Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: July chitchat

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A house with 27 windows and seven skylights--that's mind-boggling.

My heat-avoidance strategies are many. I've always tried to move to places with north exposures. Preferably cross ventilation too but that hasn't usually been possible. Then on days when it is going to be hot, I get up early and open everything up and run fans full blast to draw the cool morning air in.

As the air outside starts warming up, I shut everything up and let the air conditioner turn itself on, which it does at 79'. I'd be more comfortable at 73' or so but don't want to get too dependent on AC.

If it cools off after the sun goes down, I sometimes open the place up again and run fans.

I even get up in the middle of the night to open windows and let even more cool air in.

We hardly ever have really hot nights here, unlike Chicago, where hot nights were very common.

I'm far from the center of town, ANN--almost in the boonies. Very far from any excitement. I've been watching some of it on TV and am glad I'm not there.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

IVIG all day.
    Looks like Jeanie and I will have some wind and rain from tropical storm this weekend. Luckily it is hitting southwest FL, not east coast.... so far.

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here in Western MA there has not been enough rain anywhere but my farm is in an area classified as abnormally dry. Many parts of the farm have plants that are burned to a crisp. We are harvesting only from areas we can water ...close to the house. The losses for farmers will be compounded by the drought. It sure has been a JOB of a year for us all. One more problem.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

About the windows and skylights: Agate, this five room house was owned by a California couple before me. They lived here for two years, renovated including all of the windows then got a divorce. In the winter, the solar gain and sunshine are wonderful.

Linda, I’ve had to water every day. Sometimes I skip half a day and do it the next morning. It must be sad to see crops fail for any reason. It’s such a delight when there is harvest.

I think Jeanie missed a day. I hope she is OK. Prayers for her.
    ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 07-29-2020 at 10:19 AM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Ann, I have two skylights and I can tell a difference when the sun is on one of them. Some people who have a unit like mine have had people come out and put something like tinted pieces of plastic (or something like that). It worked great for the two I knew about. Mine gets a little hot, but the A/C pulls it so I am not going to put anything over mine. My other one is upstairs and I am not up there so I don't know what it is like.
    Virginia

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

We had lots and lots of rain last night, also lots of really loud thunder. I just kept reading and enjoyed it hitting the skylight that is downstairs where I am. We were forecast to have lots of wind twice yesterday, but since I mostly had my head down and in my kindle reading I didn't look out to see if the wind materialized or not. I am not too bothered by storms. The alert on the TV said 60mph winds.

I had to stop this post for awhile. My sister-in-law came in and brought me fresh out of the garden tomatoes and fresh corn on the cob. She also made stuffed peppers last night, so she saved one for me. The tomatoes look especially good. I am looking forward to my dinner tonight and also for a couple of more nights with tomato sandwiches and corn on the cob. ANN, this is the best way to get garden fresh produce.

While my SIL was here she went to my mailbox and got my mail for me. I was happy about that since I had not gotten it since last Thursday.

She said their dog was really scared last night during the storms. She also said there are more forecast for tonight. So guess I can hear more thunder.

Hope all of you are doing well.
    Virginia

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) Rose I did try the Witch hazel. My Shingles are awful and my whole chest and boobs hurt. I had to call the Paramedics three times in the last two days. I apologized for calling then so much but they said that is what they are there for and not to hesitate to call.

I quit the Gaba and Tramedol and my leg strength is coming back. Andy was here about 5 times.
    This morning I got up by myself and on the scooter and to the john and back to bed. My hair is matted but I wil tend to that later. Stay safe. Jeanie :)

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jeanie, hair can certainly wait. It's amazing how many things can wait when you're recovering from a fall or whatever else you're recovering from (like shingles).

I'm glad people are in contact with you regularly, seeing that you're OK.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Jeanie, I just hate that you have this case of shingles. I wish there was something that could be done.

Did you by any chance look to see what strength Andy's Gabapentin is? It really could be that the strength is too strong or too strong for you to start out on. Mine was very low and Cat Dancer's also - 100mg is the lowest dose they make and that is what I had and Cat also said that was what she took.

I really do hope you feel better soon. You obviously are struggling.
    Virginia

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All))))))

Jeanie ~

Oh my! Did you fall and call the paramedics? Do you think the meds were affecting your balance? Iím worried about you.

Would your doctor order home health for you and bill Medicare? Would that help you to have an aide every day or at least every other day? At least you could get a bath and have your hair washed.

How about a bedside commode? Would that help?

Are you eating well and getting plenty of fluids? I wish I was there; I would pamper you. I am no Dwayne Johnson, but I did lift Jim up in bed. I could probably wrangle you. But I would make sure you didnít fall.

Did the witch hazel help? Do Advil or Tylenol help?

Continuing to hold you close in my prayers and send you healing energy.

Howie ~

Please keep track of your meds. And when you have ten pills left, call your doctor and pharmacy to tell them you need a refill. Otherwise you are going to run out every month. You take control by alerting them that you are running out. At least 7 days before you run out, call them. I had to do this for my boys and Jim every month.

It is dangerous for you to stop taking gabapentin. You are the captain of the ship. Take the wheel.

I lost the signal for my computer. I scheduled a tech for Monday earliest day available to have cables replaced. So I am coming to you from my iPad. Guess I will learn a lot about it in the next five days.

Prayers and love to all.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920 LastLast