Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: October chitchat

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, I have been going through some anxiety with family since Thursday. Got word that oldest Nephew, son of my brother who lives in South Carolina was going to have two arteries bypassed, but then they did four arteries. I was sorry to hear it, but felt he would be fine. He has been a hard working, healthy man who is 57 years old. They took him off the respirator fairly quickly Friday. However, that was when it all went downhill. They had to put in tubes to get blood and fluid out of his lungs. We kind of thought that was taken care of, but his heart rate went so high and stayed there. I think it was 170. They were considering putting in a pace maker, but finally decided to shock his heart, so they put him back to sleep. That was done late yesterday. As of now it seems to have worked and the text have slowed down.

Yesterday afternoon I cooked some pot roast that had been cut into small cubes for stew beef along with an onion, then I added potatoes and carrots. It was so good and I have enough left for tonight. I am looking forward to it. I eat much more of the potatoes and carrots than I do the meat, but the meat along with the onion flavors it, and I do eat a little of the meat.

Glad to see Howie and Ann are still around. It sounds like both of you have been busy today. Ann, how do you prepare Delicato squash?

I will try to take Ann's advice and only peek at a little news. I am afraid I will miss something if I don't watch any at all. When I think of watching news, I think of my Dad. He read two newspapers a day and always watched the evening news. There wasn't any cable back then. That's how I grew up.
    Delicate squash is incredibly sweet. And it is one of the newer varieties that have edible skins. It is oblong and the skin is green and whitish. A real delicacyy they are easy to cut and bake in about 20-30 minutes.

We are working around the clock trying to protect crops from cold nights. But things are coming to an end....I have a market Saturday but Friday night will be the coldest night we have had so, even if it warms a bit on Saturday it will be too cold to take plants out of the car. Too bad.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 10-27-2020 at 02:34 PM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We are working around the clock trying to protect crops from cold nights. B
    OK, Linda has a great excuse. The rest of us may be busy voting early and often.

I was busy with some excitement here last night when my neighbor (2 doors away but I've known her ever since I moved here--and now she's 90) fell and the ambulance came for her.

She's already broken both hips and I hope she didn't break anything this time.

Of course she fell nowhere near those handy (?) emergency pull cords this building has, and a neighbor's visiting relative came to her aid, called 911.

When I went out in the hall after hearing loud voices for over 15 minutes out there, I found my neighbor on a gurney with several uniformed EMTs PLUS a gaggle of neighbors--about 5 of them hovering around her, one patting her head, one shouting out information, etc.

This shouldn't have been this way. All of us should have been shut up in our apartments to let the EMTs do their job as efficiently as possible.

And I've been busy getting to know my new Medical Guardian response system, which arrived today. These things take time.

That's my story.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Agate ~

That's good news that your wrist and shoulder have improved. May it continue to be so. I hope your neighbor didn't break any bones. Does she have a Medical Guardian or other kind of alert system? All of that commotion around her probably didn't make her feel better, but maybe the neighbors were trying to help by giving the EMTs information about her. They do ask a lot of questions.

Virginia ~

Changing the sheets is a chore, so I feel your pain. That's wonderful that your SIL's uncle survived COVID at age 80. I hope he doesn't have any lingering effects. Apparently, there are a wide range of after effects from COVID including cognitive loss and other neurological problems.

Howie ~

Hope your doctor's appointment goes well tomorrow. Perhaps you can resolve your gabapentin refills problem with this face to face meeting.

ANN~

Your squash recipe sounds quite yummy!

Lazarus ~

I'm sorry that your weather is turning cold affecting your crops. I guess that's a farmer's occupational hazard. I hope that you are able to sell from the back of your car.

Another fire started yesterday about 20 miles from us. Smoky skies, acrid fire odor, falling ash. At least 4 firefighters have been injured seriously in both fires. While the temperatures are cooler, it is dry, and the potential for rain is nil for the next several months.

I found a surprise on my front porch this afternoon. A knock on the door, and no one was there. But a small ceramic plate with an autumnal design and 3 cookies, a Reese's cup, and fake monster teeth was next to the door. The plate was wrapped in cellophane, with a note attached: "You've been booed!" The instructions are to enjoy the treats, then make your own treats and take them to a neighbor's front door.

This is the first time this has ever happened! Folks here don't seem into Halloween as they were in the olden days. We joined John's parents, who lived two doors down, in decorating and dressing up to greet the Trick or Treaters.

Although a nice gesture, I won't be eating the goodies. But the ceramic plate is cute. I think I'll give that to John's wife, as she will have a use for it, and I won't.

All morning, I waited for the water delivery truck, and when I finally heard it, I ran out to open the garage door. He was driving away! So, I brought 9 cases of bottled water into the garage. I lifted and dragged them, as they were stacked on the opposite side of the driveway to their storage location in the garage. I'm going to contact the service and tell them to have the driver knock on my front door, because I can't do that again.

Prayers and positive, healing energy to all ~ please take super good care of yourselves ~

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Rose, what happened to you sounds like a nice alternative to trick or treating. That trick or treating custom probably won't be happening this year, and I'm not so sure kids should be encouraged to go around bothering their neighbors in order to beg for a chance to stuff themselves with candy anyway.

They would probably be wearing masks for Halloween but not the right kind of masks. They'd be clustering in groups for too long.

The kids who were trick or treating for UNICEF were another story entirely. I don't know if they still do that but I had no problem with that idea. They come around in interesting costumes but they get no candy. Instead they get a donation to UNICEF. US kids eat entirely too many sweets, IMO. (I'm obviously not meant to be a popular grandma.)

I hear you about changing bed linens, Virginia. Lifting a mattress even a couple of inches for a couple of moments is tiring. Every couple of months I rotate the mattress. I try to be in good shape when that time comes around. Even though I do this without lifting anything, I still have to rotate it.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Linda, sorry your market days about to end for this year. You work really hard and maybe it is time for you to get some rest, or maybe you and John can think of some things to do together. It has been kind of a rough year for the two of you.

Seems like Agate has been busy with neighbors and different things.

Howie, is preparing to go to the Doctor. Hope he gets a good report and hope he gets his gabapentin straightened out and will not have to get anxious every month.

Rose, has been having a good time getting a treat for Halloween. Also an anxious time keeping up with the new fire that started not too far from her.

So, I guess Ann and Sunshine just are not paying us a lot of attention. I didn't get to bed until 1AM last night. I forgot to give my shot until 12:30 and that threw me behind. Then for some reason (which I suspect had to do with Nephew) I couldn't go to sleep. I finally drifted off and the doorbell rang at 4:56AM. I got up but did not turn on any lights. I finally decided that the man who delivers my newspaper probably threw it and it hit the doorbell just right to make it ring. I then set the alarm clock so I would be up and have some clothes on when brother and his wife brought me groceries. I am very tired.

I think it is time for me to say goodnight to everyone.
    Virginia

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Well, it's earlier out here than where Virginia is, and so maybe I'll take the night shift today.

Yes, I've been busy with neighbors.

This evening one neighbor, a man, knocked on a neighbor's door and they were arguing heatedly, so loud that I went out to see. I don't usually bother but the neighbor he was bothering was one of the people involved in last night's situation. Sure enough. This man had heard a rumor about the neighbor who'd been taken to the hospital, and the rumor was completely wrong, and the two weren't understanding each other.

Just try putting a bunch of hard-of-hearing people together in one building and see the fur fly. People get things wrong so often that it would be comical except that it so often results in trouble.

But I found out that the woman who fell may have been stuck there on the floor for heaven knows how long. Luckily the woman next door to her heard her and kept calling in to her while they waited. She had no way to get to her in person because her door was locked and the woman who fell couldn't get to it to unlock it of course because she was on the floor and unable to get up.

I know the neighbor who helped her, and am impressed by her kindness as I know she's not well herself.

And yet she was able and willing to be of help to this woman, whom she probably hardly knows because the woman who fell hardly ever appears anywhere. She pretty much stays in her apartment and reads a lot.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Virginia - I am here reading several times everyday It’s just that I’ve had a burst of energy and a list of things to do to go with it. Great when energy appears at time it is needed. I’m sorry to hear about your nephew. I hope he is stabilized and continues to improve. Weird with the doorbell ringing that early. Maybe a Halloween prank?

Rose -I hope you had the windows open when you were in the car with John. He goes to lots of places. I know you’d think the same of me if I got in a car with someone other than Peter.

Agate, your building is keeping you hopping! I hope your neighbor is OK w/o another fracture.

Linda, I am thinking of you. I looked at your weather. OMG! 23F Friday night. I’m sure you don’t have time to tell us what you are trying to save from the fields because you are busy doing it. I am thinking squash, for one.

Howie - how are you today? It feels like Friday to me so I was thinking of your brother. It’s not Friday, btw. Did you get the Gabapentin squared away with your nurse practicioner? Hens want to know.

Sunshine - I hope your CT and pulmonary visit have given some direction to help you.

Ikoiko, Jendie, Ssusan and dare I ask Renee, please check in please. Any others or newbies just jump in.

So, with my temporary energy ( it’s always temporary), I walked up to the town center and got my second Shingrex shot. I don’t like having to do that at CVS. Protocols and customer behavior are much better in my health care office. I also bought some miniature Hershey’s. Little kids are coming Saturday between 4 and 6. We’re supposed to have individual goody bags set out for them. We’ll see, it’s going to be cold.

After that I went to the Farmers’ Market behind the bank. I bought a kabocha “ Sunshine” squash; two baby butternut “Honeynut” squash; 6 chipolino onions (small, flat and sweet) and a Romanesco broccoli. Look it up. Very odd but beautiful. Total spend was $9.50.

I walked home, made awesome salads and we bought spinach pie, sweet potato fries, stuffed grape leaves and baclava for dessert.

Legs spasmed last night but it was definitely worth it.

What’s your story?
    ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 10-28-2020 at 09:24 AM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Ann, I haven't been yet. My appointment is at 3:30. That's late for me. I usually schedule for an earlier time. The traffic will be bad both coming and going. Oh well. This waiting so long is killing me. I hate to wait on anything. I'll let everyone know when I get home.
    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Thank you, Howie.

May the force be with you. Have a nice cup of “Earl Grey, hot” when you get home. :-)

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Thanks Howie for promising to check in.

Ann, it is so nice that you have a burst of energy. I wish that would happen to me. I might not still be able to walk much, but I could get some other things done around here that need to be done. Right now I am going to wash my hair. I have a new type hair dryer and a new curling iron and I will try them out. I hope I like them and don't just throw them in a drawer and get my old ones back out.

Agate, the remark you made about things getting confused when you live where a lot of people do not hear well reminded me of a man I was in a live MS group with. His MS had effected his voice to the point that he could only speak very low. He moved into a senior living facility and at one of the meetings I asked him how he liked it and if he had made many new friends. He said "no" because the people were hard of hearing and they couldn't hear him.

Later, I read in our newspaper, in a section that features different individuals and was featuring him that week, that he had started writing poetry. It gave that as the reason he started doing it. He was lonely because so many people where he lived couldn't hear him. Then after that I read that he had died of pneumonia. I was sorry to read it. He always seemed like a nice, mild mannered man.

Linda, I expect you will be ready for a rest soon. You are working very hard to save everything you can.
    Virginia

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920 LastLast