No announcement yet.

July chitchat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howie, this is for you only - A few years ago I got a real good deal on my car insurance. I went through "Economy Auto Insurance". They do not underwrite the policies, but they connect you with the least expensive in your area. They put me with MetLife Insurance Company and I got a really good deal that year. I have been with Metlife about 3 or 4 years, but this year they went way up on their rates. So, I was going to have to pay the same as I would with any other insurance company.

Anyway, I remembered about Economy Auto Insurance. I went into their website and they came up with Liberty Mutual Ins. Co. So, I filled out a little information and they called and gave me a quote for same amount of insurance that I had been carrying. It is $252.00 per year less than what I was going to have to pay MetLife. My insurance renews August 1st and they have locked me in for then. I did tell them I drive less than 1,000 miles a year in that car and that is not when we are in a pandemic.

Thought you might like to have this information and know that Economy Auto Insurance might can help you find cheaper insurance with a good company.
    Virginia

Comment

Virginia, the big problem for me is I have to insure the Cruiser, and Pinky which I haven't driven in years. Pinky is registered as an antique vehicle. It has Virginia tags from 1973. I don't have to update the registration each year, or pay taxes on it. It costs very little in insurance, but I wish I drove it more.

The PT Cruiser the other day coming back from the store, started running funny. I know how to bring up the self diagnostic code, but forgot it by the time I unloaded all the groceries. I'll try again in a few days, and take my notepad and write the code down.

That will tell me if it's something I can fix, or it's time to let a garage fix it. I JUST finished paying my sister back for the cost of fixing that driver side window. It has only 30,000 miles on it, but it's starting to cost me more all the time to own.

Cats and cars, can't live with them, can't live without them.
      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

The weather has been so inhospitable to our crops....everything is sloooowly ripening, sloowly growing...it is hard to find enough to pick to bring to market. It was a cold spring and we are still in moderate drought and then the sudden intense heat. Poor crops don’t know what to do!

Tomorrow should bring heavy rain which is forecast to last into Saturday....so this week’s market might be hurt. My hope is that the rain ends by early morning Saturday and the market goes on! After all, I have 2 new tires on my trailer and a spare new tire on a hub in my car. I am ready!
        Last edited by Lazarus; 07-09-2020, 02:34 PM.
        Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

Linda, yes, my garden is also behind. I looked at pictures from last year and my plants are smaller even though I planted much earlier this year (because I had the low tunnel).

I wish you well on Saturday and hope it’s a little less eventful than last week

Howie, how nice you paid your sister back. I hope all will be well with the car.

I wonder how Agate is doing with the big project.
          ANN
          Last edited by stillstANNding; 07-09-2020, 03:46 PM.
          There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Ann, I would never borrow a penny that I wouldn't pay back. I've been paying her $100 a month since the window incident happened. I JUST did pay her the last of it this month, and then this new problem. Sigh.....
            "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by stillstANNding View Post
              Linda, yes, my garden is also behind. I looked at pictures from last year and my plants are smaller even though I planted much earlier this year (because I had the low tunnel).

I wish you well on Saturday and hope it’s a little less eventful than last week

Howie, how nice you paid your sister back. I hope all will be well with the car.

I wonder how Agate is doing with the big project.
              ANN
              Thanks for wondering, ANN. There haven't been very many people signing up for the open house (by appointment only) that I'm having for this apartment but there will be 3 more days of it.

No takers is good news for me because I have far less to do but not good news for this woman's family, who will end up having to pay to have the remaining items removed, and there are a lot of items.

She was very neat but in her last years she must have accumulated too much stuff. Maybe so many memories she wanted to cherish--many boxes of family photos, all carefully preserved, framed and wrapped individually.

When it's all pulled out on display, as it is now, people see what a lot there is. I'm not sure she needed 18 handbags or 20 pairs of shoes, but there they are. It looks to me as if the residents here already have apartments stuffed to the gills and just don't want any more things.

I've put out refreshments for them (chocolate, of course) and tried to arrange things in ways that will make the experience easier for them. There's plenty of room in the bedroom now that one person took the queensize mattress and bedframe out. So I park myself in my wheelchair there while the visitors can look at things.

I'm enjoying being able to match up items with people who are pleased by them. I think this woman would have enjoyed that too. I think it's what she wanted--to have her things given to her neighbors, not sold, as a way of thanking them for their help over the years.

Yesterday one "customer" was a woman who has disliked me for the last 11 years--we had a run-in shortly after I moved in--and I was dreading her appointment, but instead she made my day by choosing quite a few things that genuinely made her happy. She left chuckling something appreciative about how it was Christmas in July.

I found out during this experience why I almost gave out during the move here 11 years ago. I can put forth only so much physical effort but no more. The problem with moving, and with this apartment clear-out, is that there are deadlines, and so I tend to overdo for several days in a row, and if I don't stop overdoing, I'm unable to go on. Sick, physically.

This time I could sense the telltale signs and stop and rest. Yesterday I was showing all of the signs of overdoing, and my face looked sickly pale with dark circles under my eyes. Today promises to be better, and the end is in sight. Unless there's a huge flurry of interest in these 3 remaining days, I'm on my way out of this and can get back to my little routines. The whole apartment will be in the hands of the management and this woman's family as of Monday. What's left in it will be their problem.

As of now, they'll have a large dresser, a smaller cabinet, a large sofa with matching armchair and footstool, a TV stand, 3 heavy glass living-room tables, a couple of lamps, pots and pans and dishes, many clothes, lots of bedding, a shower chair, a crockpot, microwave, clocks, vacuum cleaner, electric knife (I had no idea what this was), holiday decorations, a couple of wreaths, a couple of barstools, an iron and ironing board--in other words, the type of thing most people already have plenty of. However, if people want to replace something with a somewhat better version, this might be a good way for them to do that because she bought top-of-the-line things.

She used to be a building manager (when in her 80s!) and had seen better days. Like so many women in the middle class of that era, she found herself not so well off in her old age because as a mom/housewife, she hadn't paid into Social Security and so didn't get as much of a monthly retirement benefit as someone who has worked at a paying job for 45 years.
              Last edited by agate; 07-10-2020, 08:58 AM.
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Virginia View Post
                I have been reading for almost a week now. I had not read a book since early March. There has just been so much going on and I couldn't seem to settle down and focus enough, but now I have read two long books. I am going to start a 3rd. I finally just felt like if I didn't start something that I looked forward to I was going to go deeper in the dark zone. I always have enjoyed reading, so I figured that was the best thing to try.

Hope all of you are doing well.
                What have you been reading ...Did we used to have a book thread?

Speaking of threads, I had been using an empty walnut can to catch the debris off my indoor aerogarden plants. It was ugly, but functional. I have not an artistic bone inthe body, but I got a wild hair.

I have way too much embroidery thread , so I used it to wrap the can and it looks great!

920A673C-6591-4E03-9693-DE8FE3354B07.jpg

Comment

Agate, that is a lot of effort. Your step counter is sure to break.

Sunshine, good use of materials on hand and pleasing outcome. Thank you for sharing it.

ANN
                  There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

:) Agate you are amazing! I have very little energy.

The pain I have been having on my left side has now turned into full blown Shingles. I have quite a few raised skin areas and a lot of spots and some blisters. They do not itch but are uncomfortable to lie on.

Andy got me some Caladryl at the grocery store this morning and put it on my back and front. I have some meds for Herpes and I started taking them but nothing has improved since last night.

I am going to rest a lot so might not be on the board as much. Y'all behave while I rest. We are all trying to stay safe. Jeanie :)

Comment

Oh JEanie, that sounds very challenging, to say the least. Rest when you can, move when you can.

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

Your friend certainly had a lot of stuff, which at her age is probably not unusual. You have done a yeoman's job in your efforts to dispose of her furnishings. I do hope that her children acknowledge your kindness and work with a thank you of some kind. I will be happy for you, when it's over, and you can rest.

Sunshine ~

Very creative, colorful and clever way to re-purpose the can and thread!

Jeanie ~

After I read your reply to my thread in Child Neuro, my first thought was Shingles. I'm so very sorry you are suffering with this outbreak. Many healing prayers are on the way for you that the meds kick in soon and the Caladryl relieves your discomfort.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
                        Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Agate, what a job you have. Glad tomorrow will be the last day. Hope you will be able to get back to normal very soon.

Sunshine, I read Lilac Girls. It was the 2nd time I had read it, which is unusual for me. I forgot I had read it and that's why it happened. It was World War II setting. I enjoyed it 2nd time as much as first.

Then I read The Alice Network. Much of this book was during World War II. I enjoyed it also. I just started Winter Garden. I have only read one chapter, so not sure about this one yet.

Yesterday I went through drive thru at bank and then stopped at Harris Teeter. I bought a bunch of groceries. When I got home a neighbor saw me unloading them when she was passing in her car. She stopped and unloaded two loads which I greatly appreciated.

Just that little bit wore me out and I didn't feel like fixing supper, so I ordered the Blackened Grilled Salmon Salad again. It was good, but not as good as last time. They used pecans instead of walnuts. I like pecans, but walnuts are better on this salad. I have plenty for tonight, so I don't have to cook tonight either.

Sunshine, I think your creation was very pretty. Who would have thought of doing something like that with all that thread other than a creative person?

Jeanie, I am so sorry you have shingles. I seem to remember you having them before. Am I right on that? Have you ever had the shingles vaccine? They are so painful.
                          Virginia

Comment

Rose, I forgot to tell you my microwave is a little over 27 years old. It has been used and used. I have one that goes over the stove, rather than sit on the counter top. I had it installed when I moved in here. I consider a microwave a must have, though I know I could do without one. It just helps so much when one's legs are quite weak. I would have thought it would have given out long ago. I probably can't get one that good ever again - not that I plan to live another 27 years.
                            Virginia

Comment

Let's see, how was my day? OH, I took a bath. That was the highlight of my day. Other than that, I will fix a meal in a little bit. Been watching cheesy horror movies all day on the Comet channel. BORING!

Everyone have a pleasant evening!

Albert Einstein

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Virginia ~

When I mentioned to John how long you've had your microwave, as he delivered mine today, he said that he's had his for 14 years. His wife was with him at Walmart, and he told her that it's only been a couple of years since he brought us a new one. She replied, "Yes, but our microwave, over the stove, cost $400. This one we're getting for Rose is $65." Countertop microwaves are not as high quality as ones installed over the stove/range.

Most people probably have countertop microwaves, which last longer than 2 years. In our case, in the past 2 years, I warmed up 5 cups of tea, each 3 times, 2 cups of decaf, at least 2 times, bowls of soup, at least once, etc., for Jim every day. I also warmed the Attends wipes for Jon and Jim. That is probably a lot to ask of a cheap microwave, in addition to the cooking uses.

The one John found fits perfectly on the counter and is easy to use. Since it won't get the wear and tear the last one had, I'm hoping that it will last longer than 2 years.

Other than the pecans, did you enjoy your salad?

agate ~

I hope that things are winding dow for you, and that tomorrow will be a quiet day for you before you close up shop.

Jeanie ~

Thinking of and praying for you. I hope the meds are kicking in now.

Howie ~

If you had access to watch anything at all, what would your choices be? What would you like to watch on TV or computer, that you can't get with your set up?

Are you interested in cars? Old cars? Cars being fabricated and turned into "works of art?" Jim was enthralled with a cable channel, which showed a variety of fabrication series. One of them is Kin Dig:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Here are YouTube videos for Kindigit:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Of course, I watched those programs with him, even though I have no interest in cars. Nonetheless, I found the shows interesting and the end products to be artistic and mechanical wonders.

Just a thought to give you a change of viewing options.

Prayers for all ~

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
                                Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Working...
                                X