No announcement yet.

October chitchat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One problem about calling: If several of us called, we might start to be a nuisance for Jeanie and the staff there. They're always coming in and wanting to do something to you in such places, and Jeanie then has to get off the phone, preferably fast so as not to keep them waiting. It could be stressful for her.

I've sent her a couple of cards. I'm in favor of cards or notes to let her know we're thinking of her. Of course we'd all like to know how she's doing but I for one would be willing to wait for that information rather than risk being in the way of her care there.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

I don't know how many of you are voting by mail, but in N.C. I have been able to track mine. We have something called "ballottrax". I put my ballot in the mailbox on Tuesday. Wednesday I went to ballottrax just to see what it was like and they already said they had been notified by the P.O. that they had my ballot and would be sending it. I just went back and they have received it and they thanked me for voting. Kind of neat. If they had not received it quickly I would have been calling them.
      Virginia

Comment

Agate, I have also sent Jeanie cards, but I told her I would call her back to see how her surgery went. I don't think more than one person should call and I was trying to ask if someone else would want to call and talk to her. Everyone should not be calling and since I have talked to her once I didn't know if someone else might want to. If she is busy with anything medical Jeanie would say so. She is not timid about speaking up about things like that.
        Virginia

Comment

I think it would be nice if you'd call, Virginia. And please say Hi to Jeanie from me! I hope she's on the mend.
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Howie ~

Strange times indeed. I'm glad that you wear a mask, when you're out. That is our first and best defense against COVID or the flu or any contagious disease.

Do you wipe down your groceries with a disinfectant when you get them home, before you put them away? Disinfectant wipes are impossible to find now. But if you can find a can of Lysol and spray it on a paper towel, that will work. I also use isopropyl alcohol. I douse a paper towel with it and use a couple of towels to wipe down everything.

Sunshine ~

John is a blessing in every way. There is nothing that he wouldn't do for me. Or Jim, or Jon. He is an essential worker, so I pray constantly for his safety. It has been so challenging for me to resist the urge to hug him. I sure miss hugs.

I'm really trying to live in the moment, but it's difficult to set aside what needs to be done and addressed in a timely manner. Just getting the van and his car sorted out is taking us weeks.

While the smoke has cleared, unfortunately our air quality is still unhealthy. I suspect this is true for all of California. I always check the local weather on line in the morning, when the air quality is "Fair." If it isn't fair, I don't take my walk. By afternoon, it is always "Unhealthy." So, I would caution your DD to check the air quality, before spending any time outside. I wear a mask, when I go outside at any time of the day to protect against the particulates, which are invisible.

Yesterday morning, as I was taking the trash bins to the street, my neighbor was pulling out of his driveway, passed my house, then backed up, rolled down his passenger window and called out to me, "Do you need help?"

I was masked, and as usual bent over. He hasn't seen me for 6 or more months, and my hair is much greyer now (of course).

"No, I'm okay. Thanks. Have a good day," I replied in shock.

I'm sure that he/his wife saw John coming to our home regularly to help with Jon and Jim. And Jim getting into/out of John's car, when he transported him to all of his appointments. And ambulances, and fire trucks, in front of our home. Surely, they have figured it out that Jim and Jon are gone, and I'm alone. But this is the first time in a decade that he's offered to help.

I texted John about my neighbor, when I returned inside. "Shocker! Sit down!"

He responded, "That IS a shocker! Are you sure it was him?!"

And then John apologized that he didn't take the bins out for me on Thursday. See what I mean about John?

Virginia ~

As it is only 2 days post surgery, I suspect that Jeanie may be feeling the effects of it all. Surgery is a trauma to the body; even small surgeries are.

So, I think it is wise to wait until Tuesday or so. Also, on the weekends, it's possible that the rehab has a lower staff-patient ratio or more phone calls from family/friends of patients. As well as outside visitors, as you mentioned about Jeanie's sons communicating with her through the window.

I'm sure that she will be happy to hear from you as our "official representative!" It will boost her spirits to know that we are all thinking of and praying for her.

QUESTION ABOUT MEDICARE/SOCIAL SECURITY

Out of the blue yesterday, it occurred to me that I haven't been sending in payments to CMS for my Medicare coverage for a year. The bills were quarterly, and Jim and I were on different dates, based upon when we enrolled. I always paid them on time, charted them for taxes, wrote them in the check register.

After Jonathan passed last year, I became officially unemployed/Retired. I decided a few months later to take my Social Security.

My question to all of you is: Is my payment for Medicare now being taken out of my Social Security?

I've searched the Medicare website to no avail. I'm terrified that my Medicare has been cancelled! Wouldn't they notify me if that was the case? You know I would be on top of that immediately, if they did.

I tore up the office today, going through bills, bank statements, tax returns ... I know I've been living in a fog for some time now, which is why I'm delayed in discovering this absence of bills for Medicare payments. But I found nothing to help me.

Before I put myself through the torture of calling Medicare, please give me your best advice or guess. Thank you so very much!

Sending healing prayers and love to all ~

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
            Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Rose, my Medicare is taken out of my SS each month. You would have received a statement from SS Administration telling you the gross amount of your SS and the net after Medicare premium comes out. I would think that your social security office might be able to tell you your gross amount and you would probably know from that if you are getting that amount or a lesser amount. If it is a lesser amount you could probably tell how much you are paying for Medicare.

Someone else on here might know of a way to find out. I haven't had much dealings with this. I do try to keep anything to do with my finances in files so that I can always look up what I might need to know if I forget something. You will get a new statement from the Social Security Administration either in late December or early in 2021. Try to remember to open and keep everything that comes from them.

I know what it is to be under a lot of stress, but some things are just very important.

I just remembered that Agate knows how to find her SS account on line and might can tell you how to look it up. I can do that with everything else I have, but I have never bothered with SS.
              Virginia

Comment

Rose, I don't wipe my groceries down every time I come home. That's just too much to do. I wear a mask, but that is as far as I'll go.
                "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Mine also comes out of my SS check, Rose. What a fright to have to worry about that.

ANN
                  Last edited by stillstANNding; 10-03-2020, 07:24 PM.
                  There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Sorry I can't help with the Medicare question, Rose. Sometimes a visit to the Website can be helpful if you're willing to spend a bit of time learning to navigate around on it. I prefer that to calling.

Seems as if they'd have let you know why the situation changed but they're notorious for not bothering to communicate.

Medicare has all sorts of subdivisions. You can be "dual eligible" (that's me--both Medicare and Medicaid). If you're dual eligible you pay no premiums.

But other categories are exempt from premiums too for various reasons, I think. Not sure though.

Comment

Agate, I don't pay premiums for Medicare, but I don't know why.
                      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

My SSDI is deposited in my checking account once a month with the payment for Medicare already deducted from it (about $130). I also have a Medigap plan through my last job, because I am medically retired. My retirement check is deposited in my checking account once a month and about $200 is deducted from it to cover my insurance.
                        Last edited by Ikoiko; 10-04-2020, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Virginia, ANN, and agate ~

Thank you so much for your guidance. Virginia, you were right about the SS statement. Today, I remembered where I filed my SS documents, and I discovered the statement SS sent to me a month after I applied in 2019. The statement details my SS benefit amount and the amount being deducted for Medicare. Whew!

I'm embarrassed that I didn't look for this statement yesterday. I was just so flustered that I couldn't think straight. That isn't unusual for me these days. I am (or was) a very organized person, but I have so many files for Jon and Jim, which I've been purging, that I lose track of where I put things temporarily until I could find space in the file cabinet.

When my dear Grandmother forgot where she put things, she would laugh, "I'd forget my head, if it wasn't attached!"

Howie ~

As agate said:

Medicare has all sorts of subdivisions. You can be "dual eligible" (that's me--both Medicare and Medicaid). If you're dual eligible you pay no premiums.
                          You are covered by Medicaid and Medicare, so you are "dual eligible."

On Another Topic ~

The information we're receiving about DT's condition and treatment is rather concerning. Having extensive (50 years) experience with pneumonia, intubation, isolation, blood gases and SATS, and treatments, I strongly feel that we are not being told the full story.

Typically, steroids are reserved for patients, who are on a ventilator. Physicians are reluctant to give patients steroids, because steroids reduce immunity and increase risk of more infection.

Reportedly, he had a fever of 103, and now magically, he has had no more fever. Highly improbable. He may be given aspirin or Tylenol to control his fever. That doesn't mean that he's "fever-free."

This afternoon/evening, he got into a Suburban to drive around Walter Reed to wave at his supporters on the sidewalk. In so doing, he put the men in his car, and every person in the caravan behind him, at risk. He has raging COVID! They wore masks. At this point, they should all be wearing PPE, shields, at least procedure disposable gowns, and gloves.

He is supposed to be in "Isolation!"

I can just imagine asking an ICU intensivist, "My son would like to go out in the van, so he can see the landscape and wave at people. Is that okay?"

The terse but courteous reply would be, "Absolutely not! I think you need to go home and get some sleep for even considering that as an option."

They had MRSA, so it was that, as well as the fact that they were seriously ill. Not good for them or others to be out of isolation.

What is with DT's doctors allowing him to do this round the hospital tour?

Meanwhile, at least a dozen people in his realm have COVID. Those numbers are likely to increase, and that's not including the Secret Service people, who have it.

I'm just incredulous by all of this showmanship and bravado. He's 74 years old and not really in great shape. For the sake of our nation, he could agree to whatever the doctors tell him to do so that he can heal and return to his office for the people.

He may believe that all of the experimental treatments he is receiving will be enough. And we all know that, even when you allow medical care and treatments to heal you, it doesn't always happen. He isn't getting excellent care, if the physicians treating him don't convince him of that.

I pray all day, every day, for our world, our people, and that we can turn it all around somehow, some way. Our planet and our civilization depend upon it turning around.

As I pray for all of you to be well, safe, free of pain and stress. We really are in this together.

Love & Light,

Rose

Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Well, that explains it. I knew I was eligible for Medicaid at one time, and used it. But now, I have Humana which covers everything Medicaid did. So now I know. Thanks Rose.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Howie ~

Actually, you should thank agate, as she is the one to clarify the dual eligible option.

Many years ago, I was told that I could apply for Medicare for Jonathan, who, like Michael, was on Medicaid. I chose not to do that, because Medicaid paid for everything anyway.

The only benefit in having Medicare as well as Medicaid for Jonathan was that the neurologists would take him as an outpatient. Since these neuros didn't do much of anything for him when he was hospitalized, I felt it was unnecessary. It also upset me that they refused to take Medicaid patients. That is simply discrimination against people, who are poor and/or disabled.

The forum has been very quiet today. Hope everyone is okay. Sending prayers and positive energy to all ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Howie, wasn't there some question a while back about whether you're on Medicaid? I can't recall how it was resolved. You probably are on it but I think you'd know because there's usually a number on a card that you sometimes are asked to present at any clinic or doctor's office, or you're supposed to remember to present it if they don't ask.

If they already have you in their system at the clinic or doctor's office, they may never bother with asking about the card or the number though. You might want to ask your doctor's office whether they have evidence that you have Medicaid.

Comment

Working...
                                X