Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: July chitchat

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yup, gloves. They get caught in keyholes when I use a key but otherwise I can do most things while wearing them. I always wear them when outside this apartment. They've been difficult to get sometimes but I keep trying until I get some and order large quantities of them.

Maybe that's one reason why seniors on Social Security received stimulus payments even though we weren't suffering from employment cutbacks. We've probably had to spend considerable money lately on gloves and masks. I know I have.

And I treated myself to something I used to have but had done without for the last 11 years--the personal emergency response system that will dial 911 if I'm unable to, have fallen and can't get up, or whatever.

This building has a built-in system involving pullcords in the bathroom and bedroom but you have to have fallen somewhere near those cords to use them, and I have questions about how well that system works anyway.

It's gone out sometimes, and someone has to come into the building and stay here and walk all the halls every 15 minutes in case someone needs help. This arrangement has gone on for days sometimes, to everyone's annoyance. Sometimes they had a security guard stationed in the lobby for this purpose. Other times the management stayed over at night.

The management hates this setup and would like to get rid of it. The other building did get rid of it entirely. I suspect it won't last much longer here. It's too flawed.

Anyway, I've found lots of uses for that stimulus payment, including $22/month for the personal emergency response system.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I had a Doctor's appointment yesterday. It had been scheduled for back in April and I got a call from them in March rescheduling until now due to COVID. I guess it gave them time to get things ready so everyone could be safe.

As usual the nurse came in first thing and took my blood pressure. No big deal because I have always had a good blood pressure reading. She was using a big machine that does everything. Her first reading was 166/81. I said "no way". She said just sit there and relax for a little bit, while I ask you some questions. So, after she got her information she took my blood pressure again 158/79. Then the Doctor came in and took it twice and she was using the stethoscope that hangs around her neck, but neither time could she hear my heart beat so we went on with the appointment. She then had the nurse come back in rolling the big machine and she told me to just sit there and relax. She set the machine to take it 3 times with a small wait in between. They used the average of the 3 and it was 158/81. My blood pressure was low all my life until the last few years when it would occasionally get to high 130s. But nothing like yesterday.

My Doctor told me they were seeing a lot of COVID. She said more and more. They do not treat it. They send patients to another location to get tested and treated. But she emphasized a lot twice.

We discussed the going back to school situation since I knew she had a son starting into college this year. He is going and will live in the dorm. The university he is going to attend is not far from us. Her high school daughter she says is also going to go back, but she said this was not right for every family. She said the circumstances for her family make it the right thing to do. Her daughter is going to attend a Private and Independent School known as Cary Academy. There will only be 12 in her class and they can socially distance. Her husband works out of home at this time and will be continuing to do so for awhile, so that makes him readily assessable to take her and pick her up. She feels that her daughter is safer going in the way she will be going than she is being around her.

It was an interesting conversation. I have been going to her for a number of years, but got to know her when I had the shingles. The first day I went with the shingles she just wanted to get me out because she wanted me to see my eye doctor that same day. She said if you can't get in I will get you in. I assured her I knew my eye doctor real well because of the problems I have had due to MS and that he definitely would work me in that day. I saw her again the following week and by then my face really looked bad. I don't know if she felt sorry for me or what, but she just set back and talked for quite awhile. I asked her about her own family and she told me about her children, then got her iphone out and showed me pictures of the children and her husband. A really good looking group of people. I told her she had a handsome husband and son and a beautiful daughter (it was true). Since then if she has just a few minutes she talks to me and I try to inquire as to how her family is.

I try to always ask my Doctors how THEY are doing. I can tell the ones that like it and the ones that do not. Most seem to respond well to being asked about their own well being.
    Last edited by Virginia; 07-24-2020 at 10:30 AM.
    Virginia

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

I'm so glad that you use gloves. I didn't intend to direct my comments about gloves toward you, as it is something I want to encourage all of us to do. And you are, and that's great.

Are there laws pertaining to availability of emergency cords in retirement communities? I would think that there should be some kind of regulations for the safety of all residents.

My grandmother fell out of her bed, and the pull cord was in her bathroom. She couldn't get to it, so she laid on the floor for 10 hours. I called her every afternoon, and she was just waiting for me to call her. She could pull the phone off of the night stand but not dial it. She got pneumonia and was hospitalized for a few weeks, before she passed at 92.

It's a better idea to equip every resident with a system like you have, so that you always have a way to get help. I'm sure your management wouldn't want to foot the bill for that, but perhaps there are (or there should be) local, state, or federal programs to provide financial assistance. Management could also write it off as a business expense. Or get a price break on ordering for so many residents, or increase rent by $10 month.

I'm glad you got your stimulus check and that it is helping to pay for this very important and necessary system.

Virginia ~

What was your doctor's opinion about your blood pressure? Is she concerned? Do you have a BP monitor to check your BP at home? I highly recommend everyone to have one. This way you can keep track of your baseline or alterations in your BP daily. It may be "white coat syndrome." Even if we don't realize it, going to the doctor or hospital or any medical setting is stressful. So, our BP accelerates.

It sounds like you have a lovely relationship with your doctor. That's great. Not so great that she's seeing a lot of COVID patients. Ugh! When will this nightmare end?

Jeanie ~

How are you doing? Prayers continuing.

Sending love and prayers to all ~

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Rose, Dr is concerned about my BP. Not a lot she can do. I have appointment to go back in few months to see if it has come down to my normal. I donít suffer from white coat syndrome. I have really never thought about it in all my years of going to Doctors because my BP has always been good - until now.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Virginia, I've had to deal with high BP issues for a long time. The doctor I have now called an ambulance one time because my BP was so high, and she didn't want me to have a stroke or heart attack right on the spot.

But I now take an assortment of BP meds, and I keep a normal BP. It's just finding the right combination of meds. It is important. I use to have normal BP with no meds, then suddenly, it went wild.

Let the doctor do their thing. They know what meds to prescribe.
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Virginia, I made the blackened salmon salad - it was fantastic!

I'm sure restaurant-quality would have been even better, but I made this specific to your description. First time I've ever blackened anything. I'd give it about a 7.5/10. Nothing I'd change, I left nothing out, and I'd make it again.

Thanks for sharing, it was very good!
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

So glad you enjoyed it Suze. Kudos to you for being so smart.
    Virginia

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

I guess all the old folks here have gone to bed by now, and just us young whipper snappers are still up.

Tomorrow, I'll be making my last trip to the store. And what will I be buying? Why beer of course. "Man does not live by bread alone".

I remember that at one time, here in Virginia, they had what was called "The blue law". You couldn't buy or sell any alcoholic beverages on Sunday.

Thank goodness those days are past.

So everyone have a restful night.
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) I got up at eleven. Sitting on the john I was making my pony tail and some how slipped off the john onto the floor. I landed on my stomach and was lodged between the john and my scooter.

I could not reach my emergency button and my upper chest and face was on the rise of the shower. I prayed for Andy to come. It was embarassing since I was exposed. Andy came about 12:30. He managed to move the scooter and got me into a sitting position. He punched the emergency button and the para medics came and lifted me up.

My boobs and my chest are sore from laying on them. Luckily no bones broke. I will be more careful when making my pony tail. I am so grateful Andy came today as i would be in bad shape if I had to stay down there for 24 hours. Stay safe everyone. Jeanie :)

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That was a close call, Jeanie! I'm so glad you weren't hurt but it sounds as if you must have been on the floor there for an hour and a half????

Multitasking is something I just can't do at all. Trying it causes trouble every time. Trying to do a ponytail while on the toilet is my idea of multitasking.

Is your emergency button the wearable kind? I have a wristband type but I believe many prefer the pendant. What a shame that it wasn't within reach for you!

OK, Howie, I'm one of those old crones who are still up at 11 PM.

I didn't know that liquor stores could be open on Sunday. I'm living in the past, obviously. In Arkansas when I was a child nothing was open on Sunday. I don't recall any liquor stores in town. People crossed the state line to Missouri to buy liquor though there were taverns that definitely sold beer because I was in some of them as a child, with adults who were buying beer there.

Sometimes my brother let me have a sip, in fact.
    Last edited by agate; 07-25-2020 at 10:17 PM. Reason: changed "bars" to "taverns" because that's what they were called
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast