Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415

Thread: June chitchat

Distinguished Community Member

Agate, sorry about your neighbor. You will miss her. Apparently the daughter lives some distance from there, otherwise I would think she would be the one to go through her Mother's things. Please be very careful with yourself, both because of overdoing and the virus, since you will have contact with other people. It is a shame that your friend didn't have her dentures and also was without her cell phone. That would have meant a lot to her during her final days.

My brother and his wife brought over some groceries. She also brought me 5 more mask that she had made. She does a good job. I already had two from her. They tell me to boil them every time I wear them.
    Virginia

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Virginia, a son and a daughter are in states where the coronavirus is bad. The son is 75--the daughter is still working but probably past retirement age herself. They can't travel here because of the coronavirus. They can't even stay in their mom's apartment so they could go through things because this building has a "no visitors" policy now.

They also may not want to spend the money that it would take--and they weren't especially close to their mom, unfortunately. I'm in touch with the daughter now because there are things she wants. Another neighbor sent photos of the apartment to her, and she has visited there--only a couple of times briefly in the last 10 years!--and knows what's in it. The son doesn't want anything but he has the power of attorney, and so another neighbor is in touch with him about the financial questions.

It's all fairly straightforward, and she set things up in advance, designating this other neighbor and me in the way that she did. But because of the coronavirus, everything is much more complicated.
    Last edited by agate; 06-30-2020 at 09:32 AM.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) Agate I am sorry about your friend. I will say some extra prayers for you so this gets easier. Take care of you we need you. Jeanie :)

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Agate, I had brain fog when I typed that. I know that people are not even going to funerals now. So, even if they had wanted to be there they would be unable to do so.

We are in a mess like no one alive has ever seen.
    Virginia

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, it's these major life events that are putting quite a strain on everyone because everything has to be done differently or not done at all--graduations, funerals, birthday celebrations, weddings.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

They came and fixed the lost key to my mailbox. I have 3 now.

I put one on my key ring, and the other two in my desk. He said I have a lot of mail in there, which means one or both or the items I ordered are here. I'll get everything tomorrow when I make my trash run to the dump.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

Recertification, a dental appointment, and the loss of your friend and attending to her estate ~ your plate is overflowing. You are in my prayers.

I'm so sorry for your loss, and I'm sad that her care was subpar. Losing dentures and cell phones. I'm just shaking my head and really disturbed. I know about sub acute care facilities, as does Jeanie, as did Cat, and many others. It's heartbreaking.

She trusted you to take care of her personal belongings, which is a true affirmation of friendship. You are a wonderful friend to ensure that her wishes are realized. I hope the disposition of her belongings will go smoothly.

Sending you positive energy and prayers for strength.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was thinking of those friends we make as our lives get smaller and the people who were part of our lives disappear. Strong and intimate friendships grow within elderly communities that are uniquely lovely. Your friend, Agate, was lucky indeed.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415