I wonder why Amazon and other places are bothering with it, but that's just my opinion.
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Agate, some bad news about your link to see Picard. They had a link to watch it for free, but then they wanted you to join whomever that was, for ____$ I just left, and deleted the link where I had saved it on the computer. Oh well, thanks for trying.
            "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

I thought it allowed a 7-day free trial but there must have been a catch to that. Sorry! Could you maybe get it on DVD in the near future through a local library? Some libraries are mailing requested materials to patrons now. I get movies on DVD in the mail from the local library's outreach program.
              Some of those "movies" are whole seasons of TV shows. I'm about to get Season 7 of "Endeavour," for instance.
              Last edited by agate; 10-18-2020, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I'll just wait for it to be on TV. See I have no idea where the library is, and couldn't find it if I had written directions. Maybe I can get my brother to order it, and send it to me for Christmas.

I don't drive much these days. My 2005 PT Cruiser hasn't hit 30,000 miles yet. I usually get my sister to drive me to any new location, then I can always find it again. But finding a new location on my own, forget it.
                Last edited by Howie; 10-19-2020, 05:22 AM.
                "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Agate ~

Special landing pads for the drones. The new Space Force at work! Why would anyone want to walk or drive to a special landing pad to pick up their packages? We're used to them being delivered to our door or in proximity to our door. I can't imagine any consumers, who would like this landing pad scheme! And of course, you are right that people with disabilities are not being considered in this plan. What they need are robots on the landing pads to walk to your door to deliver your package!

I just thought of another use for drones ~ aerial views of sporting events.

Howie ~

The first season of Star Trek ~ Picard on DVD is available on Amazon for $29.96. Perhaps your brother could give it to you pre-Christmas, since who knows how hard it will be to get things delivered during the holiday season.

Season 2 may be in limbo due to COVID, as are many continuing series.

THE BALLOT AND THE MAILBOX

I watched and waited all day for our mail carrier on Saturday to hand carry my ballot out to the mail truck. Somehow, I missed it.

So today, I decided that I would just put my ballot in the mailbox and hope no one would steal it. That's unlikely, of course, but we did have mail stolen last year.

Before I went out to the mailbox, I began searching for the key to open the mailbox. I usually have the key (on a key chain made by my friend, who passed from ALS in August) in my walking jacket pocket or in my pants pocket during the day. I checked all of my pockets, then I scoured the garage, the house, the driveway, the street. I became a tad frantic. Could I have left the key in the lock and forgotten, and someone stole the key?

So, I called John, and he calmed me as always, offered to break open the mailbox, which would render the lock useless against theft. I had looked up locksmiths and was prepared to call one locally. After our chat, I decided to take one more tour to see if I could find the key.

As I reached the bottom of the stairs, my eye caught the glistening of the Swarovski crystals on the key chain and the shiny silver key on the floor next to the futon. Somehow it fell out of my pocket yesterday.

I immediately called John, "You're not going to believe this!"

He laughed, "I believe it. And I know your Angels led you to it. You're keeping them pretty busy up there."

The rest of the day, I kept an eye out for the mail carrier, and sure enough I heard the truck, but missed it. I checked every hour to make sure my ballot was safe, and I'm sure that the mail carrier took it, when she delivered the mail, which I was able to retrieve, because I found the key.

That wore me out!

Prayers and healing energy for all ~ be safe, be strong, be well.

Love & Light,

Rose

Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Howie, I like Rose's idea of an early Christmas present from your brother to you. Many people do their holiday shopping very early anyway, to avoid the crowds and the possibility that things they want will be all sold out if they wait too long.

Rose, congratulations on finding the keys! It's such a wonderful feeling when something important turns up just when you've looked all over for it a hundred times and are on the verge of giving up. My keys have been "lost" any number of times, only to appear right in plain sight on top of the bed.

Comment

My door key along with my mailbox key and car key are in my door on the inside. I lock the door and leave the keys there. If I want to go to the mailbox I just turn off the alarm, take the keys from the door and go. If I want to go someplace in the car I put my alarm on "away", unlock my door on the inside, relock it on the outside and leave with my door key, car key and mailbox key. My brother made me start doing this after I once locked myself out of the house and had to call a locksmith. Now, no problem with that.
                      Virginia

Comment

I've locked myself out of the house several times and had to call a locksmith. And one other time, I lost my mailbox key, and a locksmith put a new lock on it that has 3 keys, so I keep one in the house, one on my keychain, and one in the console of the car. I'm covered.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Agate, Virginia, & Howie ~

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

My doors have either a button or a latch on the inside, and the key is only used on the outside. I have a central location for all keys, but it has been convenient for me to carry the mailbox key in my pockets, particularly when I was walking, as I retrieved my mail when I returned home.

I may ask John to take all of my keys and have duplicates made, so that he can have a set, and I can have extras. I probably have an extra mailbox key somewhere, but I have no clue where that is.

Interestingly, when I found my mailbox key, on the chain my friend had given to me 17 years ago, I opened the box and found a photo album of my friend, me and our other friends through the years, and a lovely card from my friend's husband. So, she was truly present.

Sending healing, positive energy to all ~ be well, be safe, be good to yourself.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Howie View Post
                            I'll just wait for it to be on TV. See I have no idea where the library is, and couldn't find it if I had written directions. Maybe I can get my brother to order it, and send it to me for Christmas.

I don't drive much these days. My 2005 PT Cruiser hasn't hit 30,000 miles yet. I usually get my sister to drive me to any new location, then I can always find it again. But finding a new location on my own, forget it.
                            I am glad I stumbled on this post, Howie. I do not go anyplace unless I have made practice runs and know exactly where someplace is. I do not go new places or places I have to get to on a highway. I use an old single lane ride to get to farmers’ market and know exactly when to be in which lane. Friends have a hard time understanding my difficulties. I usually say that I cannot look around and drive at the same time. Eye movement problems I guess.

My 2014 Subaru has just over 20,000 miles on it. 90% of those miles are back and forth the 30 miles to farmers market. I know where every pothole on that road is....(and avoid them!)
                            Last edited by Lazarus; 10-21-2020, 04:21 AM.
                            Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

Virginia, your key system is one I'd have problems with. When I have to go through a lot of steps to accomplish something, I tend to forget at least one, or do them in the wrong order.

I don't know how people with cars stand having keys and openers for something besides your home--that's a whole added dimension to daily living.

I have two keys--one for the building's main entrance, and one for my apartment. I have a duplicate set of those just in case, and my son has another duplicate set.

I also have exactly one mailbox key with no possibility of a duplicate..

That's it for me and keys.

If I'm locked out of the building and the managers aren't around, I wait until a resident comes along and that person will let me in. Or I could buzz a resident and ask to be let in, assuming that that person knows me. About half the people here probably would know who I am. The others would know me by sight but might not recognize my voice or name over the intercom.

If I got locked out of my apartment and the managers were here, they have a master key. If they weren't here, I'd have a problem because no neighbor has my key. I'd have to ask my son to drive over and let me in. Luckily that has never happened. Rather than do that I'd probably spend the night in the lobby and hope that the managers would be here the next morning.

A really neat feature of this building now is that there is a lockbox outside with a master key to every apartment so that if an ambulance comes for someone and can't get into that person's apartment, they can have access to the lockbox and use the master key.

Avoiding trips is an art, isn't it? The phone comes in very handy though. I don't know how many times I've saved myself a trip somewhere just with a phone call. Or prowling around a Website until I find the information I want, like actual business hours for a place so I won't go there and find it's not open. I haven't been to a post office in over 11 years and so have no idea what a post office in this town looks like. If it's like other post offices I've known, there can be long lines to wait in.

Comment

Agate, I have only 3 keys - all on the same key ring - my car key, house key and p.o. box key. When I come in from going out I have to have my keys if I have been in my car so I unlock my door on the outside, take the key out and put it on the inside and lock myself in, leaving the keys hanging there. I have a dead bolt lock on both my outside doors, and I do not use the lock that just turns on the door knob. Therefore, if I only use the dead bolt lock and my keys are always hanging there I cannot loose them.

Since my brother taught me to do this, the only way to lock myself out of anything is to lock myself out of my car, but since my car beeps when I start to get out if I have not removed my key then that is pretty hard to do. When I am driving, my car key is in the start button with my house key and P.O. box key hanging on the same ring. The three keys are always with me.

The only problem is that when I have company I kind of feel like Minnie Pearl with the tag hanging off her hat. There are my keys hanging in the door. My brother told me that is the one time I can take them out of the door when I am home and that is when I am having company. However, I have found that a number of my neighbors use this same system.
                                Virginia

Comment

Working...
                                X