Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: July chitchat

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thanks Rose, I'll check those out. You know, building a custom car, or even restoring an old classic is really a "work of art" as you described it. I've always loved working on cars and customizing them. I've had some beautiful cars, and now it's down to Pinky, and the PT Cruiser. I am fortunate to still be able to drive.
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) Sleeping is impossible. I have been awake for two nights. It hurts to lie on the swollen places on my back. The ones on my stomach and rib cage are the worst and have swelling plus a lot of blisters.

I called my PCP yesterday and he sent a RX for Valtrex to the drug store. I took three yesterday but no change yet. In fact it seems to be spreading because my immune system is compromised. There are so many painful spots. Clothes are uncomfortable so I am wearing a loose pajama shirt.

Thanks for the prayers. Jeanie :)

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Jeanie, I am worried about you. You might need something besides or addition t Valtrex. For example, do they ever use steroids?

Also, after this bout, many people go on a daily Valtrex for the rest of their life to keep the shingles suppressed, I think....

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jeanie, shingles must be dreadful--and it seems as if most people who have it wait it out until it goes away but what a miserable time it must be while they wait. I hope you're trying any available remedies. Has your doctor come up with any helpful ideas?
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) The doctor only sent the RX. He wants to see my rash. I will get Andy to take a photo of the front and back and text them to him. I do not want to go in.

So far the pain is about the same and so are the blisters. With my immune system compromised I think it will take more that a week to knock this out.

Not sleeping at all makes the nights long. I pray tonight I will sleep from exhaustion. Jeanie :)

12. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Jeanie ~

I am so sorry that you are suffering so much. What kind of pain relievers do you have on hand? Tylenol? Ibuprofen? What is safe for you to take for pain, and do you think it would help you?

When Andy texts the photos to your doctor, you should also be on the phone with your doctor telling him how you are feeling, your pain level, lack of sleep, etc. He might be able to prescribe something else to help you.

Is there any possibility that you could have a home health nurse, or a wound care nurse, visit to have a look and advise you on the best treatment, positioning, etc.? Please ask your doctor if he could prescribe home health care for you just for the duration of the Shingles. Is it difficult for you to go to the bathroom, shower, make food for yourself? If so, then please ask for in home care. Get a nurse, an aide, in to help you through this.

This probably involves a lot of bureaucratic you-know-what to get authorization from Medicare and/or your supplemental insurance, but home care is a lot cheaper than "rehab" care, as well as safer, with or without COVID.

Perhaps Andy can help you fight to get this assistance.

I don't know whether it will work, but I think it's worth a try. You won't know, unless you ask.

My prayers are with you continuously, Jeanie, and I send you healing energy that your pain will subside, and you will be able to rest and sleep.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Jeanie, there is no set time for a case of the shingles to go away, however after a certain amount of time Valtrex is no longer effective. After that you have to wait it out. That is when my Doctor started me on Gabapentin, 100mg 3 times a day. I had it on my face and my eye Doctor who is normally very conservative wanted me to take more than that.

I hesitate to recommend to you that your Doctor give you Gabapentin because I know that you have a hard time getting around and it would be really bad for you to fall. Gabapentin makes you drowsy. 100mg is the least you can take and that might help you to sleep without making you too drowsy to transfer to and from toilet. I just don't know.

I think what Rose recommended as far as having a home health nurse would be a really good thing, if only for a month. It took me a long time to get better when I had the shingles. Some people have mild cases and others have more severe cases. It sounds like yours is one of the more severe. There is a waiting period after having the shingles before one can get the first vaccine. I waited the amount of time and went for the vaccine. Then about 4 or 5 months later I got the second vaccine for it. That is suppose to be it for a number of years.

I recall that before they put me on Gabapentin they had me on a pain medication along with Valtrex. None of it helped that much. I had to wait it out. I just hope you are able to get rid of the pain. You have to have started the Valtrex right away or it doesn't do much. I did start mine right away and still it lasted for 6 weeks to 2 months if I remember correctly.

I am just so sorry you are going through this. It does sound as though you need to get some in house help for a little while.
    Virginia

16. The following 7 users say "thanks"

I got up late yesterday morning. I watched a church service that I try to watch every Sunday morning. After that I did nothing but read. I had started Winter Garden and was not sure I was going to like it, but on Saturday I decided I did like it. Then yesterday I didn't want to stop reading for long at the time. I ended up reading until late in the night and finished it. It turned out to be a really good book. Ann, your Mom would like this one.

Sunshine, I thought about you because you said you had a set number of pages to read and if by that time you didn't like it you stopped reading it. I was glad I am not like that because I would have hated to put this one down before I got to the really good parts.
    Virginia

18. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I got up late yesterday morning. I watched a church service that I try to watch every Sunday morning. After that I did nothing but read. I had started Winter Garden and was not sure I was going to like it, but on Saturday I decided I did like it. Then yesterday I didn't want to stop reading for long at the time. I ended up reading until late in the night and finished it. It turned out to be a really good book. Ann, your Mom would like this one.

Sunshine, I thought about you because you said you had a set number of pages to read and if by that time you didn't like it you stopped reading it. I was glad I am not like that because I would have hated to put this one down before I got to the really good parts.
    But, more typically I scan head, and then if it looks good again, I start to read, if not, I might go to the very end to see how the plot winds up, if its that kind of book.

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast