Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: July chitchat

Community Member

I wanted to speak up and tell Jeanie about my shingles experience about 3 years ago. I took Valtrex soon after the outbreak started, along with an opioid painkiller (I forget which one). The pain was so great that I had to take the painkiller for more than 3 months. In fact, I still have lingering pain in my left arm from the outbreak.

I was was aware that shingles was a painful disease, but I was unprepared for the overall flu-like symptoms I had. Those kept me almost bedridden for about 3 months. I am now a big advocate for the shingles shot, no matter how much it costs.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Rose, the last time I took the wheel, Sam hissed at me and said it was hers.
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rose, the last time I took the wheel, Sam hissed at me and said it was hers.
    Well, wasn't it?
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

IVIG was uneventful. I sat next to a fella with a mask that had sharks teeth pic over the mouth area of the mask. And he had the scruffy look of a surfer dude. So, I had to ask.... yes, a surfer. Fun convo for about 15 minutes about surfing and felt self come alive...then we both went into our sleep caves....Then, ran into a fellow swim buddy when I used to use the public pool (which resisted handicap accessibility)...she was in for cancer infusion. Nice to run into her too. Socialized about 5 minutes. That was nice too.

Told her about Udder Balm and a couple of other skin care products superior to the usual moisturizer as the meds are drying her out.

Husband showed up for pickup. And surprised nurse (and me) with an excellent bottle of rum for her....very sweet.

Watching ISais tropical storm for Jeanie, me, and our friends up in Va and NC (you know who you are!)

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) My leg strength is coming back so I can get up and on the scooter or on the bed or john. My top half still hurts awful and I started taking two Advil's. They don't do much. My Gaba was 300 mg. I am no longer taking that.

Andy brought me lunch and dinner and put the ointment on my Shingles. They are quite painful. Under my right armpit is so sore from landing on the hard tile floor for over an hour. I think a rib is cracked.

Andy was here at 6:30 AM and helped me get back to bed further on the bed. MY hair is matted. I got the brush and comb and worked all the tangles out and back into a ponytail.

Back to bed until 8:30. Several people have told me the Shingles pain goes on for months. Not a happy prospect. Stay home and stay safe. Jeanie :)

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Jeanie, that was a strong dose of Gabapentin for you to start out on. I expect if you wanted to try it your Doctor would give you 100mg 3 or 4 times per day. I don't want anything else to make you so weak, but people have told me and also this was my experience that Valtrex and Tramadol (again fairly low dose of Tramadol) to begin and then onto Gabapentin.

Ikoiko, sorry you had such a bad case. Mine was pretty bad also. I can't remember how long it lasted for me, but it was quite a long time. I was at the hairdresser when we first noticed the red spots coming up on my forehead. I go every 4 weeks and the next appointment I remember I had to cancel. I actually started on Valtrex the day I first saw the spots. I got two in that day and one the next morning and was sitting in my Doctor's office the following day at 9:30AM. Then on to the eye Doctor.

I too, am a big advocate for shingles vaccine. You never know when or where on your body it will hit. If a person gets it after taking the vaccine it will most likely be a very mild case. I would have settled for most anything that would have helped.
    Virginia

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

When you have shingles, are you allowed to takeValtrex daily for the rest of your life?
    I have HSV2 (herpes infex of genitals). Doc put me on Valtrex and kept me on it because outbreaks seem to exacerbate the neurological problems (MS at that time).
    I take it every day.
    At one point they investigated it as an MS drug but found it did not help. But Howie swears by it. Maybe it’s why my MS is mild—doubt it, but I do know h have had no HSV2 outbreaks since starting daily Valtrex: This has been since 1999.

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Sunshine, I see no reason why you couldn’t take Valtrex the same way you do now. The reason they stop it after shingles is because it is no longer effective for shingles. That doesn’t mean it isn’t effective for herpes of other types.

Shingles is “herpes zoster” which comes from having had chicken pox. If you had chicken pox the virus remains dormant in your body for the rest of your life and can become active as shingles at any time, though the older you are the more likely you are to have shingles. No relation to herpes 1 or 2.

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))

Jeanie ~

It’s good to hear that your leg strength is returning. With your level of pain you may need a full dose of Advil right now. Did the gaba and tramadol help your pain?

I hope you did not crack a rib. I went through that many years ago. It really hurt and took awhile to mend. Do you have bruising or swelling? Keep applying witch hazel to the injured areas.

Lots of healing prayers on the way.

Sunshine ~

Your infusion friends were glad to see you! That’s great that you got to visit. I prefer Bag Balm for dry skin or skin breakdown. Praying that none of you are affected by the tropical storm.

Howie ~

If Sam can steer a boat, then she can call your doctor and pharmacy 7 days before you run out. It doesn’t matter who calls. But one of you should.

Prayers for all ~ stay safe and be well.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

Sunshine is right, I do credit Valtrex with curing my HSV-1 outbreaks, and my MS. I started it right after my second exacerbation. I took it daily for almost 2 years. I now have no outbreaks of HSV-1, or exacerbations. I just wish I had started it sooner.

Rose, I'm trying to teach Sam to use the phone, but she says she's too old to learn new things.

Agate, you're good at knowing these things, but I know it's a long shot. Any chance we get paid tomorrow since the 1st and 2nd are on the weekend?

I have money, but would rather make a Friday store trip than one on a Monday. Plus it would give me the weekend to get my bills ready, and get them in the mail.
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920 LastLast