Thread: Cats in the news in a negative way again

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Cats in the news in a negative way again

It seems there may be human-cat-human transmission of the SARS-CoV-2 virus also known as COVID-19. More study is advised. The risk looks really low if you look at the CDC guidelines for pet owners that is in the article.

From the New England Journal of Medicine (August 6), "Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in Domestic Cats":

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...3400?query=TOC
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Since Sam doesn't go out it appears that Howie is fairly safe, unless he gives it to her.
    Virginia

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

My cats are also indoor cats.

There seems to be a low risk of them acquiring CoVID-19. If Peter or I get the virus, we’ll try to keep the cats out of the bedroom but it won’t be easy to be sick without a cat and Lily Cat would cry at my door.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Virginia, I'd like to think that Sam is strictly indoors too but today there was this post by her assistant:

Sam went out while I carried everything in and put it away. I need to go check if she's ready to come in.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

I've been letting her out when I have a lot of groceries to carry in from the car. And now she's laying right against me as I have to reach over her to type on the computer.

I'm a goner!
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

From the CDC Guidelines linked in the article:

We are still learning about this virus, but it appears that it can spread from people to animals in some situations, especially after close contact with a person sick with COVID-19.

For information on how to protect pets from possible infection with SARS-CoV-2, see If You Have Pets.
    This is why I no longer pet the dogs I meet on my morning walk. Of course, their masters have them on a leash and usually walk away from me to social distance. The dogs are probably confused by this, because they all know me and gravitate toward me. I think they sense my sadness, loneliness, but also, they love the way I scratch behind their ears.

John has a sweet cockapoo, who stuck to me like glue, when he brought her on a visit awhile ago. As much as I would love a visit from her, I feel it is safer if he doesn't bring her.

As long as you don't have COVID (and please, God, may that continue to be so for all of us), and your cats or dogs don't go outside around other people, there's likely no concern about them getting it.

This horrible virus has killed 162,000 people in the U.S. California has finally shown a decrease in cases, now that the Governor has clamped down again. I read that Los Angeles area police are going to contact DWP, if they are called about any loud parties. DWP will shut off that home's water and power. Evidently, they've been called to a few in Hollywood Hills, so now, the hammer will fall to stop them.

In South Dakota today, 25,000 bikers gathered for an annual motorcycle rally. No mask mandate. So, no one was wearing a mask. A man and woman were interviewed at the gathering, and the woman was asked about worrying about COVID. The woman nonchalantly responded, "Oh yeah. It's out there, I guess. We'll just take our chances. No masks here!" She was so proud of being stupid and selfish.

I wanted to scream at her: "Well, it's fine if you don't care about you getting it and dying. But there are 162,000 people dead, because people like you refuse to follow the rules! You wouldn't think of riding without your leathers and your helmet,
    but a mask is too much to save lives."

Testing: We don't have enough tests, and the results take 5 to 8 days to get back. What good is that? If you're positive, you've now infected a ton of people over that period of time. This is how it spreads! That's why we have to wear masks. Because our government doesn't want to do more testing. And the results take forever, in which time, you could be positive, if you were negative, unless you are a politician or an athlete.

This is why we have more COVID cases and deaths than any other country in the world. We're Number One! Aren't we great now?

The daughter of a very close friend is being forced to liquidate her small business. She and her mom began the effort today. My heart breaks for them, because she worked so hard to make this happen, and she was successful. But COVID took that away from her and millions of other people. So, I'm really mad at COVID and certain people, who could have prevented it from getting to this point.

I didn't mean to vent, but once I got started it just poured out.

Be safe and well, dear ones. I love you and my prayers are with you and your loved ones.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"