Thread: August 2020 Chat & Musings

Distinguished Community Member

I see you, Jeanie. Good morning.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Good afternoon,

I’m concerned about Sunshine, Laz and Virginia. Ikiko and Jendie, maybe you could let us know how you are doing?

ANN

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

I am here, all is well.

I found out yesterday evening that I lost a friend Sunday. We went to High School together and he was one of the kindest men I have ever known. I don't think I have ever seen so many tributes on Facebook. He served in the Peace Corp in Romania. I can't remember how many years he served. It was two or three. Just a very fine man. Since I stopped trying to go to any school functions a few years ago, he always let me know who was there and who had died. Now it is him. I don't know why he died, but his daughters said he died peacefully, and they were with him so it was not COVID related. I will miss him.

Hope all of you are doing well. There was a tornado that touched down in a trailer court community down toward the coast. I know two people were killed, but I have not found out any other details. There were power outages, but mine did not go out. I got up at 3:40, and things did not look bad, so I went back to bed. It is my understanding that there is still much water damage in other parts of the State.

I was drying a load of bed linens late yesterday. Finally, I realized that it must be time for me to get them out of the dryer. Well, the dryer had died during drying and I had parts of the linens that had dried and parts of them that had not. I couldn't get it restarted so I came and got the invoice and specs out. I bought them 10 years ago. The dryer probably could have been fixed (maybe) but I just said the heck with it. They are 10 years old so I went on line and found new ones that were comparable to what I had and today I finally got them ordered on line through Lowe's. They will not be delivered until the 14th, but I have other sheets and towels. I put the ones I had just washed over backs of chairs and they dried last night and spread them out. They had finished drying late last night so I made my bed between 11 and 11:30PM last night. I have had washers and dryers that lasted much longer, but I did not want to fool with them. They are not the very expensive kind. I like the old fashioned kind of washer that has an agitator. So I got Maytags.

I am concerned about Sunshine because she normally doesn't go this long without checking in.

Hope Jeanie is better.
    Virginia

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

Well I'm here as usual. I didn't get up until 4. I went to bed at 1, so you do the math. I really struggle to wake up lately. I plan a store trip tomorrow, and I really want to go early.

I brewed up the last of my coffee, and made a bowl of coleslaw while that was brewing, but have had only one mug so far. I may wait until I usually go to bed (1:00) and see if I can just stay awake all night, so I can hit the store early. We'll see.

I hope all the missing folks will check in. Old folks like us worry, that's what we do!

Everyone have a pleasant evening.
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Virginia ~

I'm so very sorry that your dear friend has passed. Serving in the Peace Corps requires sacrifices and a heart filled with good will. May his beautiful soul rest peacefully.

My dear friend of 50 years, her two adult children and her grandchildren live in North Carolina. I haven't heard from her yet, and I'm concerned. I don't want to call her and use up her phone battery. I'm anxious for her to check in and update me. I'm so grateful that you are okay and didn't have any damage to your property or neighborhood.

Bummer that your dryer conked out, but having a new set will give you confidence that you will be able to do your laundry without worries. Mine have endured so many loads through the years. I just cross my fingers hoping that they will last a few more years.

Howie ~

Have you tried establishing an earlier bedtime, shutting off TV and computer, and snuggling with Sam in the dark? Research says that going to bed and getting up at the same time every day is important to sleeping properly. A dark room, as well as not using an electronic device an hour before you retire are also recommended.

Did you know that driving when sleep deprived is more dangerous than driving drunk? Years ago, we watched a program where drivers were split into two categories: sleep deprived and drunk. Each driver drove on the same obstacle course, after X number of hours without sleep or after consuming X amount of alcohol. It built up as the test went on. At their sleepiest and drunkest, the sleep deprived drivers had more accidents and mishaps on the course than the drunk drivers.

Also, sleep deprivation can trigger seizures. It is a fairly common phenomenon.

Your medications may be interfering with your sleep or causing you to have trouble waking up.

Please be safe.

Prayers for all ~

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

9. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Community Member

The storm just delt me a glancing blow on the shore of MA. 5 minutes of rain, some wind, and a rainbow. The power was out for a couple of hours.

11. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Ikoiko, so sorry I spelled your name wrong. Is the Rituxin helping you?

ANN

13. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Howie, since Rose warns against electronics and you don’t read, you and Sam could listen to music. I wouldn’t suggest rap or hard rock, but I think Sam would enjoy music from the play “Cats”. I am sure you can find it on UTube.

15. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Thumbs up

I went to bed at 11, and even after taking my usual OTC sleep med, after just lying there an hour, I got up and had some ice cream. Sam must have already retired somewhere, because she loves ice cream, and I even called her, but no Sam.

Rose, I did start the Gabapentin recently, and that's the first thing I suspected, but it warns that it may make you drowsy, not make you non-drowsy. Oh well, another medical mystery involving Howie.

Tomorrow...uh today, I'm going to CVS, and the store. I'm out of coffee, which could be added to the list of "no sleep suspects" but it never had that effect. Quite the opposite, many times I've had a cup of coffee, then lie down, and go to sleep.

I think Howie is broken.
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

17. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Cool

I made it back from the store, I got everything plus. Lately, they are out of the Compleat's dinners. So I got a variety of frozen dinners that you cook in a microwave. That's me!

Sam went out while I carried everything in and put it away. I need to go check if she's ready to come in. I'm drinking my last mug of coffee, but I got another large can of coffee, and my creamer I love so much.

Now get up sleepy heads, a new day is upon us!
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

19. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast